Olympics

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That analogy doesn't work at all.

The objective of golf is to complete the course in the fewest number of strokes. It doesn't matter what club you use, what techniques or what strategy, all that matters is the score.

I think sport is purer when there is a simple objective: like fastest time or most goals.

With swimming, adding different techniques like butterfly seems to over complicate things. To use your analogy, it's the equivalent of having separate golf gold medals for the lowest score with irons only, punch shots only, draw only, fade only etc.

I'm not trying to knock swimmers - they are some of the finest athletes in the world with incredible dedication.

Aye, OK.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am still somewhat surprised that this is going ahead at all. I am not sure that Japan gain by supporting it going ahead. They will have spent millions on infrastructure and on putting on the event and they are going to see nothing back from tourism or, in fact, from promotion of the country. Surely the only people who gain from this are the IOC from TV and sponsorship money.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There have been a lot of long term benefits with sports that aren’t in the headlines - a lot of those sports that never got any money previously are booming , lots of hickey pitches built , pools built up take on many sports - there is a lot that goes back into grass roots at the non headline sports.

Also not in the headlines are the myths of the legacy of the Olympics.

Dig a little deeper and you can find plenty of reports telling about the myths of the Olympics.

Especially of the 2012 Olympics ,where is all the social housing that was promised when the Olympics village was built?

The hype of the Olympics is always positive by most of the media and never a balanced view.

Brazil never got any economic benefit from hosting in fact it cost them millions to host.

Japan will be worse especially because of COVID , most Japanese don’t want the Olympics and I can’t blame them.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am still somewhat surprised that this is going ahead at all. I am not sure that Japan gain by supporting it going ahead. They will have spent millions on infrastructure and on putting on the event and they are going to see nothing back from tourism or, in fact, from promotion of the country. Surely the only people who gain from this are the IOC from TV and sponsorship money.
IIRC correctly, it's more a case that they can't stop it now without having to pay damages to all the sponsors, broadcasters, etc. The contract the hosts sign doesn't give them a unilateral right to pull out; it has to be with OIC approval. So if they cancel it they've not only lost all the infrastructure money, but also additional penalties.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
IIRC correctly, it's more a case that they can't stop it now without having to pay damages to all the sponsors, broadcasters, etc. The contract the hosts sign doesn't give them a unilateral right to pull out; it has to be with OIC approval. So if they cancel it they've not only lost all the infrastructure money, but also additional penalties.

And I am guessing that broadcasters and sponsors don't want to be messed around by delaying another year, nor does the rest of the athletics calender as I am guessing the world championships are due in 2022.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Olympic soccer is a bit of a grey area.

An Olympic sport since 1900, but...
"Since 1992 male competitors have been required to be under 23 years old; since 1996, a maximum of three over-23-year-old players have been allowed per squad."

What is the point when competing nations don't need to send their best players, and they can pick and choose if they send both male and female teams, or just women as with GB?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Showing my age here, but I remember the Tokyo Olympics in 1964.
Lynn (the leap) Davies from the Valleys won gold.
TV news coverage started with a tune called 'Good Morning Tokyo'.
It was all in black and white, and that's all I can recall.

Lynn cam from Bridgend. Valleys??

Thats like saying the Open last week was in London

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
First morning. Red button to watch the gymnastics with road race on main channel. 15 minutes in and the BBC decide to change that and have gymnastics on main channel and road race on red button...

They do my flipping head in!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Gymnastics is a great watch, went there in 2012 to Beth Tweddle medal.

The person who is the worst that qualified is still an absolutely amazing athlete and astonishing to watch.

Air pistol shooting on the other hand, people raise arms and you hear clicks. Calling bingo numbers has a similar excitement. Didn’t see archery yet, but at least you can see the arrow impacting the target.

I didn’t realise 3 on 3 basketball became a proper sport. Shame it’s on Eurosport and I can’t watch it. But then, all the real proper ballers are in 5 on 5 teams.

D

Deleted member 15344

Such a shame that the BBC can only show two live sports ? - lots of those minority sports are going to lose exposure

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Showing my age here, but I remember the Tokyo Olympics in 1964.
Lynn (the leap) Davies from the Valleys won gold.
TV news coverage started with a tune called 'Good Morning Tokyo'.
It was all in black and white, and that's all I can recall.
My first memory of Olympics too. As a Kiwi, it was most memorable for Peter Snell's double Gold that we heard about on the radio and saw the following day(s) in black and white from the newsreel that was flown over! My how things have changed!