Old School Competition at Clitheroe Golf Club

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
One or two will already know that I like to get out on the course with vintage clubs, as can be seen from the old school set in my signature (some cheeky so and so's might say that both sets of clubs are vintage) and I believe that there are a few others on here who are also keen on giving the older clubs an outing.

Hopefully you'll be as thrilled as I was to see the "Historic Golf Open Competition" this summer at Clitheroe Golf Club.
Clitheroe is a very nice looking course that has been used for Open qualifying, you'll get to play this classic James Braid course for just £25.

For those worried about making an investment in clubs that you might rarely use, sets of clubs are available to hire for the day at just £15.

It's on Tuesday 18th July, take a look and try something different, there's no feeling like flushing a persimmon driver down the middle of the fairway!

See link below, I've booked a 13.10 tee time.

http://www.clitheroegolfclub.com/visitors/visitor_tee_booking/

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I fancied a bit of this after you did a meet last year, so thought I'd keep an eye out for some clubs, but havent got any yet. Still keeping an eye out though.

A weekday game rules me out for this though.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I fancied a bit of this after you did a meet last year, so thought I'd keep an eye out for some clubs, but havent got any yet. Still keeping an eye out though.

A weekday game rules me out for this though.

Can't you take a day's holiday Pete?
£40 including club hire, got to be worth it!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can't you take a day's holiday Pete?
£40 including club hire, got to be worth it!

Already struggling this year for hols. RSG/RCP, Sunningdale, probable NI trip, Verona, Copenhagen and 2 more hols still to book.

If I do manage to get an olde worlde set and you do another one on a weekend, I may be up for it though.:thup:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nick, I take it you are the one person booked so far at 13.10, so if I enter I just take up another of the slots at that time.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nick, I take it you are the one person booked so far at 13.10, so if I enter I just take up another of the slots at that time.

That's right Louise!

Are you thinking of hiring or buying?
Sets are fairly easy to find on ebay, you might have to buy woods and irons separate though.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Already struggling this year for hols. RSG/RCP, Sunningdale, probable NI trip, Verona, Copenhagen and 2 more hols still to book.

If I do manage to get an olde worlde set and you do another one on a weekend, I may be up for it though.:thup:

Good stuff, hopefully I'll sort something out.
(You're a busy man!)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Great idea! I'm travelling Up North that week for The Open at Royal Birkdale so may give this a go. Think I've got enough Jack Nicklaus persimmon clubs in the garage to make a full set, otherwise I'll look to hire on the day.

My swing fits the bill anyway...:swing:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Great idea! I'm travelling Up North that week for The Open at Royal Birkdale so may give this a go. Think I've got enough Jack Nicklaus persimmon clubs in the garage to make a full set, otherwise I'll look to hire on the day.

My swing fits the bill anyway...:swing:

Be great to see you there!

I'd like to say get your name down quick before all the places are gone but there doesn't seem to be much of a rush at the moment.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had I still been in England I would have been all over this again. last years old school meet was a lot of fun. My bullseye putter is now a permanent fixture in my normal golf bag.

Clithero is a lovely course. The greens were super quick and baked last year. A real challenge. Enjoy folks. Hope you guys and gals get a good turn out.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

My God, with a 2 iron, as well. I bet that rattles through your bones when you dont catch it right.:eek:

D

Deleted member 16999

One or two will already know that I like to get out on the course with vintage clubs, as can be seen from the old school set in my signature (some cheeky so and so's might say that both sets of clubs are vintage) and I believe that there are a few others on here who are also keen on giving the older clubs an outing.

Hopefully you'll be as thrilled as I was to see the "Historic Golf Open Competition" this summer at Clitheroe Golf Club.
Clitheroe is a very nice looking course that has been used for Open qualifying, you'll get to play this classic James Braid course for just £25.

For those worried about making an investment in clubs that you might rarely use, sets of clubs are available to hire for the day at just £15.

It's on Tuesday 18th July, take a look and try something different, there's no feeling like flushing a persimmon driver down the middle of the fairway!

See link below, I've booked a 13.10 tee time.

http://www.clitheroegolfclub.com/visitors/visitor_tee_booking/

Nick, When are clubs classed as vintage? Is there any particular rules to age, materials etc

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nick, When are clubs classed as vintage? Is there any particular rules to age, materials etc

Hi Paul, the definition is pretty loose and there are no written classifications as far as I'm aware, the idea is to encourage people to give it a go.

As long as the woods are wooden (laminated should be fine, they'd better be as that's what I'm taking!), irons are of a blade type from the 1980s or earlier and the putter is also 1980s or older then I don't think you'll have any problems.

Graphite shafts would be frowned upon. :eek:

The intention is for all to have an enjoyable day, they'll even accept players using modern gear if that's what you really want to play, but you can do that anywhere and it rather defeats the object.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hi Paul, the definition is pretty loose and there are no written classifications as far as I'm aware, the idea is to encourage people to give it a go.

As long as the woods are wooden (laminated should be fine, they'd better be as that's what I'm taking!), irons are of a blade type from the 1980s or earlier and the putter is also 1980s or older then I don't think you'll have any problems.

Graphite shafts would be frowned upon. :eek:

The intention is for all to have an enjoyable day, they'll even accept players using modern gear if that's what you really want to play, but you can do that anywhere and it rather defeats the object.
Cheers, already got a couple of woods then, might have to start looking for some irons,😃

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Cheers, already got a couple of woods then, might have to start looking for some irons,😃

Iron sets are pretty easy to find for ridiculously low prices if you're prepared to collect, just search ebay using the nearest first filter.

Collect from Nottingham, buy it now for 99p, lovely set of Pinseeker irons
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-pi...091103?hash=item3adade16df:g:sqgAAOSwCU1Yq2WZ

Range Master, 3 to SW, £5, collect from Herts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Set-...627818?hash=item41be5ccfea:g:SowAAOSw32lYoG4P