Old girlfriends...

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
…you should never go back. Or should you?

I’m not actually talking about the fairer sex here, I value my jewels as they are and not on the mantelpiece floating in a jar of formaldehyde.

I’m talking about clubs, flat sticks in my case. Having had more putters than Maria Sharapova’s had prescriptions (ooh!), I’ve eventually returned to one I dabbled with last year, a Versa 1W. The shape of the head is perfect for me; a wide back blade is something I really like, but don’t see too many of. Not crazy about the zebra stripes but don’t hate them either.

So, has anyone had notable success or failure returning to an old flame? Did it last? Or did she turn out to be as mental you first thought and just wouldn’t get the ball……….I’ll leave it there.

Cheers

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've just dumped (not literally) my G25 hybrid and replaced it with a very old Cleveland HiBore 5 wood. It behaved at the range, so it'll be interesting to see what happens at the course on Saturday.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Replaced my Ping B60 putter last year with a Scotty Newport after a near thirty year affair - happy with the Scotty and probably won't ever go back to the B60, but it's the only golf club I own that I'd never sell or throw away.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I only have two putters but do play the field a bit between them

Usually its the TM smoke blade with its insert face for most rounds but I've a milled face Nicklaus bear claw that's built like a tank and weighs about the same, it goes in when I think greens will be slow

Had the same grip fitted to both so I hold them the same & both being blades their 'outfits' are interchangeable!

(I don't let them see each other, it was close once when one was in the kitchen and t'other was heading to the bedroom but I think I got away with it ;))

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My original Ping Anser 2. Needs a new shaft and and grip (Triggers broom).

Cobra Baffler hybrid. Very easy to hit

Callaway steelhead+ 3+5 woods. Best fairway woods I ever owned and should never have got rid

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Titleist 762 irons. I felt like I could do anything with them, high low left right.
I changed them for the complete opposite, a chunky set of Callaway x18 that did what they said on the tin but gave me no enjoyment whatsoever.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good grief no - I'd not want to know how much money I'd wasted believing the shiney new clubs had done nowt

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never look back....as there is a reason it didnt work in the first place. "Having a break" just doesn't work.

Still talking about putters ?

I'm just jealous of my mate who has only ever had one (putter). He fell in love at 15 and they have been together for almost 30yrs

He has had many birdies in that time though :whistle: