Old Course - Xmas Day

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been told by a young fella I recently played an Open with, that St Andrews on Xmas Day is just walk on and play (no pay). I've never heard of this, any truth as I can't find any info on it?

D

Deleted Member 1156

You might get away with it unless it falls on a Sunday.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Assuming it's not a legitimate free course and it is left with flags in, I wouldn't want to play... i.e. you'd effectively be stealing golf. It it was Augusta, then maybe I'd be tempted to go and play 9 holes as I certainly wouldn't have a moral issue with stealing golf from Augusta.

But if you are that keen to play St. Andrews, especially through the Winter, then just go and play it. It's reasonably accessible and not that expensive.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
But if you are that keen to play St. Andrews, especially through the Winter, then just go and play it. It's reasonably accessible and not that expensive.
Not particularly, but a fellow single mate was the one who got the info and is keen to play, didn't sound legit, seems it isn't. (y)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It’s also worth noting that in the winter you have to play fairway shots off a mat. I totally understand why, but there’s no way it would be as ‘real’ as playing the place in season.

Great place to play :cool:

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It’s also worth noting that in the winter you have to play fairway shots off a mat. I totally understand why, but there’s no way it would be as ‘real’ as playing the place in season.

Great place to play :cool:

If you're sneaking on when it's closed you're hardly likely to conform by using a mat while doing so are you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can't believe anyone would rather play golf than spend it with friends and family at that time of year. It's stealing plain and simple and would be officially closed and plenty of H&S considerations with the public walking about

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't believe anyone would rather play golf than spend it with friends and family at that time of year. It's stealing plain and simple and would be officially closed and plenty of H&S considerations with the public walking about

Some people don't celebrate Christmas and plenty others can't be bothered with it.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

Why not?

I play golf Christmas Day, have done for the past 5 years.
I’m not the only one there. I’ve seen chaps at the range. One or two groups on.
I don’t do Christmas. Never liked the day itself. My mrs goes to her family’s. My parents go out with friends.

If I lived up by St. Andrews I’d be stealing a round. No problem.
You could always post a little green fee through the door.
Two club near me operate an “honesty box” in summer.