Old Chess Boards

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Anyone know anything about Chess Boards?

I've got one, its definitely over 70 or 80 years old. Its just sitting in a cupboard.

What's the best way to get an idea of its worth, or to move it on without getting ripped off? I am sure the local antique bloke will offer me £3 :D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A lot depends on what it’s made from. A basic board isn’t worth a huge amount, a few quid. However, a walnut & amber board might go as high as £20k. An ebony & ivory board could bring a good price, £300-ish, but shifting anything with ivory in it can be problematic - you need to prove when the ivory was culled.

If you know the make, Google it. It’s not unknown for some boards to go for up to £7k. Sotheby’s & Christie’s will auction the good stuff but you could put a good board into a provincial auction house and lose out.

One of my boards, wood inlaid and felt lined tray, around £200 twenty years ago, inc. pieces(heavy metal). American war of Independence. To be honest, it’s not worth much more than I paid for it. The boards are coming out of southern Italy for less than €200 now.

1716809195097.jpeg

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Therein lies the issue. No makers name, not sure of materials, but quite heavy wood. A few marks , sadly too, but it got lots of use when I was a kid!

I wouldn’t worry about the marks, they’re seen as patina, and can actually add to the value…

sammyzsum

Banned
Visit site
Having an old chess board sounds intriguing. If it's been tucked away in your cupboard for decades, it could have some real history behind it.