First post

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Hi

I couldn’t find a new members section of the forum so thought I’d post here.

I took up golf properly in April this year after spending a part of lockdown contemplating my next move when it came to sports.

I have played roughly 10 rounds - my first round I hit 125. 6 lessons later, dozens of hours spent up the Top Tracer and a fresh set of custom fitted clubs / driver and I’ve just hit my best score today of 89 on a par 70.

I’m definitely in this sport for the long haul and really hope one day soon I can consistantly be in the 80’s (which is the target I am setting myself). I am happy with my progress but desperately want to get better to a point where I am not thinking about anything during my swing.

Just a quick introduction as I’ve gone balls deep into this game which I am throughly enjoying.

If anyone knows of any society type / match play games in the area of Coventry and Warwickshire please do get in touch.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Welcome.
You have made fantastic progress in a very short time. You really ought to be thinking about joining a club, getting a handicap and playing competitively and socially in that club. You seem to be enjoying taking it fairly seriously in order to improve. I think you are far more likely to find like-minded people as a member of a club than you might in society golf.
I've been on this forum a relatively short time, but I've been playing golf for a long time. I think you will get plenty of opinions and offers of advice. All will wish you well and encourage.
In for the long haul you say - join a club.
Where did you have lessons and which course or courses have you been playing?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Well done, that recent round must have been a great feeling. Just keep in mind golf can be a cruel mistress - like stocks & shares the scores can go up & down. Putting in the graft doesn't always bring the results immediately. Sounds like you are hooked though, welcome to the madhouse.
Were your lessons at the range, they may have some advice on games/groups. As above joining a club is one way. You could try Facebook as there are various groups on there also.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Thanks ^

Yes I have made some very big gains but for the expense of my partner who now thinks I’m having a full on affair with one of the Top Tracer girls.

There is only one club at the moment which I have applied for (my nearest club and also the best priced) but unfortunately I am on a waiting list due to club being so full due to another local club closing its doors for good.
I’ll be totally honest with you and say im reluctant to join anywhere else right this minute due to price. I play with a member over at the Warwickshire (also where I have my lessons) and at £1800 a year this is something out of my budget especially after already blowing my budget for this year on clubs and lessons. I’m a blue collar worker with two young children, mortgage etc so it’s very hard for me to justify that kind of money especially now my partner has reduced her working hours. I am very much enjoying being a nomad at present but I would like to start being competitive to see if it can raise my game.

One thing I am surprised about regarding golf clubs is that you can only join if you pay for a season. Surely there should be more to get new golfers going otherwise it just looks like a sport that will only cater for the rich. The thought of paying as I play whilst experiencing all these different courses is very much up my street this minute, and tbh it almost feels like I’m shopping around to where I will base myself next April.

So far I have played at Whitefields, West Midlands Golf, Warwickshire (Kings & Earls), Stoneleigh, Forest of Arden (Aylesford) and Warwick racecourse. I have my first 4 ball booked at the Brabazon in two weeks time.

I will ask my coach in regards to groups / games but as to Facebook I wouldn’t know where to start.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. I am itching to get out and play today but unfortunately the misses is at work and I am on daddy day care. How long does this honeymoon phase last btw?

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Welcome, and yes that's some feat to go 125 to 89!

You'll now think, talk and live golf much to everyone's (whom don't golf) chagrin! I'm personally guilty of doing swings with an imaginary club when I'm standing around say at a train station platform :ROFLMAO:

You'll also be skint buying new clubs!

Bamberdele21

Visit site
bobmac are you 61?

Sats - funny you mention this. If I’m over tired I will end up doing practice swings in my garden at 2am with the back light on. My gf thinks I’ve lost the plot.

Not sure what the neighbours think

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And just wait until you are on a train or in the car, you see a nice rolling piece of land and think that would make a good golf hole or two. Then you know all is lost ?

On that basis, I know all is lost ... one of my golf buddies and I went with our wives to Petworth House recently and, as we were walking in the grounds, I said that one could turn this into a great golf course. My friend said that he was just thinking that too.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am sure “Fullthrottle” is a member in the Coventry area. Not sure which course he is at but I think it’s a nine holes with different pin positions for the front and back nine. He could well be the best from your area to advise.
That said, welcome to the forum me man.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Not all clubs make you pay for a season upfront ... I have always paid by monthly direct debit at mine.
Am sure “Fullthrottle” is a member in the Coventry area. Not sure which course he is at but I think it’s a nine holes with different pin positions for the front and back nine. He could well be the best from your area to advise.
That said, welcome to the forum me man.

Nice one

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a member at Copsewood Grange, we now have a waiting list for the first time in 20 years,

Membership may re-open but we are wary of having more players than spaces.

Fees are pro-rata for the season, this season full membership was £492,

If you want a game let me know, and I'm sure we can sort a tee time out one evening or I can try and get you out on a Sunday

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I'm a member at Copsewood Grange, we now have a waiting list for the first time in 20 years,

Membership may re-open but we are wary of having more players than spaces.

Fees are pro-rata for the season, this season full membership was £492,

If you want a game let me know, and I'm sure we can sort a tee time out one evening or I can try and get you out on a Sunday

Brilliant. I’d look forward to it.

I have just been into looking into what Voyager EMH suggested and it turns out I have a couple of friends in this scheme. Only thing is they are members at the Welcombe (which I’m playing tomorrow for the first time) and that is in Stratford. The nearest course on the scheme for me to join is The Windmill which I have never played before. The only downside to this scheme is that Whitefields has recently removed itself and that would have been my number one choice.

I will assume you have played at The Windmill in the past so could you give your honest opinions on this course / club.

I would have probably joined Copsewood had I not been too late to the party but after reviewing this playmoregolf scheme my friend has assured me it is brilliant.

Now I’m not sure if he’s just using me as his referral so he can get 10 extra points lol but it will be interesting to see how much I enjoy playing these two courses over the next week.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse and well done on your progress.
Lots of good advice to be had here , don't be afraid to ask (y)

Beware :eek: your best round is usually followed by your worst :p.
BTW BobMac is /was a teaching Pro, listen to him (y)(y)