Off to the Algarve.... NERVOUS!

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
as many of you know i'm new to the wonderful, frustrating world of golf. Been playing for about a month now - had about 4 lessons and visiting the range a couple of times a week.
well with the missus banging on about a holiday i decided to book us in for a week at the Le Meridien Penina Hotel/Golf Complex in Portugal.
So she'll be on the beach whilst i go for daily rounds.

thing is - i'm worried! will be playing on my own with strangers for the first time.

one small comfort is i pick up my new customised Mizzy's on Friday!

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
make that i pick my new Mizzy's up tomorrow!
great service from AG, i only ordered them last thursday :) a day off work to practice with them methinks.

ps. one other thing. as you can see from my bag i have a 3wood and a hybrid. i don't think i'm up to a driver yet (i traded in my Nike driver for the 3wood) but do you think i should look at a 5wood? for off the tee?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I love playing with new people, to me it is one of the best things about golf that you get to meet people with a common interested. Yes there will always be the prats but the mates you make more than make up for it.

My crowd I go out with on a tuesday were new to me not so long ago but they are a great crowd, we play golf but also have such a good crack that I virtually end up weeing myself with laughter when we go out. I also find that I play better when having a laugh, in good company, with plenty of piss-taking thrown in.

I am playing in one of our society days on tuesday, there are 40 of us and I have chose to be put with 3 strangers as I want to get to know as many people in the society as possible.

Enjoy yourself out there buddy and let us know how you get on.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can you give us a 'field report' when you get back?

Would love to hear how you get on NM . I'm working up to a similar trip myself (still planning) and can't wait to hear what happens.

Have fun

Bill

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
great thing about golf is, no matter where you are, on your own or not, you can make a friend in an instant and it lasts a lifetime!

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
will do Bill... i'm there for 6 days so plan on just doing 3 rounds on alternate days (depending how i get on, on the first round!) but they do have a short course too plus a range etc. so whatever happens with the rounds at least i'm going to have a hell of a lot of practice for the next week!

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
well all i can say is what a week!
day one... no golf, but i did propose to my girlfriend so we're now engaged.

day 2 = round 1, didn't bother scoring
day 3 = 97
day 4 = 90
day 5 = 85
the place was amazing, i'll definately go back and loved every minute of it. as you can see by my scores every round was an improvement.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
may i add the hotel we stayed in was first class and perfectly geared up for a great weeks golf. there was a great driving range (a first for me on a grass range), 2 practice putting greens and a practice chipping green.

i was nervous about playing with strangers for the first time but managed to tee off on my own for each round! result.

overall i have to say it was a superb weeks golfing and i made major improvements to my game. only problem was my driving off the tee which resulted in me keeping the 3wood in the bag and using the 3 or 4iron off the tee which kept me on the fairway.