Obsessed With Equipment?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve tried but I browse AG website but nothing really catches my eye. I just keep thinking back to my own gear and I just can’t justify any purchase. The price is the biggest turn off.

Ping gear is probably the only exception to the above but still the prices make me walk on.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve tried but I browse AG website but nothing really catches my eye. I just keep thinking back to my own gear and I just can’t justify any purchase. The price is the biggest turn off.

Ping gear is probably the only exception to the above but still the prices make me walk on.

I had a year of chopping and changing to get the right mix of clubs for me

Now I have them I’m happy. They are still pretty new (Sm5, tm m2 2016, 716 ap1) but they aren’t shinny anymore. Most of the people I play with have had their clubs for years and play very consistently

I played with an old friend twice this summer (he was the first player I ever played with who wasn’t related to me) anyways we both 31 .. he still has his same irons from when we were 16 , a g5 or g10 (can’t remember) driver and an old putter with a new grip

He still plays very well and to a better level than I’ll ever be.

Defo not equipment

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I played with an old friend twice this summer (he was the first player I ever played with who wasn’t related to me) anyways we both 31 .. he still has his same irons from when we were 16 , a g5 or g10 (can’t remember) driver and an old putter with a new grip

He still plays very well and to a better level than I’ll ever be.

Defo not equipment

Was he fitted for those though? ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

There’s no doubt fitting works for some and buying off the shelf works for others, but surely even buying off the shelf you need some sort of idea of what “fits” you, ie no good buying irons with extra stiff shafts just because they’re cheap or in your price range if you need a regular or lighter shafts.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I played with a guy a few years ago.

He was a scratch player and basically had a driver, old ping eye 2 irons (3-sw), a gap wedge and a putter.

His bag looked so simple and quite retro with no fairway woods or hybrids.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I got fitted this year, 2 degrees flat really helped, the clubs now lie correctly. 1/2 inch off the shaft so I wasn't gripping down as much gave a more consistent grip.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly, be very suspicious of a pro trying to sell you equipment during a lesson.
Secondly, IF you are buying new clubs, you may as well get them fitted.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Neither is this single figure handicappers...

Because of what I said above. A high handicapper's swing isn't always consistent from one week to the next. Adjusting the clubs 1 degree might fix a hook that, but in a week's time it might cause a slice. There are some obvious ones like if you're really tall you'll probably need longer clubs, but to pay a lot of money for minute detail I don't think is worthwhile unless you know your swing is very consistent.

Assuming the person isn't consciously trying to change their swing, even for a high handicapper, it would be surprisingly consistent if you watch the swing. The results of the swing may not be consistent, but the general movement pattern will be.

Humans are very good at repeating movements consistently, it's why we can walk and run without falling over all the time, and why we can write signatures that look exactly the same - untill we consciously think about it!