NR'd from a Medal - Thoughts?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I was the NR’d player and I did indeed commit the rule breach as witnessed, but am now feeling guilty and wish to fess up, how do I go about admitting it and asking to be forgiven without being branded a cheat. Of course in the first instance I take my DQ without question…but then…🤔

MACM85

Visit site
If I was the NR’d player and I did indeed commit the rule breach as witnessed, but am now feeling guilty and wish to fess up, how do I go about admitting it and asking to be forgiven without being branded a cheat. Of course in the first instance I take my DQ without question…but then…🤔

That is a good point. I would guess that if that was the case and he is protesting innocence to save face then the committee should have had a chat with him before entering the score and being top of the leaderboard to then just being NR'd with no conversation.

If a discussion had taken place perhaps he would have taken the two shot penalty and then it wouldn't have taken place like it has done.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If he keeps quiet people will say he is a cheat and got caught, but if he tries to argue his case, people will say he is a cheat and is trying to wriggle out of it. Either way he is stuffed!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If he keeps quiet people will say he is a cheat and got caught, but if he tries to argue his case, people will say he is a cheat and is trying to wriggle out of it. Either way he is stuffed!
But if he admits his transgression - claims it as an aberration and claims no mitigation’s other than having a ‘brain fart’…and is basically known in the club as a decent and straight up’ guy, will most members forgive. I am one for forgiveness (no please don’t mention the tv ad) and the power of redemption…but I fear that most folks are not.

I am thinking that the best he can do is admit things to committee and ask to be forgiven.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
But if he admits his transgression - claims it as an aberration and claims no mitigation’s other than having a ‘brain fart’…and is basically known in the club as a decent and straight up’ guy, will most members forgive. I am one for forgiveness (no please don’t mention the tv ad) and the power of redemption…but I fear that most folks are not.

I am thinking that the best he can do is admit things to committee and ask to be forgiven.

So you've decided that he's guilty?
Nice!

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Colin L got it in #7, I would simply add that, given how very badly this has been handled do far, your friend should put their request for a meeting in writing and copy in the Area Association Secretary.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not at all. I’m just pondering about what he could do if he was guilty as charged, and wished to fess up.
Just stop

Deal with the situation as it’s been discussed as opposed to thinking of other situations- it adds nothing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just stop

Deal with the situation as it’s been discussed as opposed to thinking of other situations- it adds nothing
Ok. Thing is. We don’t know the truth of the situation and so the question I have asked may well be something our DQd player is struggling with and hence that could impact what he does next.

I agree that he should not have been summarily DQd on the basis of what another player thought he saw happen.

MACM85

Visit site
Thought I would post a little update in regards to this. The committee had their meeting Saturday and the following was sent to the player in question that afternoon via email

It is sent in response to your emailed letter of complaint sent to the Committee on 9th April 2023.

The Committee discussed your complaint today; before you had finished your competition round. The re-timing of your tee slot meant that we were in the middle of the meeting when you became available and you left before it had finished. However, the Committee decided that it had sufficient evidence and information from your own email and the report of the events on the day in question to not require further input from you in person. In this regard, please note that your email of 9th April to the Committee forms part of the documentation for the Committee consideration of your complaint whereas the email exchanges between you and comittee member X are treated as personal and are not part of the documentation (but the Committee were made aware of their content).

In response to your complaint, the Committee has agreed the following.
1. The process adopted by the Committee on the day in question was not correct in some respects. The Committee regrets this; accepts some of your criticism of the process and will endeavour to adopt a fully correct process in future.
2. The Committee does not accept your contentions concerning the validity of the decision to impose a penalty. For example, any action of moving a ball in the position you were in, on the 9th hole, can readily be seen from the 12th tee. The Committee saw no reason to change the ruling of disqualification before the competition closure on the day.
3. The reason for disqualification will be recorded in the meeting Minutes as ‘card infringement’ and persons’ names will not be recorded as there is no sanction applied to you for future HMGC competitions or matches.

There is no allowance in the HMGC constitution for an appeal to this decision.

This decision clearly will not be what you hoped for in view of your written denial of the infringement. However, the Committee hopes that you will accept it and continue to enjoy your golf in HMGC competitions

They didn't call me in to ask my view point nor did they ask the individual in question. The funny thing is that the chap who was NR'd last week won Div 1 with 41 points this past weekend!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If he did not move his ball and you can back him up on this, then he should take further action.
If it is the word of the player and one witness 20 yards away against the word of two players 130 yards away, then the eventual outcome seems inevitable to me.

The fact that the other observers were officials of the club makes no difference - they have no special powers of human sight.

It is a case of being persistent and seeing it through to the end. Calmness and avoidance of personal remarks is key to the establishment of the truth.

"No allowance for an appeal" is burying head in sand.

Tell your playing partner to be clear in his mind in each further step as to what the following-on step will be.

MACM85

Visit site
Is there not an appeal procedure to the County?

No idea if I am honest. This has all been done without any conversation with me or the player in question. All that was sent was a long email stating how they should have handled it and applied a penalty if they were 100% proof and agreement from said player rather than allow him to enter his scores and NR him after the comp was closed and first he heard of it was from the NR in the Howdidido email!

D-S

Visit site
You should be able to take this to the County They will request that the Club’s disciplinary procedure has been followed and concluded/exhausted first, which apparently, due to this summary judgement and no appeal allowed, it has. This would be the next action to take if the player wants to progress the matter.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah my takes here:

Bait as hell that they decided to only bring this up if he finished 1st or 2nd... surely he should be pulled up in all comps with this behaviour?
I don't know your club but anyone over 100 yards away isn't in clear view.
If you're going to cheat, 360 check not just behind you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yeah my takes here:

Bait as hell that they decided to only bring this up if he finished 1st or 2nd... surely he should be pulled up in all comps with this behaviour?
I don't know your club but anyone over 100 yards away isn't in clear view.
If you're going to cheat, 360 check not just behind you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And a past captain benefited from the DQ!

Unless there is something we’re not being told. Bent AF doesn’t even begin to describe it.