NR In supplementary/handicap round

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hope the knowledgeable members here can clarify.

Imagine someone playing a round for handicap, do they need to hole out every hole or can they pick up on any “disaster” hole?

In a medal round NR is Ok and the card is still processed for hcp purposes so by this logic the above should be allowed?

Thank you

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
All handicapping is stableford based...after the initial allocation has been made.
Initial allocations (which your wording suggests this is) will apply double gross par to any disaster hole...so they should ensure that their idea of a disaster meets with this possibility to ensure accuracy.
Accuracy aside they can certainly NR individual holes on the card returned.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, it is for the initial allocation. Thank you for confirming, was wondering if any special rules may exist.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, it is for the initial allocation. Thank you for confirming, was wondering if any special rules may exist.

If it is for initial handicap allocation they really should not NR on an individual hole until their score on that hole is going to be more than twice the par. If they NR an individual hole it will be treated as twice the par.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank all for the replies.

On a related point, is there any limit on a maximum score or would the system just allocate automatically max hcp(54)? So hypothetically someone can score 200 and still get a hcp?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I seem to remember that in an older version of the CONGU manual it was suggested that if a prospective player could not play to the maximum allowed (then 28 and 36), then they should not be allocated a handicap. There is no suggestion of that now that I can see.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I seem to remember that in an older version of the CONGU manual it was suggested that if a prospective player could not play to the maximum allowed (then 28 and 36), then they should not be allocated a handicap. There is no suggestion of that now that I can see.
From memory it went through phases.

The one you reference, then that the committee could allocate if...

Now I believe it's all in the arithmetic; where par = SSS, 90% (or so) of double par is going to be pretty close to par + 54. Basically a player would only have to have a couple of holes at less than double par to meet the max handicap.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The last reference I recollect didn't specify figures but just gave the Committee the discretion not to award a handicap if it thought fit. But my recollections ain't what they used to be.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The last reference I recollect didn't specify figures but just gave the Committee the discretion not to award a handicap if it thought fit. But my recollections ain't what they used to be.
Welcome to my world - it may well have been worded that way round! It followed the wording Rulefan referenced.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
[QUOTE="Colin L, post: 1976669, member: 16140" But my recollections ain't what they used to be.[/QUOTE]
How do you know if you can't remember :unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I first joined a club, over 30 years ago I used to talk the club sec quite a lot in the bar. He once said to me " anybody who cannot break 100 will not be given a handicap"