Now TV

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've never had Sky or any provider but these prices are a shock to me.

When I read £88 to £125 I initially thought that was per year, not per month. :eek:

Even at one of the lower rates mentioned above, that's £672 a year.
And "last year's" £88 a month is over a grand!

And I hate services where you negotiate a deal, it just means that the less savvy people will be subsidising the entertainment of others. :mad:
A service like TV should be at a fixed price.
Absolutely. I am not into the negotiating lark and find it depressing that I might be doing the guy I am speaking with out of some of their income if I try and get it cheaper. What I want is a fair price for the product and it really p’s me off that I end up subsidising those who have no qualms about an outcome other than their getting the cheapest price.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Absolutely. I am not into the negotiating lark and find it depressing that I might be doing the guy I am speaking with out of some of their income if I try and get it cheaper. What I want is a fair price for the product and it really p’s me off that I end up subsidising those who have no qualms about an outcome other than their getting the cheapest price.
I don't think negotiating the price has an impact on the people I speak to. Their job is client retention and so they have clearance to negotiate a better deal to keep me as a customer. In fact, I'm keeping these people in a job. ;)(y)

D-S

Visit site
Sky, like Virgin, insurance providers and utility companies have a business model that relies on the elderly and vulnerable subsidising everyone else. Preying on the trusting, loyal and mild seems to be a shocking way of making money.

D-S

Visit site
I always negotiate

Car insurance
House insurance
Sky
Phone
Internet
Electric
Gas
Anything else that pricing is variable

The money is better in my pocket than theirs
I never understand why someone hasn’t set up a brokerage to combine all these things. I would gladly give a cut on the money saved by someone who could keep all these costs for me down by being aware of the best deals and negotiating on my behalf. I know companies will do some but no-one does all of the above in a one stop shop, surely combining them would give a better chance of profit?
Its a waste of my time having to negotiate or online search for all these contracts year in year out where the vast majority of my parameters are identical every year.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sky, like Virgin, insurance providers and utility companies have a business model that relies on the elderly and vulnerable subsidising everyone else. Preying on the trusting, loyal and mild seems to be a shocking way of making money.

no one is forcing them stay with a particular provider

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I learned many years back that the person who doesn't negotiate is the mug. If I can get all the Sky channels, fast broadband, anytime calls and a phone sim card for around £80 then I'm paying the right price for their product and, if you're paying more then you are being mugged.

Mine's due up soon so it'll be interesting what renewal will cost

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I never understand why someone hasn’t set up a brokerage to combine all these things. I would gladly give a cut on the money saved by someone who could keep all these costs for me down by being aware of the best deals and negotiating on my behalf. I know companies will do some but no-one does all of the above in a one stop shop, surely combining them would give a better chance of profit?
Its a waste of my time having to negotiate or online search for all these contracts year in year out where the vast majority of my parameters are identical every year.

it probably takes what 2 hours a year?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Renewals and deals vary day to day so I guess it would be difficult for a provider to handle everything. There are numerous comparison sites for gas/electricity/ car and house insurance and it's just something I put in the diary to do as and when I renew the current deals.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
no one is forcing them stay with a particular provider
I'd be shocked if anyone sat in a board meeting at one of these corporate giants and suggested that they should base their business model on scamming the old and vulnerable.

I negotiate pretty much anything I can to get a better price. More fool those that don't.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd be shocked if anyone sat in a board meeting at one of these corporate giants and suggested that they should base their business model on scamming the old and vulnerable.

I negotiate pretty much anything I can to get a better price. More fool those that don't.

they are relying on people not bothering to price check - is that scamming?

D-S

Visit site
they are relying on people not bothering to price check - is that scamming?
Yes it is if the people, I.e. the old and vulnerable are not able to price check. They are not able to get online and do the simple checks we can.
When taking over the affairs of my parents and my parents in law I was horrified at the amounts their banks were charging them for house and contents insurance (they trusted them to supply this service as “they had been with them for over 40 years”), they were paying over 3 times the highest price I could find online.
The car insurance had been automatically renewed as they thought they had been loyal customers so they would be given the best deal wouldn’t they? .......er no, they were being badly ripped off in this too. Of course with little or no internet knowledge they had no way of sensibly doing comparisons.
Similar for utilities.
This must be repeated many times across the country.
As I say, preying on the elderly and vulnerable.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I learned many years back that the person who doesn't negotiate is the mug. If I can get all the Sky channels, fast broadband, anytime calls and a phone sim card for around £80 then I'm paying the right price for their product and, if you're paying more then you are being mugged.

Mine's due up soon so it'll be interesting what renewal will cost
I’m no mug...I simply want to pay a fair and set price for a product.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site

No one in a board meeting will mention shafting the vulnerable, but I'd be shocked if someone wasn't being measured against a metric of "profitability of customer retentions" or some other such corporate bingo phrase.