Now that's fast!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No, I'm not talking about a Russian sprinter on steroids!

I've switched from BT to Sky for my internet/phone/ calls today and 6 months ago we were lucky to get 1 mbps, then we got 3 mbps when they put in Infinity to the village but BT wanted ridiculous money and a new contract to get it, so I waited a few months and from today I've just tested and we got 31mbps and on a deal that would cost £30 + per month more if I stayed with BT & Sky separately

Result!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try a site called SpeedTest by Ookla that will give you an idea on ho fast you BB connection is, try at 5 when the kids are home from school and have been fed, you'll get a truer picture of your BB speed.

But remember that Ookla is not a sync speed test, it is a throughput test. For example, my sync speed at any given time is c.78mbps but depending on a number of factors, throughput tests show anywhere from 30 - 60mbps routinely.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But remember that Ookla is not a sync speed test, it is a throughput test. For example, my sync speed at any given time is c.78mbps but depending on a number of factors, throughput tests show anywhere from 30 - 60mbps routinely.

you are correct but to get a truer speed of throughput you must also do the test with your computer/ laptop directly cabled to the hub. If you are testing through wi-if you can be restricted by your wi-fi adapter speed.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
you are correct but to get a truer speed of throughput you must also do the test with your computer/ laptop directly cabled to the hub. If you are testing through wi-if you can be restricted by your wi-fi adapter speed.

Very true. However there is no point testing it wired and then running it on wifi. Best to test the true throughput of the connection type you intend to use.
Always worth getting a dual band wifi card as well.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very true. However there is no point testing it wired and then running it on wifi. Best to test the true throughput of the connection type you intend to use.
Always worth getting a dual band wifi card as well.

Again that is true, but if you have maybe a few laptops or games machines or a sky box downloading it various times simultaneously it is nice to know what your broadband can handle.