KISS!!!!

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
A club golfer does not need to hit the ball hard. It only puts you more frequently in difficult situations that most do not have the skill to be able to recover from.

Smooth and steady will win most club golf events every time.

FAB90

Visit site
I really struggle with this. I always find that I start out swinging to fast and then manage to slow myself down hit a few good shots then try to go to hard and then the cycle repeats itself over and over

D

Deleted member 1147

I remember one of the old boys at my club saying he says "S E V E R I A N O" on the backswing and "B A L L A S T E R O S" on the through swing.
Supposedly, if you make the swing last as long as it takes to say the full name, your rhythm should be ok.
Not tried it myself, as my swing is already super smooth :cool:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's a reading thing; I believe Snead has had more books published than Couples.
So next time I have a lesson and the pro sends me the video . Yours will send you a book.
I don’t belive a beginner can learn from a book but “watch and learn “ has always been a popular saying.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So next time I have a lesson and the pro sends me the video . Yours will send you a book.
I don’t belive a beginner can learn from a book but “watch and learn “ has always been a popular saying.

That would depend on which of the types of learning the pupil responds best to. "Those who can do, those who can't teach" is another popular saying which is about as wrong as "watch & learn".

Wolf

Visit site
If I wanted to work on my tempo, I'd watch Freddy, not read a book

Best swing their is for me style, tempo and he's just pretty damn cool.

Always been my go to, to watch for tempo. Reminds me of what my dad used to tell me growing up when teaching me try to create effortless power rather than using a powerful effort. Not sure of that makes sense to anyone else but always did to me. Then we would watch swings like Freddie and Els to help me understand what he meant.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Plenty of research on this matter, a lot of people think swinging slower is the key when it's actually tempo that needs work rather than swinging slower. I use a metronome app and an orange whip to practice tempo.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
If I wanted to work on my tempo, I'd watch Freddy, not read a book

And I'd watch Snead; having seen both in real life I would prefer to watch him. The first book reference was in response to the ageist comment from the other poster. And the book comment is still valid imo; while a video can show you tempo, it won't necessarily explain the swing thoughts that will help you maintain it. As I said, it depends what method of learning you respond best to.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
So you think “watch and learn “ is wrong.
You can’t see tempo in a book.

Watch and copy would be more valid; copying a seen motion might get you replicating it but not understanding the reason why, therefore you haven't learnt. If you don't know why you're doing something then maybe you're missing the point or you won't apply it correctly.

Out of interest, have you read the book in which you can't see tempo...?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And I'd watch Snead; having seen both in real life I would prefer to watch him. The first book reference was in response to the ageist comment from the other poster. And the book comment is still valid imo; while a video can show you tempo, it won't necessarily explain the swing thoughts that will help you maintain it. As I said, it depends what method of learning you respond best to.

How was it an ageist comment?
You grew up watching Snead. Clubchamp grew up watching Couples. Others grew up watching Tiger.
Nothing ageist just different generations.

Watch and copy would be more valid; copying a seen motion might get you replicating it but not understanding the reason why, therefore you haven't learnt. If you don't know why you're doing something then maybe you're missing the point or you won't apply it correctly.

I don't agree, you don't need to know how things work to make them work.
I learned golf by watching Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Treevino etc and just copied them.
I never read a book or had a lesson but got down to 2 by the time I was 16.

Yes, people learn different ways but no one way is better than the other

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wasn’t an ageist comment I was talking about myself. 62 yrs , But if that upset you I am sorry.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Out of interest, have you read the book in which you can't see tempo...?
You can explain tempo in a book.
You can’t see it imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Finding a nice tempo in warm up today and for the most part took it to the course. A couple of poor shots caused by the old issue of swinging with the arms and not turning properly but tried to keep it smooth and trust

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How Ironic that somebody who thinks you can learn golf from a book has misread my comment and accused me of ageism.
The word is mightier than the sword but only if it is interpreted correctly.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
There's a great YouTube video of Freddie couples back in the day,the soundtrack? "Hit me with your rhythm stick" Ian duty and the blockheads, classic!! Anyway the really cool thing besides the music is the overhead split camera which shows him hitting a wedge and 3w at the same time and you can't tell the difference...hit me slowly hit me quick..... brilliant