KISS!!!!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
How was it an ageist comment?
You grew up watching Snead. Clubchamp grew up watching Couples. Others grew up watching Tiger.
Nothing ageist just different generations.

Except that given our respective ages Bob I was more likely to have grown up watching Couples and clubchamp98 watching Snead, who was always the "go to" for a rhythm/tempo recommendation before Couples came along. Having seen Snead in person and watched him bring a range of fellow professionals to a halt to watch him bullet 2 irons out of the back of it whilst some were struggling to get driver that far is something I won't readily forget. He was also extremely approachable and polite after the range session. To see the alternative opinion dismissed as it's an age thing with no more discussion was in my opinion ageist, and incorrectly so; had it been stated as it's a generational thing or offered as a question I wouldn't have had an issue with it.

I don't agree, you don't need to know how things work to make them work.
I learned golf by watching Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Treevino etc and just copied them.
I never read a book or had a lesson but got down to 2 by the time I was 16.

Yes, people learn different ways but no one way is better than the other

And I would say it depends on how your mind works Bob. Some people can do what you do and it works perfectly well for them, others prefer to understand what is behind the motion and respond better to that; it's a method that I came across in work and has stuck with me ever since. I understand your point that one way is not better than the other. However I would say that it is better to learn in the manner that you respond best to, so in that respect one way is better than another, but only for the individual in question.

You haven't actually said you can't learn from a book, you've offered an alternative view, which I understand & respect

For those that say you can't learn from a book I have 2 words; Larry Nelson.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Except that given our respective ages Bob I was more likely to have grown up watching Couples and clubchamp98 watching Snead, who was always the "go to" for a rhythm/tempo recommendation before Couples came along. Having seen Snead in person and watched him bring a range of fellow professionals to a halt to watch him bullet 2 irons out of the back of it whilst some were struggling to get driver that far is something I won't readily forget. He was also extremely approachable and polite after the range session. To see the alternative opinion dismissed as it's an age thing with no more discussion was in my opinion ageist, and incorrectly so; had it been stated as it's a generational thing or offered as a question I wouldn't have had an issue with it.

And I would say it depends on how your mind works Bob. Some people can do what you do and it works perfectly well for them, others prefer to understand what is behind the motion and respond better to that; it's a method that I came across in work and has stuck with me ever since. I understand your point that one way is not better than the other. However I would say that it is better to learn in the manner that you respond best to, so in that respect one way is better than another, but only for the individual in question.

You haven't actually said you can't learn from a book, you've offered an alternative view, which I understand & respect

For those that say you can't learn from a book I have 2 words; Larry Nelson.

I learned my swing from neolithic cave paintings 👍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Except that given our respective ages Bob I was more likely to have grown up watching Couples and clubchamp98 watching Snead, who was always the "go to" for a rhythm/tempo recommendation before Couples came along. Having seen Snead in person and watched him bring a range of fellow professionals to a halt to watch him bullet 2 irons out of the back of it whilst some were struggling to get driver that far is something I won't readily forget. He was also extremely approachable and polite after the range session. To see the end alternative opinion dismissed as it's an age thing with no more discussion was in my opinion ageist, and incorrectly so; had it been stated as it's a generational thing or offered as a question I wouldn't have had an issue with it.

You forget some people don’t play at a young age !
I never played golf until I was 28 and was working so I have never seeen Snead play but seen lots of couples.
You seem to have ignored that you accused me of ageism when I was only talking about my own age in relation to watching golf.
Feel free to be offended.
So I will call it a day!!

Last edited: