Notts Golf Club - Hollinwell

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today I played in the Institution of Civil Engineers annual golf day which is used as the ‘qualifier’ for the annual competition against the Irish, Scottish, And English regions. I scraped through by the skin of my teeth in 4th place. I’m still happy, as I’ve been working on some things in my swing and although it feels good, it’ll take some work to get it to feel natural.

Anyway, this years finals day is at Notts Golf Club - Hollinwell (as you’ve probably guessed by the thread title!) has anyone played there before? And if so, what advice or comments would you have?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

Played Notts loads of times, it’s a very good course and a brutal course from the whites and blues.

some really really good holes on the course. My favourites are the 2nd, 11th and 13th.

very traditional golf club so don’t forget your jacket and tie for the dining room.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Re: Not Golf Club - Hollinwell

Played Notts loads of times, it’s a very good course and a brutal course from the whites and blues.

some really really good holes on the course. My favourites are the 2nd, 11th and 13th.

very traditional golf club so don’t forget your jacket and tie for the dining room.

This this and this

It's a great course

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site

We’ll be off the whites so will be a good challenge! I’ve heard the standard scratch around there is like 3 or 4 over?

We’ll also be having a formal dinner and presentation evening afterwards so will definitely need to make sure I remember my jacket and tie!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Absolutely fantastic course. 1st is probably the weakest hole on the course but after that it’s top notch. 18th is one of the best finishing holes in golf

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

Played it last week in a 36 hole qualifier.
It’s a lovely course, long and trouble left and right on all holes. So be straight or your unlikely to find a ball.
It would look stunning if it was green but the fairways are dry.
Shot my handicap first round to win the first round. That was testament to being smart off the tee.

Jacket and tie wasn’t required in the clubhouse bar. Just a pair of shoes or boat shoes. Food is served in there unless you have booked the dining room.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

I've played there twice and absolutely love it. I can genuinely say that it only has one weak hole (12th) and that you are in for a treat. The bar has a fantastic view of the 3rd, 4th and 18th so get in early and soak it all up. Best hole for me is the 11th. A short uphill par 4 which snakes it's way to the green. Visually stunning hole and one to take on!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Fabulous golf course, on a par with the great Surrey heathland tracks. Very long time since my last visit but playing there in 2 weeks and really looking forward to it. I'll let you know what sort of condition it is in :thup:

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fabulous golf course, on a par with the great Surrey heathland tracks. Very long time since my last visit but playing there in 2 weeks and really looking forward to it. I'll let you know what sort of condition it is in :thup:

That’ll be great, thanks mate! It was a great couple of days last year at Pannal so really can’t wait for this year!

Practice round and a welcome dinner on the Sunday. Then the next day, St. Andrews greensomes in the morning. In for some lunch, then individual stableford in the afternoon. 3 course meal and presentation evening. You almost feel like a professional... apart from the standard of golf 😂

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

On me doorstep and one I would love to play. One day fingers crossed, one day.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fish and Lazkir are on me ignore list for 10 mins.😁

Cost Ndw7, purely down to cost. Might have a look at some of there opens.

Haha! Bloody hell, I just checked their green fees and we’re playing on a Monday, which is £90!! I wouldn’t play there either 😂 Our cost for 2 nights accomodation, welcome dinner, 2 rounds of golf, lunch, and evening 3 course meal is £210. So where I was a bit dubious, I suppose I better shut up and pay before they change their mind 😂

D

Deleted member 15344

£90 is a bargain for Notts - brilliant course , one of the best inland courses and would be rated higher if around the Berkshire area - hard to think of any bad holes there

For a top 50 course£90 is great value

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£90 is a bargain for Notts - brilliant course , one of the best inland courses and would be rated higher if around the Berkshire area - hard to think of any bad holes there

For a top 50 course£90 is great value

Is it really? Sorry to ask a stupid question, when you say top 50. Is that in the UK. I think in South Wales we’re quite lucky that we can play ‘top courses’ for around £50-£60 such as ashburnham etc. Although Royal Porthcawl and the 2010 cost an absolute fortune by all accounts

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it really? Sorry to ask a stupid question, when you say top 50. Is that in the UK. I think in South Wales we’re quite lucky that we can play ‘top courses’ for around £50-£60 such as ashburnham etc. Although Royal Porthcawl and the 2010 cost an absolute fortune by all accounts

It’s top 50 in the UK and Ireland and top 20 in England but better than some courses ahead of it - Namely Walton Heath