Not feeling there's any improvement

chrbb

Visit site
Hi everyone -new member here so be gentle:D

I took up golf about 4 years ago when I was 50 (female), took the plunge and joined a club and got a handicap this season. My scores before getting my handicap were sub 100 - best score 94 usually on the same course - sss 72.

Of course once I started doing my handicap cards my scores went up to around the 106 mark, so my starting handicap was 34. Played the first two matches to handicap, then had two rounds of 100, but as the css was put up to 75, reductions only, my handicap went down to 25.6, with an exceptional scoring reduction.

The problem is I haven't played to my handicap in the next 8 matches I played in, buffer zone 4 times, above 4 times. I'm starting to feel quite despondant as I don't feel I'm improving and will ever get another reduction.

The more I play the worse I get! is this normal?:rolleyes:

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Completely normal (for me anyway:D).

When you think you have it cracked and are getting somewhere you will soon get a reminder not to be complacent. I have been through probably 3 or 4 hot and cold spells this year alone.

Just take comfort that you are capable of shooting better scores and eventually they will come.

For me, 2 steps forward and 1 step back sums up my game perfectly (and remember you can't appreciate the sunshine without the rain...:))

Rob

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd suggest you forget your overall scores for a while and just concentrate on how happy you are hitting the ball. If you TRY to play better shots then invariably your scores will improve.

There might be parts of your game that are letting you down the most, chipping, putting or even tee shots... if you identify the worst parts you can make the most immediate improvement on your scores :thup:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
hello and welcome! enjoy :)

4 buffers and 4 over handicap is hardly diasterous retuens for a new handicap and after a near 25% cut! Stick with it,ut it will come.
we all have spells where you cant buy a cut, and a buffer is a bonus!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It sounds the age old problem of trying too hard once you get into comps and putting too much pressure on yourself. As winter i coming why not get a block of lessons (most pros do offers on a series) and work on wat you have and build on what I think is actually a reasonable beginning.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Heck, I play off nine and would love to have had a year like you!

This year has been a nightmare.

It's golf, it's supposed to be fun? It's not like we make a living out of it. Let the pressure go, enjoy being out there, and the scores will come. Or, you will have fun, and not care what the results are. Either way, you'll be happier.

chrbb

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I played today and had a good game, hitting well and enjoying it. I do get hung up on numbers and handicap so need to relax more.

I bought a new 3 wood last week and am hitting it really well on the fairway but not so well off the tee - that's my practice for the winter. (got a driver but we don't get on!) Pitching is another area to practice.

I work in a school so school holidays are my practice time, a round on my own with a specific area to practice.