Not enjoying it.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play 9 holes about 3 times a week and 18 when I can. Only been a member of my course for about a month now. I played a lot of paid for rounds before I joined too. I don't always Game Golf my rounds either in case anyone goes for a look. I did tonight though.

A few things that I'm really getting quite annoyed about and a lot of it can be out down to the extreme amount of rain we've had lately but I'm not really happy where I am.

• Greens are seriously stubly and bumpy, ball never runs true in a line
  • Greens are hardly ever cut
  • Greens really need rolled or something.
  • Tee boxes are mostly all running away to one side, never level.
  • Bunkers are hardly ever raked and some full of water

Persistent rain has meant that a lot of the above is normal, but I wouldn't know, never being a member of a club before. You ball just plugs in the ground off all the tees. Your ball is consistently dirty with no respite from it.

Needless to say this has had a knock on effect on my golf. Enthusiasm has dropped away to nothing and scores are creeping up again with average putting strokes increasing.

I follow a lot of clubs in my area on Twitter and they always tweet about things they are doing to the courses. Greens cut 4mm, rolled etc etc. Pin positions tweeted every time they are changed and even when the bunkers are raked. One course even told everyone today about buying new rakes to get a better lie in the bunkers.

I kind of feel my club isn't really bothering with the upkeep or am I just expecting too much? What would you guys do, and what can be done?

Can I just cancel and leave to go elsewhere?

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where do you play?

It's maybe no fair to mention the club. I hope it's not looked like me slagging it off in the post. I have mentioned it in other posts right enough but mainly in a good light. I don't know, there could be other members of the club on the forum.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly if the bunkers are staying full of water then how are they meant to rake them?
If there is enough rain to keep the bunkers full then the greenkeepers may well be unable to get a green mower to the greens without causing the course AND the greens serious damage.
In the winter this is far less of a problem as the grass grows far slower in low temperatures, short daylight hours and low UV levels but with long days, the sun high in the sky and warm weather the grass is growing very fast. This makes the problem ten times worse.
I wouldn't be surprised if your club has "winter rules" in place as the fairways are probably very muddy too.
Unless the courses you mention tweeting about how great they are at the moment are links courses then they are probably suffering similar problems.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you aren't happy then move on and see what the other courses are like. I know we have had a lot of rain this summer but also had plenty of warm sunny days so golf courses right now should be in their best condition - if they aren't then something isn't right

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a look at your Gamegolf page and 5 days ago you had a +3 nine holes.
I can't see what you're complaining about unless it's your game that's not working more than the course being a major problem.
We all have bad days and some of them coincide with the course not being at it's best.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Parkland courses in my area are all suffering from the wet weather. Our green keeper is ready to slit his wrists, watching helplessly as the course gets drenched day after day.

If they attempt to cut greens or fairways in these wet sodden conditions they'll just cause more damage.
So leave and move to links golf :thup:

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You think your course is bad ?? Come up here to Central Scotland, its rained pretty much every day for almost 2 months now.... We had several bunkers marked as GUR recently because they are drowned. We even have winter greens in play on 3 holes, although not on medal day, because they are drowned. That was only last week. Pretty much the whole golfing season has been played with waterproofs on.

Oh and the golfs been utter pants too....

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's rained every day in Glasgow for the last month! Parkland courses just haven't had a chance to dry out up here. If your club don't do social media well that a fair point but I don't think many courses up here will be in great condition.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah it's Glasgow I'm from too. Obviously from the GG stats you can see the club I play at. No harm to them really. I just wondered really if you can just leave a month in and go somewhere else?

Only two bunkers are full of water to be honest. The rest are hard packed. I rake a few on my travels cause I'm a nice guy and it helps out. I think it comes off from having a convo today about a course near me being in great condition and great all through the winter too. I'm starting to worry already and it's only August. no sign of the weather getting any better up here, and it's usually a sign of impending doom. As Lord Stark of WinterFell said. "Winter is Coming" lol

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do people have a moan up and the never actually say where it is.....?!?! It is a members club or council course? I'll go the latter.....nuff said!

Most courses in great condition at the moment if you ask me....the ones in civilisation anyway.......

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Irish courses are taking a similar battering. Not as bad as that though.

Lucky I live in the costs del Liverpool. It was a joy to play on softened greens last weekend for the first time in months. Sorry :p

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah it's Glasgow I'm from too. Obviously from the GG stats you can see the club I play at. No harm to them really. I just wondered really if you can just leave a month in and go somewhere else?

Only two bunkers are full of water to be honest. The rest are hard packed. I rake a few on my travels cause I'm a nice guy and it helps out. I think it comes off from having a convo today about a course near me being in great condition and great all through the winter too. I'm starting to worry already and it's only August. no sign of the weather getting any better up here, and it's usually a sign of impending doom. As Lord Stark of WinterFell said. "Winter is Coming" lol

Where do you stay Paul ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
@Paul77 - if I recall it's CG? Yes? I think it's pretty sensitive of you to express concerns about a course without naming (at the risk of shaming and upsetting) so fair does to you on that. If folks want to find out the club you're a member of it's easy enough to do that by having a look elsewhere on here.

I have to say that reports I have from my mother on the Southside of the city is that this summer has been total pants weather-wise - and it takes something for her to complain about it. Maybe you have just been dead unlucky joining your first club this year.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why do people have a moan up and the never actually say where it is.....?!?! It is a members club or council course? I'll go the latter.....nuff said!

Most courses in great condition at the moment if you ask me....the ones in civilisation anyway.......

Are you having a laugh? If you took two seconds to click my sig link you'd see where I play. It's not a council course and also I do play and live in quite a civilised society so please do come down off that high horse.

The reason I've not typed it up in this post is for Google SEO search indexing purposes.

The Green Fairy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well next week we are on temps as it is a 'greens maintenance' week. Which means chopping them up by tining and putting a load of sand over them.
It's the best part of the year and we will be without a perfect putting surface for about two weeks, while they recover.
Crazy.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you aren't happy then move on and see what the other courses are like. I know we have had a lot of rain this summer but also had plenty of warm sunny days so golf courses right now should be in their best condition - if they aren't then something isn't right
Er, do you live in West/ Central Scotland? We certainly have not had many warm sunny days, trying to find a day to cut the grass has been really difficult here.

Red scorpion

Visit site
I must be lucky played last few wed medals in tee shirt,most sat and sun and only had the Brolley up once.you guys need to move sunny Clydebank :D

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Paul its just been a tough summer for us in Scotland.

Maybe a change of scenery for a few rounds may offer some perspective. You are welcome to a round at my course anytime next week (I'm off) so just give me a shout.

All courses have had it bad in our area, but some will have handled it better than others.