Not closing out rounds...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
what kind of matchplay are you playing??? 4bbb?

Pairs, we throw the balls up in our fourball in every weekend Comp but I have shots then, but in the week when only playing 9 holes it’s no shots.

Whoever I partner up with, we tend to win more than we lose.

I really enjoy it, it makes me play far more aggressively, and even though I don’t hit as many GIR than they all do, I get up & down very well.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pairs, we throw the balls up in our fourball in every weekend Comp but I have shots then, but in the week when only playing 9 holes it’s no shots.

Whoever I partner up with, we tend to win more than we lose.

I really enjoy it, it makes me play far more aggressively, and even though I don’t hit as many GIR than they all do, I get up & down very well.

ah ok so youre playing a game where anything worse than par doesnt really matter, good fun at the time, not necessarily good for playing a medal with card in hand though

Fish

Banned
Visit site
ah ok so youre playing a game where anything worse than par doesnt really matter, good fun at the time, not necessarily good for playing a medal with card in hand though

I disagree, it’s taken my focus of ‘the card in the hand’ syndrome out and I’ve been cut and played more consistently of late, but as per this thread, I’m not closing these rounds out when I’ve played probably 75-80% under but just can’t see it through.

I don’t think playing another format alongside a medal or stableford Comp has a negative effect on me, quite the opposite imo, I enjoy Matchplay more, and I just let the card take care of itself.

It has no baring on this situation, other than most of the time, the Matchplay has concluded around 14 or 15, which is when I then start to throw shots away ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I disagree, it’s taken my focus of ‘the card in the hand’ syndrome out and I’ve been cut and played more consistently of late, but as per this thread, I’m not closing these rounds out when I’ve played probably 75-80% under but just can’t see it through.

I don’t think playing another format alongside a medal or stableford Comp has a negative effect on me, quite the opposite imo, I enjoy Matchplay more, and I just let the card take care of itself.

It has no baring on this situation, other than most of the time, the Matchplay has concluded around 14 or 15, which is when I then start to throw shots away ?

Think youve misunderstood what was I was saying but hey ho, good luck with closing those rounds out

D

Deleted member 21258

Sorry about longest post, I like stats and lists.:LOL:

Think from your example you have said this
First 8 holes 4 over
9th hole double
Next 6 holes shot 7 over
16th Treble
17th Bogey
18th Double

19 over
From your example above, it is showing you are dropping shots on many holes, so not many easy pars at a guess, especially if any birdies are in the above summary ? A quick analysis of your stats would tell you why you are dropping shots at quite a lot of holes and probably also indicate why you can run up car crashes on holes. Not enough FIR, nGIRs maybe?

Yeah and sometimes the pressure of a good score can create extra shots for sure. As a question, if you start poorly in a medal, do you always score well on the back nine (ie when there is no pressure) ?

From the one game we had together a few years ago, I can remember that your putting was excellent for your handicap, but your tee shots, fairways shots and distance hit were not great and got you into quite a lot of trouble (not that one round tells me a lot, as we can all play poorly on a round, but you need to look at trends). If that is still the case, then you will be able to score high scores and it is just waiting to happen as such.

You mentioned that the back nine harder(cant remember myself enough about Coventry)? However this is a problem I have with my home course, I can be ‘hacking/not playing that well in terms of actually playing good statistics golf rather than scoring okay’ and shot a good score on the front(ie around handicap or lower), then the run of holes 10, 13, 14, 15, 17 are all holes to drop shots on(doubles plus are easy to get) and if I am playing poorly will rack up a massive score. I am now sometimes hitting clubs that get rid of the massive scores in medal games and just look for a bogey or an up/down for a par.

I’m fairly honest with myself about golf, I get those rounds that I can shoot below par(gross) and lowish rounds, but my swing, chipping and putting just isn’t good enough to get near there with any consistently. I kind of view myself as a track wreck waiting to happen and its just a matter of when on the course they appear and tough holes are likely to show up the lack of quality/consistently in my game.:(

Matchplay/skins, some games just fit some people better as they are eradicate scoring, especially if you can par/birdie every hole on a course with shots from handicap.

Either way hope you solve the problem and get that handicap cut and win the medal.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bogeys are inevitable at any level of golf. Sounds obvious but try and limit your bad holes to a bogey. If you're on the last few holes and are in trouble, try focusing on making nothing worse than a bogey. Keeps your head in the game. Keeping the doubles and trebles off is what helps get a teen handicap down to 7/8 handicap.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Said it many times on here I need to drop the two car crash holes competitively. It's a continuing ailment. Played a Pro's Day event (off the yellows) and flying after five holes and 3 under handicap. Then went OOB at the 6th which is a real problem hole for me anyway. Then got onto the one point train big time on the back nine until OOB on 17 (another par 3 and a problem when off the yellows). Managed 35 points despite all this. Never going to get near the 46 that won.

The problem I have is I chuck the two bad holes in and they are never the same two holes or same destructive shot. The point is, and it is something I know too well as I chase my handicap going lower, is that golf is eighteen holes and you have to learn to score. That is as much an art form and skill as a deft pitch, long drive or a long putt. Sometimes bogey can be your friend (even in a stableford, more so in a medal) and it's about the double bogey and above.