Not closing out rounds...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can hit the ball, you can play golf so first confidence.

Second is fitness, you need to make sure you are flexible and fit enough to last 18 at the level you play at.

Next is energy, are you expending too much early on? Do you eat and what do you eat (a pastie isn’t going to help) mid round or even before you go out? Do you drink enough plain water? You need instant energy hits and plain water, not just squash.

This is all marginal gains stuff but that is probably all you need, just to think about what could cause a tailing off at the end, especially when you go to such highs early on, that is always hard to sustain.

Last edited:

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wise man once told me "in a medal you matchplay results mean diddly" and this is because in matchplay there is the added variable of your opponents score, i.e. you can win a hole with a bogey. Same wise man also said "the course never blinks making par".

All in all, you need a mindset for medal and forget matchplay performance when its you against the course and no one else.

And that also means that the course will Always take you down the 18th, there's no winning early against it. You need to frame your mindset to 18, not just the next hole but the one after that and after that etc.

And once I work out how to do that, I'll let you know ?
I agree with this. As others have said, we play a pairs match play during each comp to keep it interesting. But surely the the thing at the forefront of your mind needs to be your card? Again, as others have said, a putt for a half in match play is easier than a putt for par or bogey as you don’t need to worry about the one coming back. Quite often I’ve said to my match play partner “sorry mate I couldn’t give that a massive go, I didn’t want to leave myself a 4 footer coming back!”

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s not fuel related, I have porridge when I get up then breakfast at the club, always have a pastie & drink at the halfway house and carry plenty of squash which I make up every morning.
Full bladder/bowel try eating and drinking less.

D

Deleted member 1740

It’s not fuel related, I have porridge when I get up then breakfast at the club, always have a pastie & drink at the halfway house and carry plenty of squash which I make up every morning.

Most of the Matchplay we play within the medal does really help me take my mind off the card, and due to my regular partners being low single handicappers, I’m putting for birdies & pars to win holes or the odd bogey to half when I have a shot, so the card looks after itself, if you know what I mean.

But most of the time hands are shook on the 14th or 15th, so the last 3-4 holes become just about the medal, so there’s a shift in focus & concentration, and I blow it!

But saying that, we’ve had the odd Matchplay go the distance, but I can still truly f*#> it all up on our last 3 holes, so it’s a mental thing which I need to overcome, it’s not stamina, well not when playing 18, I struggle with 36 nowadays, as I displayed at Dunaverty? but that was after a lot of golf and racing about and without any food & drink.

I’ve tried dividing my round into 3 thirds before, before I joined in doing the Matchplay, so the focus was only on 6 holes at a time, this worked for a while, but wasn’t the answer, it’s all very frustrating, especially when you’re well under on the turn and give them all back, needlessly ?

I'd try just playing/practicing the last 4 holes over the next few weeks and try to strategically play them. It might work, it may not but its worth the try.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play off scratch all week against Cat1’s over 9 holes and win more Matchplay’s than I lose.

But like today, and in many medals this season, I’m well under handicap on the turn, sometimes only 4 or 5 over gross, and whilst I accept our back 9 is much tougher than our front, I throw away great potential rounds away in the last 6 holes, and sometimes just the last 3 holes!

I know I’m not consciously protecting my score when knowing I’m on my way to a decent round, but I’m getting rather pished throwing away so many winning rounds in the closing stages.

My Cat1 partners are also pished as well, as when we do play skins they can’t compete with my shots, even when I play off 50%!

So how can I improve to close off these rounds?

Have you had similar issues, and if so, what did you do to close out your rounds?

Is it just a state of mind?

Could be a bit of fatigue, maybe a banana at the turn might help. You could also change the game. Play a series of 3 hole matchplay against the course. If you have a handicap of 9, say, then set a challenge by giving yourself 1 shot per 3 holes. That allows a sort of restart every 3 holes.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I have precisely the same issue and it’s 100% between the ears. Without question. I have lost count of the number of decent rounds I have let slip through my fingers because I can literally feel myself tighten up when I get in a strong position.

My big problem is not playing one shot at a time. I always know exactly how I’m scoring, can very quickly get ahead of myself and the negative thoughts flood my mind - if it’s all going well I’m literally waiting for the blow-up hole because I know it’s round the corner.

Yesterday was very nearly a classic example. I was in a really strong position mid way through the back nine, knowing I had a card which put me well in contention. We got to a shortish par 5 which I normally eat for breakfast, often reaching in two. It’s a shot hole.

I carved my first towards the OOB, something I’ve only done once on that hole in nearly twenty years. The second followed. My head was all over the place.

Fortunately we found my first in the cabbage and two chops later I’m in the semi, still 260 yards out. I somehow managed to get my brain in gear, reached the green in two more and rolled in a twenty footer for two points on a hole I had no right to score on. I went on to win by a single point.

It may be that one hole, and the fact I won a comp when I was on the verge of blowing up yet again, might serve to prove to me once and for all that I can string eighteen holes together on the same day.

But I’m not holding my breath.

?

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Totally agree with Kaz in post #8
I also don’t agree with splitting a round, be it 6’s, 9’s or whatever, I just think you should not have any point where anything is over or finished till the 18th, keeping your mind focused, not patting yourself on the back or start protecting a score.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree with Kaz in post #8
I also don’t agree with splitting a round, be it 6’s, 9’s or whatever, I just think you should not have any point where anything is over or finished till the 18th, keeping your mind focused, not patting yourself on the back or start protecting a score.

I think you misunderstand the concept of splitting the round up. Most average golfers can't play in the moment, a la Bob Rotella et al, nor can they maintain momentum and concentration for a whole round, so breaking the round down into bite sized chunks allows them to focus on a game within the game, but also to restart another game every few holes. It is a classic resetting strategy.

Try it, you might like it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I play off scratch all week against Cat1’s over 9 holes and win more Matchplay’s than I lose.
Do you play the full 18? If not, that's likely to be a contributor - as the concentration and extra 'pressure' of maintaining a good round (for 4 or 5 holes cf just a couple) is a big factor in scoring.

And how's your fitness? While not a physically demanding/athletic sport, Golf is certainly easier to play well if you are physically fit!

And keeping yourself hydrated and 'fueled' is very importand too - especially for the last few holes.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I liked to think it was the pressure applied by the opponent.

Seriously Rob, a pastie ain't helping you.
I struggled with concentration and energy levels. I take out 3 to 4 bottles of 500ml water, Lucozade sport.
Its harder to drink in the colder months, so at times it feels a bit forced, but it does help.
I also take a banana, a breakfast type bar and some sweets like Wine Gums for a quick sugar kick.

I take a 1.5 litre flask of three ginger tea out in winter.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I think you misunderstand the concept of splitting the round up. Most average golfers can't play in the moment, a la Bob Rotella et al, nor can they maintain momentum and concentration for a whole round, so breaking the round down into bite sized chunks allows them to focus on a game within the game, but also to restart another game every few holes. It is a classic resetting strategy.

Try it, you might like it.

I have tried it, thank you, didn’t work for me, we are all different.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have tried it, thank you, didn’t work for me, we are all different.

I play with a brick wall behind me and fog in front, all I can see is the hole I am on.

Only exceptions are to note flag positions but I have not done this for long time as it didn’t bring any benefits for me.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Do you play the full 18? If not, that's likely to be a contributor - as the concentration and extra 'pressure' of maintaining a good round (for 4 or 5 holes cf just a couple) is a big factor in scoring.

And how's your fitness? While not a physically demanding/athletic sport, Golf is certainly easier to play well if you are physically fit!

And keeping yourself hydrated and 'fueled' is very importand too - especially for the last few holes.

During the week and teeing off around 4pm we can only get 9 holes in due to the light.

On average I play those 9 holes in 4-6 over, which is well under handicap, and again, I was +4 standing on the 8th and turned +6 today due to a silly double on 8 but parred 9.

I finished the round +19 ? with +6 of those on the last 3 holes, finishing treble, bogey, double ??

Didn’t feel fatigued, had breakfast and a couple of choc-chip Brunch bars before and after the turn, sipping squash all the time, got through 1 litres, and forced myself to drink it at times as didn’t feel thirsty!

I took the skins 7-6-5 though but finished with only 33 points, which was very disappointing as had around 20 on the turn and 36 won the spoils, so once again it was there for me.

Think I’m going to start on the 10th when I finish early during the week and see if it’s the same finishing issues on the front, if not, then I’ll know I’m playing those last 3 on the back wrong, and need, as Ethan stated, to change my focus with them.

D

Deleted member 3432

But like today, and in many medals this season, I’m well under handicap on the turn, sometimes only 4 or 5 over gross, and whilst I accept our back 9 is much tougher than our front, I throw away great potential rounds away in the last 6 holes, and sometimes just the last 3 holes!

I know I’m not consciously protecting my score when knowing I’m on my way to a decent round, but I’m getting rather pished throwing away so many winning rounds in the closing stages.

My Cat1 partners are also pished as well, as when we do play skins they can’t compete with my shots, even when I play off 50%!

So how can I improve to close off these rounds?

Have you had similar issues, and if so, what did you do to close out your rounds?

Best way to finish a good round is to be positive, meaning full commitment to every shot. By that I'm not meaning by taking dead aim at a tight flag but 100% commitment to each shot even if its playing for the centre of the green or laying up.

See lots of players getting tentative over the last few holes and guilty of it myself at times, just means you start making poor swings.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Think I’m going to start on the 10th when I finish early during the week and see if it’s the same finishing issues on the front, if not, then I’ll know I’m playing those last 3 on the back wrong, and need, as Ethan stated, to change my focus with them.
That was going to be another suggestion, but didn't know whether it was either convenient or allowed. And worth playing the 'back' 9 first in an 18 hole round too, to see how that pans out.
Fatigue - physical or mental - isn't always obvious. Though, with your background, you should be able to pick it up. Golf is, however, a skill where the slightest amount can have a significant effect. Proper hydration is important too.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
That was going to be another suggestion, but didn't know whether it was either convenient or allowed. And worth playing the 'back' 9 first in an 18 hole round too, to see how that pans out.
Fatigue - physical or mental - isn't always obvious. Though, with your background, you should be able to pick it up. Golf is, however, a skill where the slightest amount can have a significant effect. Proper hydration is important too.

If anything I feel better health wise than I have for years, losing 3 kilos in the last 6 weeks, sleeping better, eating well, strength & stamina exercises etc etc.

I’ve even carried a few times recently and didn’t feel tired.

We can go off the 10th now that numbers have slowed down for social golf as all those that were furloughed have returned to work, but no doubt that will change if we go into another lockdown scenario.

I’ll try and do a few short loops during this week, I can go down 10 then cut across to 16, see how I play those last 3 holes in a different mental state and obviously being still fresh, see what happens and go from there...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
During the week and teeing off around 4pm we can only get 9 holes in due to the light.

On average I play those 9 holes in 4-6 over, which is well under handicap, and again, I was +4 standing on the 8th and turned +6 today due to a silly double on 8 but parred 9.

I finished the round +19 ? with +6 of those on the last 3 holes, finishing treble, bogey, double ??

Didn’t feel fatigued, had breakfast and a couple of choc-chip Brunch bars before and after the turn, sipping squash all the time, got through 1 litres, and forced myself to drink it at times as didn’t feel thirsty!

I took the skins 7-6-5 though but finished with only 33 points, which was very disappointing as had around 20 on the turn and 36 won the spoils, so once again it was there for me.

4-6 over for 9 holes and youre beating cat 1 golfers off scratch? you wanna play against some proper cat 1 golfers Fishy ;)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
4-6 over for 9 holes and youre beating cat 1 golfers off scratch? you wanna play against some proper cat 1 golfers Fishy ;)

They’re 5,6 & 8, and like my +4 today standing on the 8th, that was a double on 1 hole (2nd) which I obviously was out of but was halved when the others cancelled each other out, so you can’t compare a gross number being over and Matchplay, there’s a lot of halved holes then I Nick in a steal a hole.

Just like in skins today, they were cancelling each other out then I stole a 3 skin rollover, what I was over prior or at that time has no baring in that format.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They’re 5,6 & 8, and like my +4 today standing on the 8th, that was a double on 1 hole (2nd) which I obviously lost but was halved when the others cancelled each other out, so you can’t compare a gross number being over and Matchplay, there’s a lot of halved holes then I Nick in a steal a hole.

Just like in skins today, they were cancelling each other out then I stole a 3 skin rollover, what I was over prior has no baring in that format.

what kind of matchplay are you playing??? 4bbb?