Northern Ireland advice for Nnnnnnnn.........ovember

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did try Ardglass but the only tee times they have are 12.40 onwards and with sunset at 16.20 its pushing it as its already busy.

Looks lovely though

Give Kirkistown a try, it is good value, around £20 and will be dry.

Some great holes such as the 10th. The back 9 is a lot harder than the front. Always enjoy playing there as its not that tough but great fun.

If you guys do, let me know and I'd be happy to join you.

D

Deleted member 17920

Wouldn't go to ballycastle. I be looking at rosapenna. Donegal golf club or even portsalon. Within the north west area.
Only trouble we have is we are staying next to Portrush and some have to be at Belfast airport for 17.30 at the latest.

Cant see Rosapenna or Portsalon been options.

D

Deleted member 17920

Give Kirkistown a try, it is good value, around £20 and will be dry.

Some great holes such as the 10th. The back 9 is a lot harder than the front. Always enjoy playing there as its not that tough but great fun.

If you guys do, let me know and I'd be happy to join you.
Will look at that option. Cheers

D

Deleted Member 1156

Only trouble we have is we are staying next to Portrush and some have to be at Belfast airport for 17.30 at the latest.

Will look at that option. Cheers

Glyn, it's not that far from Portrush to Rosapenna (didn't you say you are playing Ballyliffin day before you fly back which is even closer to RP) whereas as Kirkistown is way south of Belfast and to be honest, I wouldn't go out of my way to play it. It's just 'OK' in my opinion, not worth making a special trip for. I would strongly suggest you look at some of the options on the north coast mate :thup:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Smange,

Thursday 9th - Sunday 12th of November.

Ballyliffin (both courses) are on the Saturday.

BTW, if any of the NI or Irish lads fancy joining us for any of the rounds, would be good to meet up with a few of you. I think we have 2-3 spaces in some of the times, as we have 9 booked in, although hopefully Gary in Derry (plus, he may also bring a mate) may join us on some of the days, if his back clears up. Can probably get another tee time, if required. RCD is on the Thursday.

i will be playing our club comp on the Saturday so unfortunately wont be able to join you for a game.

I'm presuming your at Portrush on the Friday then? If you have a slot or two available for Portrush, cost & time permitting I and maybe one other may be able to join you there.

I can't comment on Kirkistown as I've never played it. Ardglass is ok, I was slightly underwhelmed by it but most people rate it quite highly and maybe I just had my sights set too high before playing it.

Whatever you do when you come over, DO NOT FORGET YOUR WATERPROOFS, it WILL rain.

D

Deleted member 17920

Glyn, it's not that far from Portrush to Rosapenna (didn't you say you are playing Ballyliffin day before you fly back which is even closer to RP) whereas as Kirkistown is way south of Belfast and to be honest, I wouldn't go out of my way to play it. It's just 'OK' in my opinion, not worth making a special trip for. I would strongly suggest you look at some of the options on the north coast mate :thup:
Cheers, I have made an enquiry with Rosapenna.

D

Deleted member 17920

i will be playing our club comp on the Saturday so unfortunately wont be able to join you for a game.

I'm presuming your at Portrush on the Friday then? If you have a slot or two available for Portrush, cost & time permitting I and maybe one other may be able to join you there.

I can't comment on Kirkistown as I've never played it. Ardglass is ok, I was slightly underwhelmed by it but most people rate it quite highly and maybe I just had my sights set too high before playing it.

Whatever you do when you come over, DO NOT FORGET YOUR WATERPROOFS, it WILL rain.

Our plans are

RCD Thursday
RP Friday
Ballyliffin both Saturday

Sunday TBC as Castlerock have work.

Its a bit of a whistlestop tour but I am reliably informed that's its always Sunny in NI :D

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our plans are

RCD Thursday
RP Friday
Ballyliffin both Saturday

Sunday TBC as Castlerock have work.

Its a bit of a whistlestop tour but I am reliably informed that's its always Sunny in NI :D

It may always be sunny in NI but I can assure you it's not sunny very often in Ballyliffin which is of course in Donegal in the south 😉

If you decide on Rosapenna and have a choice of the courses then play Sandy Hills, it's a superb golf course, the Old Tom is a fine golf course as well but Sandy Hills is one of the best and up there along with the others you are playing.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you decide on Rosapenna and have a choice of the courses then play Sandy Hills, it's a superb golf course, the Old Tom is a fine golf course as well but Sandy Hills is one of the best and up there along with the others you are playing.

Yep, I agree 100% :thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not if they are staying in or around Ballyliffin.

We're staying at Portballintrae, which is East of Portrush, so to rosapenna would be approx. 2 hours drive.

(BTW May the drive be quicker or slower with it being remembrance Sunday - possibly marching bands etc) Not a political question, just a drive time question (I don't work for UEFA). :D

With the best will in the world, Rosapenna would probably be a 7.30 start for a 10.00 tee off, finish at 2.00, then 2 1/2 hours to Belfast international sounds like a rush, especially after playing 36 the day before.

Any well draining courses on any of the large loughs?

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Know what your saying..

As stated the valley is joined to the royal but you wanted to travel about 15/20mins max you hit castlerock or portswart strand (Irish open 2017 course) only about 5/10mins tops.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just a thought Peter, have you considered changing your accommodation to Ballyliffin for the last night to give you more options? I stayed in a decent cheap hotel in the town which overlooked the courses :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rosapenna is open as its advertising its winter series on Facebook today. As mentioned its the hotel that closes over the winter period.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is the Galgorm and Hilton templepatrick which are not that far from where you are and in the direction of the airport (no idea if you need to go back to Portballintrae or not after the round). I have played them both in damp conditions and they do hold up okish, but id say after a big downpour they would be pretty sodden. Hilton has sand based greens so they do drain pretty well. The Galgorm is the home of the NI Open and is a really nice course, although I played it when it was damp in April and it was very long with no roll.

There is also Massereene which is close to airport and on the side of Lough Neagh but no idea of drainage.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just a thought Peter, have you considered changing your accommodation to Ballyliffin for the last night to give you more options? I stayed in a decent cheap hotel in the town which overlooked the courses :thup:

All accom already paid for, and we've got it for a song also.:thup:

If you split the whole isle (careful!!:))into 4 quadrants, Rosapenna is the NW one, and with a few others over that side (top 100), will probably do Rosapenna on another trip.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would try to avoid any inland courses to be honest. Galgorm drains well, but we have had copious amounts of rain recently and with all the will in the world it’s gonna be wet come November!
I have mates over next week, we are playing the strand on Thursday, the royal on Friday liffen Saturday and then Galgorm on Sunday, weather permitting.
If nothing else, ballycastle is a decent fun course to play and not too taxing, u could def do worse.