Great North Links 2016 (Ireland)

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know there were a few forummers interested in playing this year but were too late in getting booked so just a heads up for next years.

Played over 3 great courses, Ballyliffin, Royal Portrush and Portstewart over 3 days (12-14 October for next year)

You get to choose the order you play courses in and if early enough with booking get a wider choice of tee times which I believe stays the same for the three days.

Myself and Palindromicbob are planning on entering so if anyone fancies joining us to make a 4 ball give me a shout and we can get sorted or if any of you mainlanders fancy bringing a 4 ball over and need any help or advice getting organised just shout.

Cost for the 3 days for visitors is €210 (approx £150 at today's rate) which if you were to play the courses individually is cheaper than the visitors rate for Portrush alone which is at £160 at the moment.

We will be waiting to get Christmas out the way first before booking so no immediate panic on the money but will probably be looking to book around end of January.

More details

image.jpg

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I was looking at coming over for this but the dates don't suit the guys that I go away with this time, hopefully the following year will fall better for us.

kevinmarkham

Assistant Pro
theirishgolfblog.com
There are over a dozen of these events around Ireland (I play the Atlantic Coast Challenge every year) but the Great North Links offers the highest ranked courses and the entry fee is amazingly good value. The only other comparative event (in terms of high profile courses) is the Great Irish Links Challenge, played over Ballybunion, Lahinch and Trump Doonbeg. It costs €555 pp, which makes the northern event look like a steal.
Well worth the trip

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
very temped by this only trouble is the date, our anniversary and already I'm away the week before for a jolly in Fife.... she would kill me;)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested in this. I've always wanted to play some of the Irish links. Up for making up a 4 ball or trying to put my own together :thup:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
very temped by this only trouble is the date, our anniversary and already I'm away the week before for a jolly in Fife.... she would kill me;)

A nice early anniversary present and she will be fine, or in fact 3 courses well worth dying for :p
I'd be interested in this. I've always wanted to play some of the Irish links. Up for making up a 4 ball or trying to put my own together :thup:

Welcome to join us mate if can't persuade your own 4 ball to come over.

Anyone who is thinking about it allow an extra day and we can play the other course at Ballyliffin while you here.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone played in the Down Summer Trophy before or can give me some feedback on the courses & where to stay with decent nightlife?

Never played in it mate and have no idea about anything up that way but Malek988 is a member at Ardglass and will be able to help fill you in with any info you need. Send him a PM and he will help you out, he's a good guy despite him looking like a Colombian Drugs Lord :whistle:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
A nice early anniversary present and she will be fine, or in fact 3 courses well worth dying for :p

Welcome to join us mate if can't persuade your own 4 ball to come over.

Anyone who is thinking about it allow an extra day and we can play the other course at Ballyliffin while you here.

I'll hook up with you if it's OK:thup:

let me run the dates past the boss (wife) & I'll confirm

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really fancy this, narrowly missed out on playing in that area June this year and really want to play some links golf in Ireland. Flying out there and getting some accommodation looked reasonable when I last looked.

Will need to confirm with the Mrs, and also check the status of another possible trip. If she says yes and the other trip isn't going to get off the ground will definitely have it.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 fantastic courses and great value ,we used to play in the Causeway Coast Comp which is also great value playing Portstewart ,Castlerock ,Portrush and Ballycastle but i see Ballyliffen has taken the place of Portstewart.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll hook up with you if it's OK:thup:

let me run the dates past the boss (wife) & I'll confirm

Hooking up with me and Bob is perfect mate just let me know once you have spoke to the wife and are good to go.

I really fancy this, narrowly missed out on playing in that area June this year and really want to play some links golf in Ireland. Flying out there and getting some accommodation looked reasonable when I last looked.

Will need to confirm with the Mrs, and also check the status of another possible trip. If she says yes and the other trip isn't going to get off the ground will definitely have it.

Let me know how you fixed once you've found out about the other trip and got the go ahead from the wife.

Anyone else fancy 3 rounds of golf on 3 top class golf courses?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hooking up with me and Bob is perfect mate just let me know once you have spoke to the wife and are good to go.

Let me know how you fixed once you've found out about the other trip and got the go ahead from the wife.

Anyone else fancy 3 rounds of golf on 3 top class golf courses?
I've got the green light. Up for joining you guys, if you'll have me :thup:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got the green light. Up for joining you guys, if you'll have me :thup:

Excellent mate 👍🏻

As I said in original post we will be booking in January probably so no panic for the money yet. I will find out the full info this week when I'm down at my club and let you know.

Send me a PM with your email address and we can sort all the details and travel plans there 😀

We still looking for another player so anyone else fancy it?