North Wales suggestions???

D

Deleted member 21258

Aberdovey, a fairly easy course and lots of straight holes. Personally didn't love but pleasant enough

RSD, a course hard to score on but love it there.

Porthmadog, A tale of two nines. The 8(?) holes set in the dunes are superb and worth playing for, great fun.

Conwy, easy course, nice variety of holes, great winter course

Nefyn, some lovely holes and views. The nine out on the point a bit gimmicky but certainly worth playing all 27 holes.

All good views, different some of the sea, some of mountains etc.

Not played any of the others.

Have a great trip, great place to goto.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aberdovey, a fairly easy course and lots of straight holes. Personally didn't love but pleasant enough

RSD, a course hard to score on but love it there.

Porthmadog, A tale of two nines. The 8(?) holes set in the dunes are superb and worth playing for, great fun.

Conwy, easy course, nice variety of holes, great winter course

The members were moaning about the height of the rough this summer. One guy that I play with told me that very few members entered the main individual comp in open week because of that. It may well have been trimmed now.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played there 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. Good opening hole where position off the tee is crucial.
Couple of 1000 year old oaks to avoid later in the round and a delightful hole that runs sling the river with a backdrop of the hills.
The only downside would be getting there from where you're staying as roads can get very busy in the summer

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played there 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. Good opening hole where position off the tee is crucial.
Couple of 1000 year old oaks to avoid later in the round and a delightful hole that runs sling the river with a backdrop of the hills.
The only downside would be getting there from where you're staying as roads can get very busy in the summer

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
With regards traffic, we'd book a PM tee off (about 3pm) so that we can take our time getting there, and then into Llangollen for a meal afterwards with the ladies.
Nice thing about the area is that the drives are quite scenic.

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
After watching a few YouTube vids, and with my preference being for a parkland course for our other round, I'm looking at the Vale of Llangollen. About an hour from where we are, so not too far out of the way and looks a very nice course.....????
http://www.vlgc.co.uk/home/

Anybody on here played there???

View attachment 34477

Yes, quite a few times. Not overly expensive and its in a lovely setting . The holes along the river are really nice. . You won't be disappointed.
A bit of advice as we were a bit flummoxed the first time we played. The first hole is a 90 degree, left to right dogleg. Its either a good driver over the trees ,or, just an iron or hybrid to the corner. (y)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes, quite a few times. Not overly expensive and its in a lovely setting . The holes along the river are really nice. . You won't be disappointed.
A bit of advice as we were a bit flummoxed the first time we played. The first hole is a 90 degree, left to right dogleg. It's either a good driver over the trees, or just an iron or hybrid to the corner. (y)

I've read that it is around 200 yards or so to the dogleg................... so that will be a good driver to the corner for me, and an iron over the trees for James then.....
:cry::cry::cry:;)

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve never played there, but driven past it countless times on my way to Pwllheli to go sailing. Always thought it looked in great condition in the short look I got driving past.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've entered an open at Conwy and Prestatyn in May, not played either before so looking forward to it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After watching a few YouTube vids, and with my preference being for a parkland course for our other round, I'm looking at the Vale of Llangollen. About an hour from where we are, so not too far out of the way and looks a very nice course.....????
http://www.vlgc.co.uk/home/

Anybody on here played there???

View attachment 34477

Yep, a good course VOL and they have loads of opens, so worth seeing if they have any on.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
another vote for porthmadog - one of my all time favorites because of the 2 differnet styles, holes 2 to 9 parkland, the other holes links

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd love to play in a couple of Opens while I'm there but like I say, my "non handicap" is an issue at the moment.....

Fair enough, also, depending on where your mate lives, Llanymynech is a good cheap course, which is near Oswestry and may be on your direction of travel. 15 holes in Wales and 3 in England, one hole you tee off in Wales, you putt out in England. iirc

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Fair enough, also, depending on where your mate lives, Llanymynech is a good cheap course, which is near Oswestry and may be on your direction of travel. 15 holes in Wales and 3 in England, one hole you tee off in Wales, you putt out in England. iirc
+1 great course!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Masduea GC (not sure about that spelling)and North Wales golf club are very nice right next door to each other.
Llandudno is lovely but can be wet at times.
Abergele is really nice it has the castle off I AM CELEB ON THE OUTSKIRTS.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Masduea GC (not sure about that spelling)and North Wales golf club are very nice right next door to each other.
Llandudno is lovely but can be wet at times.
Abergele is really nice it has the castle off I AM CELEB ON THE OUTSKIRTS.
To paraphrase Morecambe & Wise - you've got the right letters but not necessarily in the right order - Maesdu (pronounced Mice Dee if I remember my Welsh pronunciation correctly).