any suggestions?
we are currently looking at st mellion, forest of arden
all help appreciated

D

Deleted member 21258

Depends on budget, how about Hawkstone Park Golf, two courses

Neeko1988

Visit site
I wouldn’t bother with forest of Arden. I live near and play there quite a bit. Arden course is nice. Other one not so much. Hotel is pretty average too. Food and service is horrendous. If coming this way I prefer the Belfry. St Mellion is a good shout though

thomasmark71

Visit site
I wouldn’t bother with forest of Arden. I live near and play there quite a bit. Arden course is nice. Other one not so much. Hotel is pretty average too. Food and service is horrendous. If coming this way I prefer the Belfry. St Mellion is a good shout though
st mellion gets good golfreviews but poor hotelreviews, a bit like arden…

thomasmark71

Visit site
whats the courses like there?
hard? flat? character holes?

Neeko1988

Visit site
whats the courses like there?
hard? flat? character holes?
I’ve played each course there lots of times and never once been asked for a certificate.

brabazon is a flagship course, Ryder cup course. Long flat course with some average holes and some great signature holes. Usually £150 alone in the summer

PGA course is decent average course

Derby course I would give a miss.

it’s an ok resort tbf, great facilities, has its own nightclub etc. much better than Arden

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
And your point??

Well according to the original post they are from South Wales.Cardiff as a starter point is in South Wales if he is 30 mins from Cardiff add that on coz they do not want to travel longer than 3 hours. The Belfrey is within a 3 hour distance.

thomasmark71

Visit site
I’ve played each course there lots of times and never once been asked for a certificate.

brabazon is a flagship course, Ryder cup course. Long flat course with some average holes and some great signature holes. Usually £150 alone in the summer

PGA course is decent average course

Derby course I would give a miss.

it’s an ok resort tbf, great facilities, has its own nightclub etc. much better than Arden

i meant the forest of arden courses….

Neeko1988

Visit site
The Arden is nice. Quite flat with a fair bit of water. Nice that deer ? roam the course aswell. The Aylesford isn’t the best though, I’d give that a miss.

Hotel is a let down in my opinion

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Forget it, they are all rubbish.
Stay where you are and I'll bring 7 mates down to the Gower and all 16 of us will play at Pennard and Langland Bay.
Really beautiful there in the summer.
..and.. its years since I had a pint of Felinfoel Double Dragon or Brains SA. ;)

Seriously - I've played Belfry Brabazon and Forest of Arden and Arden wins for me on enjoyable course.
Hotel service can vary anywhere at these type of places week-to-week so just hope you strike lucky.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but on a recent golf tour of the south we played Bramshaw in the New Forest which was really attractive and had two courses with a hotel which was substituting for the club house during renovations and was right on site.

thomasmark71

Visit site
Forget it, they are all rubbish.
Stay where you are and I'll bring 7 mates down to the Gower and all 16 of us will play at Pennard and Langland Bay.
Really beautiful there in the summer.
..and.. its years since I had a pint of Felinfoel Double Dragon or Brains SA. ;)

Seriously - I've played Belfry Brabazon and Forest of Arden and Arden wins for me on enjoyable course.
Hotel service can vary anywhere at these type of places week-to-week so just hope you strike lucky.

cheers….yea some good courses here in wales, but played a good chunk…looking for somewhere different…being in wales we get a lot of hilly courses which makes it interesting…is the arden very flat and up/down or are there some hilly parts?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
cheers….yea some good courses here in wales, but played a good chunk…looking for somewhere different…being in wales we get a lot of hilly courses which makes it interesting…is the arden very flat and up/down or are there some hilly parts?
I didn't find either course to be "flat". The Arden is very attractive which makes the Aylesford look ordinary, but it really isn't - its a good course.