North Wales suggestions???

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hopefully popping down to visit James (JustOne) in the Summer for a few days.
He lives near Ffestiniog.
Looking to get a couple of rounds in while we're down there, one links, the other parkland.
Any suggestions on decent tracks to play within about an hours drive??
Also, if any members would like to join us, looking to go down around the middle of July (Covid permitting).
Thanks
Rob

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, pretty close by you have Royal St Davids, Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Abersoch and Criccieth (which I'd choose in that order) And not too far away is Nefyn which has a few quirky hole but is worth a visit. But I'd strongly recommend the Caernarvonshire (at Conwy about 45mins to the north of Ffestiniog), and Aberdyfi (Aberdovey as we English know it about an hour to the south). Both are links.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ps. Round that neck of the woods, courses tend to be on, or near, the coast. So the choice tends to be links or moorland - or something between the two. Dont really get much in the style of "southern England parkland".

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Sorry, have nothing useful to add for the questions, but this is the internet ?
Possibly irrational, maybe because of maps on walls, or pictures of compasses, isn't it generally accepted in this hemisphere that we travel "up north" and "down south" !
And if we do want to go all scientific, based on height above sea level surely you must be going up ?
Anyway hope the trip goes ahead and goes well, looks a good place to visit. Say hi to JustOne, I miss him on here.?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, pretty close by you have Royal St Davids, Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Abersoch and Criccieth (which I'd choose in that order) And not too far away is Nefyn which has a few quirky hole but is worth a visit. But I'd strongly recommend the Caernarvonshire (at Conwy about 45mins to the north of Ffestiniog), and Aberdyfi (Aberdovey as we English know it about an hour to the south). Both are links.

This says it all. Porthmadog back 9 is really good.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the information thus far. Royal St. Davids is definitely on the cards, just trying to select the other one now.
Planning to travel down/up/across (?) on Sunday 18th July and will play on the Monday and Wednesday. Come home on the Friday and James is going to come to us the following week to play the Cooden meet and one other course, (most probably East Sussex National). Really looking forward to it, should make a nice break. I will pass on your good wishes to him.
?????

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only ever played Prestatyn and Rhyl in the north of wales, not sure how far that would be for you. Prestatyn over Rhyl if you do bother.

D

Deleted member 25172

Thanks for the information thus far. Royal St. Davids is definitely on the cards, just trying to select the other one now.
Planning to travel down/up/across (?) on Sunday 18th July and will play on the Monday and Wednesday. Come home on the Friday and James is going to come to us the following week to play the Cooden meet and one other course, (most probably East Sussex National). Really looking forward to it, should make a nice break. I will pass on your good wishes to him.
?????

Go one day earlier and you can play the open comp at Royal St David’s on the 18th for £30.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hopefully popping down to visit James (JustOne) in the Summer for a few days.
He lives near Ffestiniog.
Looking to get a couple of rounds in while we're down there, one links, the other parkland.
Any suggestions on decent tracks to play within about an hours drive??
Also, if any members would like to join us, looking to go down around the middle of July (Covid permitting).
Thanks
Rob
There is seniors 3 man team comp at Aberdovey on Thursday 15 July for £30pp. Bargain price to play there but there weren't many places left when I booked last week.
Conwy golf club also have their open week at the end of July and costs about £35pp for each comp.
Sorry, just read the further posts with your dates on.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aberdovey is a delight and well worth a bit of travel to get there. Abersoch has some nice links land on the front 9 but has a lacklustre finish where it looks like a field has been added to stretch it to 18. Porthmadog is the other way round, the first 9 is essentially parkland and a bit meh(IMO), the back 9 is a wonderful rollercoaster of crazy links holes in the dunes.