• Normal

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Larger than normal

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our Temporary greens this year are not good , a combination of the hot Summer and the inability to control worms in the way that we used to, due to a pesticide ban.

We normally use a normal sized golf hole but are considering moving to a larger one due to the poor quality of the surfaces this year and wondering what other clubs do ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Personally, when we're on Temps, I worry about tee shots and that's it.
I can't take it seriously with Temps, it ain't proper golf and, in my opinion, no comps - qualifying or otherwise - should be played on them.
The round becomes a bit of fresh air and a walk.
Oh, and we have normal size holes

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At my previous club we used normal sized holes on temporaries (which were in pretty poor shape). However, every hole had two rings painted around them - one at about 3 feet and one at about 10 feet. You were allowed to call anything inside the 3 foot ring as a gimme for 1 shot, and inside the 10 foot ring was a gimme for 2 shots. You could, of course, putt out if you liked.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our course is a real work horse. No call for temps at all.

My mate once asked me what a "temp" is.

Amazing when you think how much rain we get.

New greenkeeper is working wonders with the place in regards to drainage. Fairways are noticeably better even than last year already. Deserves a nice Christmas collection.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It would be lovely if course designers would think about temp greens during design stage.

Imagine have a temp green that wasn’t just plonked on an arbitrary part of the fairway but strategically positioned somewhere else to offer a different slant to the hole come winter. Positioned right the quality of the surface would be in better condition too.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We maintain our green with a big front fringe - which is where the temp greens are put if needed. And have to say, our fringes are better putting surfaces than many a green that I've played on. Temp holes are normal size. But due to the greens-drainage work we've done over past couple years, temps are rarely needed now - which given the local ground conditions is not much short of a miracle.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our Temporary greens this year are not good , a combination of the hot Summer and the inability to control worms in the way that we used to, due to a pesticide ban.

We normally use a normal sized golf hole but are considering moving to a larger one due to the poor quality of the surfaces this year and wondering what other clubs do ?
we have what we call "frost holes" so only in play when we have frost, big holes which TBH work OK, esp as the GK love to stick these in the worst place possible

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Winter greens I don't care about putting and I vary rarely putt on winter greens. Waste of time, I'd rather go and hit 100 eggs on the range than play golf on winter greens.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have small holes, in that way if there are only two temps we can still run qualifying comps. We still run comps even if all the greens are all temps as it is the same for all players.

When we had big holes we also had the problem of balls hitting the liners and bouncing out of the hole

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Potential issue with big holes is it can cause problems if drawn at home in interclub ko comps that start so early now as some rules prohibit their use and also if only 1 or 2 are out of play np with congu if small hole, there is if its big.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think ME using larger than normal sized holes, cant be 100% as if I am on the temp green I am not thinking about putting so don't pay attention oops :oops:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normal sized holes at our place. And tbh we don't take putting too seriously when on them. Me and my m8 just play a 2 putt max as the temps are so lumpy you could easily miss a 12 inch putt.

mister v

Visit site
Our club has just moved to large holes on temps.... forward greens they call them to fool the visitors!! we've just had 13 of our greens slit open at 500mm (20 inch) centres with some drainage pipe dropped in to help with the drainage as our course is clay based so hopefully this time next year we'll be on main greens all fear round.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We generally only have had them midweek if the green staff are doing work on a specific green.

We now have 19 greens and tee boxes so we can close an entire hole and still get 18 holes in on a slight modified course.