noise distractions

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite a few years ago I was teeing off at a local course. In the space between starting my back swing and hitting the ball, 2 F-15 Eagles flew over at very low altitude. Dear god they're fast, and very very loud. I have to admit they put be off my shot a bit.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
“Normal” noise doesn’t bother me. For example we have a train track running alongside 1 and 2 and is directly behind the 3rd tee. There is a level crossing near the 3rd tee as well and trains often sound their horn as they approach it to warn cars.
Doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

I get easily distracted by noises that aren’t background though. I don’t like the fact that it bothers me but I can’t help how I am. Surely it’s not that hard to keep quiet for 5 seconds while somebody hits a shot though.

If you notice a noise that you aren’t expecting there’s a % of you that isn’t concentrating on the shot you’re trying to play, and I’m not good enough to be thinking about something else when I hit.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I normally don't even notice it. The only thing that puts me off is when a sudden loud noise occurs during my backswing. A farmer keeps a weird scarecrow device on his field right next to our 4th hole which charges up in the sun and then emmits a loud gunshot like noise every ten minutes or so. That can freak me out if it happens right in my swing. Or the occasional shotgun shot by hunters or a misfire of a car engine or something like that. Maybe a loud sneeze or shout right next to me would bother me as well. Other than that I totally don't care.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a lot puts me off. Worse part of the course is our 10th tee with the pro shop and both ladies and gents locker rooms behind. People come in and out and never look to see if anyone is about to play. A number of times you're ready to pull the trigger and hear someone come in/out or talking but that aside its all good.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Normal background noise, not at all, but sudden load noises are prone to startle me whether I'm on the tee or not. Was watching Danielle Kang at Woburn the other week as my boy was a caddy in her group. There was a lot of noise going on around the course, blowers, mowers and vehicles driving by, and some sudden loud noises, nothing fazed here at all, even when there was a very loud bang just as she was taking the driver away, was most impressed.

There's a few at ours that step away if a gnat flies by, utterly ridiculous at times.

D

Deleted member 17920

those old things are poss silent comp to the new aircraft they have the Euro Fighter typhoon.... those things are very very loud
When I played there just after the typhoons arrived I thought they were a lot higher climbing from the base so you didn’t get the same noise and distraction.

At least they don’t have to sit on the runway for a minute running at full throttle before going to take off.

Must get back to Moray. May enter the open next year.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played once with a muppet who claimed he missed a putt because Concorde was going over. I mean, it's not like you didn't hear it coming for about a minute.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
General background noise doesn't bother me. At our course we have sheep bleating from an adjoining field, rampant randy cock pheasants screeching on the course and of course the general noise of talk from other players on the course. A sudden unexpected noise can put me off but I don't get annoyed unless it's somebody being inconsiderate. One of the blokes I play with can be put off if a sparrow farts nearby but tbh when he gets up and goes for a little walk in a circle we just laugh (quietly).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
not sure how these two would do at Moray Golf club:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm another one who is not bothered by much, but was thinking of Moray. I can't be the only golfer to play there who actually, but unnecessarily ducked. Another one would be at Park Wood , just south of the runway of Biggin Hill, on Air Show day. Configuration of the ground and trees is such that you can hear the general rumble & roar in the background, then all of a sudden ....jeez, what was that!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does not bother me at all unless it is a load, sudden noise. Always remember doffing a tee shot when a nearby goose decided to honk very loudly on my backswing. Everything else is fine.
That said, I have a playing partner who professes to be put off by the slightest sound. Maybe a coincidence that he seems to be hearing more when he is generally having a bad round yet seems to hear nothing however loud when he is playing well. :LOL::LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I played there just after the typhoons arrived I thought they were a lot higher climbing from the base so you didn’t get the same noise and distraction.

At least they don’t have to sit on the runway for a minute running at full throttle before going to take off.

Must get back to Moray. May enter the open next year.
yep they don't sit there for 30 mins after they have landed reving the bollocks out of them like a load of boy racers now like they did with the Tornado's :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not too much - though when a group of cyclists go whizzing past along the road that runs just beside a couple of our holes - and they are shouting to each other - that does tend to distract.

Mind you - when I was a member of Filton in Bristol, BAe next door were doing refurbishment of USAF F111s and good golly gosh - did these beasts make one heck of a racket when they took off. You had to stop because you couldn't hear yourself think.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There is one hole I play (2nd shot on par 5 7th) the noise of the helicopter doesn't so much cause a distraction but you do run the risk of hitting it as its landing at the course if you don't back off the shot
Happens more often than you'd think

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not in the slightest and this applies to most people I play with. There is one (isn't there always) who could hear you think in the background and will walk away till you adopt statue/death position. Many do not enjoy playing with him

sunshine

Visit site
Played with two new guys to our group today.

they were constantly distracted by other noise on the course, be it other groups talking on other holes, dogs barking on the beach, crows calling and even a pigeon up in on of the trees at the back of the houses by the 17th tee. god know how many times either of them stopped and waited. to make matters worse they were both pretty slow and, well both played very poorly even on the holes there didn't get put off.

Does noise bother you on the course?

if so what does the most?

These people would struggle at Wyke Green - railway at one end, M4 at the other, piccadilly line running through the middle, and under the heathrow flight path. Imagine all the aborted swings... They wouldn't make it past the 1st tee :ROFLMAO: