No smoking on the course

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our club sent out an email this morning closing for two days due to concerns for fire and also heat exhaustion. Most don’t drink snout water when it’s 25* and simply put out membership is too old to implement common sense!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some inter-club matches have been postponed due to the heat but no word on the subject in the OP..which is strange tbh as it's as dry as a bone out there and we have lots of long dry grasses.
Next week is Greens Maintenance so 9 holes closed every day...so there won't be many on the course anyway..

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Except for the awful smell, the daft cost and the likely onset of cancer, smoking is ok by me!

The smokers I've played with don't seem to think a dog-end constitutes litter, so just chuck it to the ground. Do this in the wrong place, you have a serious fire on your hands.

It seems sensible to me to have a ban currently.

D

Deleted member 1147

Ban was introduced at Kedleston on Friday (sensibly)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I welcome it. Makes my piss boil when people who smoke don't seem to constitute dog ends as littler.
On a different note, do you know how hard it is to start a fire with a cigarette? When I completed my fire investigation course they gave our group two hours to try and start a fire using a disguarded cigarette. Non of us managed it. The most interesting part was when they put a cigarette out in a ashtray full of unleaded fuel.
Then they gave us a broken bottle. Longest group took 50 minutes to start a fire.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We implemented an on course smoking ban during the week (cant remember which day)
If smokers were more considerate about where their used butts were left I might have more sympathy.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly can't say when the last time was that I saw someone smoking on the course. I very seldom see a cigarette end lying about and it does seem to stand out as unusual these days. What does annoy me now though is folk vaping and the sickly smell of synthetic cherry or strawberry wafting over the fairways.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
despite the ban being in place at our club, the 3 ball in front of us on Sunday were all smoking during the round.

That seems crazy. I assume its clear as day for players & GK staff that smoking is temporarily not allowed etc

edit; you mentioned the club in opening post. Have they just gone with manual signage etc that could've been missed? (can't think why else they'd ignore it)
I see there's no mention of FB/Twit or club news & course status etc. Might be worth them adding the notice to a few of those too, cant hurt I suppose

Last edited:

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
no smoking policy is in force at our course since april - we had almost no rain from february to may. rounds are getting slower because the stay at the halfway terrace where smoking is allowed, are longer and some even have a cigarette break between holes 15 & 16 where you pass the halfway terrace as well

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Except for the awful smell, the daft cost and the likely onset of cancer, smoking is ok by me!

The smokers I've played with don't seem to think a dog-end constitutes litter, so just chuck it to the ground. Do this in the wrong place, you have a serious fire on your hands.

It seems sensible to me to have a ban currently.
I hate litter anywhere and so regularly pick up littlest bits and pieces that have been dropped on the course…just to keep the place tidy and a tidy course acts as a deterrent to others inclined to drop. But I simply cannot pick up cigarette ends as they make me retch…I know a few smokers (not many) would have a drag as they play…I suspect they just normally chuck their fag ends…

That said smokers who chuck fag ends are in my eyes and in normal times no worse that fruit eaters who carelessly chuck banana skins and orange peel in the rough or in hedges/bushes etc…banana skins are very unsightly as they degrade, and orange peel takes forever…just take it with you to nearest bin or clubhouse.