No longer buying new balls

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm done with buying new balls. There are so many Facebook sellers who ship out Pearl balls which have hardly any marks on them (looks like a brand new ball after 9 holes) for a quarter of the price.

33 Wilson DX2, 33 soft feel and 33 ad333 all for the price of a new box of prov1s. That's my balls for the season done, and my practice bag topped up.

As a 15 handicapper, that'll do me.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm done with buying new balls. There are so many Facebook sellers who ship out Pearl balls which have hardly any marks on them (looks like a brand new ball after 9 holes) for a quarter of the price.

33 Wilson DX2, 33 soft feel and 33 ad333 all for the price of a new box of prov1s. That's my balls for the season done, and my practice bag topped up.

Yep, exact conclusion I came to last year. And it's made absolutely no difference to my ability (or inability) to score.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be honest, I rarely buy balls these days.
I have loads from the Titleist test I did last year, a dozen from a magazine subscription and I find plenty on the course.
Add to that, I don't lose many so I'm overflowing.
I'm not convinced that performance drops off significantly with balls unless they're kept in extreme conditions.
That makes these Pearl balls a decent buy.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep - got a few 'lots' off E-bay of Srixon Soft Feels.

Think I ended up with 90 balls for under £40. One lot was 40 balls for £16.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To be honest, I rarely buy balls these days.
I have loads from the Titleist test I did last year, a dozen from a magazine subscription and I find plenty on the course.
Add to that, I don't lose many so I'm overflowing.
I'm not convinced that performance drops off significantly with balls unless they're kept in extreme conditions.
That makes these Pearl balls a decent buy.

If you follow your brother round you could start up your own golf ball business! 😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've got so many balls I don't need to buy any more, but will always buy a sleeve of new balls (e.g. the new Wilson Duo Performance etc) to see how they perform. I certainly wouldn't buy pearl grade or lake balls as a consumer choice as I have concerns over the quality. Others clearly don't share that but it's something I've always done and would continue to do so. If the need arose again, I'd still look at deals for whatever new balls were out at that time

D

Deleted member 25172

But have you been fitted for lake balls??? :devilish::devilish::devilish:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
DX2's are only £16 a box anyway though. Seems worth buying them new and not gamble on quality, but each to their own.

Probably nothing more than mental/placebo effect, but I quite like knowing the ball is consistent even if nothing else is!

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
I only buy new balls when they are on a really cheap offer. I've got loads in store. Good job as I've not seen any good offers in the sales this year

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of the beauties of having dogs and walking them on a golf course is you find lots and lots of golf balls. got enough Prov 1s to last me another 3 years.

though saying that the soft compression ball experiment a few of us are doing if it works and we find a soft comp that will spin the same as a prem ball, i might have to buy more than the odd sleeve

D

Deleted member 21258

Cant remember the last time I bought new balls for me. Always play with seconds or ones found on the course.

Rather spend the money on playing a top 100 course.:oops:

jordan1987

Visit site

I got grilled yesterday for suggesting that second hand pearl balls are better value.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I havent bought a box of new golf balls for ages. I keep winning them in sweeps and Soc days. Where I get brands I dont like, I can exchange them in the pro shop and pay a top up (sometimes) or I sell on ebay.

Dont lose many on home course either.

I was shocked the summer I worked at Celtic Manor at the number of folk turning up and stocking up on balls from the shop there at top prices... I used to find stacks of balls when I was on course marshalling too.