Nine Holes in Sheffield or Chesterfield Area

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Any suggestions. Thinking I’ll take my lad for a knock but as he hasn’t played for a good few years he’s not sure if he’ll be able to hit it. He had lessons about 15yrs ago so grip, stance and basics are there - and he has a natural swing And if he returned to the game he could be good. Last time out maybe 5yrs ago he managed with only a couple of air shots and nothing absurd, but thinking maybe best to just go for 9 holes p&p - just in case it’s awful and he gets fed up. Thoughts? Some time around 18th May.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve played Tapton Park couple of times but thinking not 18holes - didn’t realise it had a 9 holes - will give them a call. Stanedge is very close but thinking as a members club they would be doing visitors. Need to register to check things with Beauchief. And can’t see any visitor info about Lees Hall...and no idea what it’s like. Will have a look at Rother Valley as a par 3 course might be just the thing - but not of pitch&putt sort.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tapton has a 9 hole academy course as well as the main course which comes back to the car park/club house after 9. Birley also laid out to just play front 9. Rother valley par 3 is good, most holes 100yds or less.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am off to the Pete Cowan academy for a lesson tomorrow, there’s a Course up there about 10 mins from Meadowhall. I can ask if there’s a nine hole option.

dronfield

Visit site
Bondhay has a 9 hole par 3 course, with a decent reputation - is on road to Worksop.
Tapton 9 holes used to be worth playing - not heard it mentioned for many years.
Lees Hall is a private 18 hole club.

Rich

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
The Grange is 18 as far as i know , easy to do 9 tho as it loops back to the car park but yes it is an 18 holer not a bad course last time i played all be it
some time ago cannot say how it is now after a long shutdown.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks all for the suggestions...keep em coming. As mentioned - going to be after the next step in covid restriction relaxations.

My lad has said he’s def up for it...nine holes (either 9 holes or if can pay and play 9 of an 18 holer) at first is best he thinks - but it’s going to have to be somewhere with a pretty relaxed dress code as his dress du jour is jeans plus black ‘metal band‘ t-shirt (to show off his arm sleeve tattoos ?) Though if needs must I am sure I could persuade him into ‘standard’ golfing attire...and he doesn’t have a handicap though he was a member at my club for a few years but some years ago - and knows the basics.