Got really angry today, first time in ages.....

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went out today feeling great for a change, I set off (after a bit of chipping and putting)on the back nine.

After 10 holes I was 1 under, I had been hitting sweetly, making some textbook pars and two birdies, only lost a shot after a decent shot to the green was just a couple of feet too far left and didnt slow enough and caught a downslope off the green that I had to chip on from a poor lie.

As I got to a relatively easy par 3 (for me, even if I miss the green sometimes or run through)that is rarely a problem, I made a big big mistake, I changed my way of thinking and decided to try something clever, by trying to generate lots of backspin and go for the pin. (normally I hit a shot and let it bounce and run on, or if the greens are soft, just a lofted soft fade) This time following the previous 10 holes, I was suddenly a pro :mad:
I carried the anger to the next hole and sliced my drive (only bad drive today) my next shot was from ditch hazard, ball was chest high in the stance, but I put the ball 20' from the pin, so I thought I was back on track after a near birdie, comfy par.

No, my game collapsed and I shot 77, that may look ok or even good, but from the golf on the first 10 to the golf thereafter (except one hole) I played poorly, and all my own doing for changing my thinking and trying too hard. :rolleyes:

Still, maybe next time :D

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey Herbie you've just described my last comp. 1 under through 10 to finish with 77 :eek:

Gotta laugh really cos one day we're both gonna murder the course.........I hope ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It happens. You are going along sweetly and playing decent golf and then a little voice suggests something out of the ordinary and usually unncessary and because you are feeling confident you go for it. Cue wheels coming off wagons PDQ.

We all do it and there is no logical reason. If you'd played your stock shot you'd have played the hole perfectly well and walked off and carried on playing good golf. Focus on the positives and look forward. Nothing you can do now excpet learn from it

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
How did you feel Jammy? 77 is a great score for me, but boy was I peeved!!!

And thanks Homer you are absolutely right I think? lol

T

thecraw

Thats not angry!!!!

I as a junior used to be able to throw a nine iron further than I could hit a golf ball with it!!!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great shooting Herbie, 77 eh? And you're annoyed :eek:
Come on mate, never satisfied are we? :cool: :p

Golfmmad.

You know Golfmad, its not the score today that mattered at all, its the complete change mentally and cockupability (new word there) that put a downer on my day.....and no, Im never really satisfied :D but Im off to bed to dream of being a pro. :D :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just goes to show there's more obstacles in the way of a good score than the course in front of you.

Still great scoring though. Like Homer says, take the positives and learn. You've had 11 good holes and 7 not so good ones, but which will be on your mind the next time you tee the ball up?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thats not really cockupability (great new word). Thats when the wheels come off (your round today), followed by the exhaust and the clunking sound the members having a drink on the patio can hear is the chassis of the golfing bandwagon dragging itself towards the 18th. Been there!!! Dropped six shots in 3 holes when winning! All because a little voice started saying don't hook OB at 16 and at 17. Where did the ball go??

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The brain doesn't recognise "don't", all you're doing when you think like that is giving your subconscious an image to fulfil, i.e the OB.

(That's if you believe the books on the mental game)

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
How did you feel Jammy? 77 is a great score for me, but boy was I peeved!!!

Well tbh Herbie i've been getting kinda resigned to playing the back 9 poorly. At the time I get a little frustrated with it all but know in my heart its just a game. We all feel the pain of letting a good round drift into an average one dont we ??

I've lost count of the number of times i've been sitting pretty , striking the ball cleanly and with any side spin I like , distance control spot on. Then from nowhere in comes a double followed by a single and thats it the handicap gone and another buffer hit instead of a cut.

Have to say though for the first time this year I did manage level par on the back 9 on saturday. Even that had a double thrown in though....aaargghhhh I feel your pain Herbie I really do (sighs)