Nightmare First Hole

jgozza

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a member of Bexleyheath Golf course and just cant cope with the first hole.
The hole is a dog leg right and you need the ball to be in the middle of the fairway for the second shot.
Off the tee if the ball goes left it goes down a hill and if it goes right it goes out of bounds.
I try and set up perfectly to hit it straight down the middle but whatever i do it goes left or right. I think it is just my mind thinking to much about this hole as i am fine on the other holes but cant keep on getting high scores on this hole.
All advice welcome!!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How far down the fairway do you need to hit it to be clear of the dog-leg, and what club are you taking off the tee now?

What score would you be happy with on that hole?

danbaylis

Club Champion
Visit site
Drop down to a 5 iron or your "go to club" and try to post a good score (bogey).

Also try and change your mindset as I bet you stand there thinking don't go out of bounds and don't do this and that etc etc. Try to focus on a smooth swing and down the middle etc. A few smooth practice swings might help remove nervous tension.

I use to have the same with our 220 yard Par 3 3rd hole, I use to hit every bad shot in the book until I just changed my mind set and focus on a bogey.

Mental game is a nightmare.

jgozza

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You need to hit it 200 yards to be able to view the hole so if you come up short you will still have to fade it around the trees. I have tried my 3 rescue wood, 4 iron - 5 iron comes up to short.
It is also a nine hole course so i have to play it twice in the round!!!
Here is a picture of it and marked up is where i keep going plus the red cross is a hill that goes down and up to the green as the picture looks like its a flat fairway.
For a clearer picture - http://bexleyheath-golf.com/course/

gc.jpg

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need to hit it 200 yards to be able to view the hole so if you come up short you will still have to fade it around the trees. I have tried my 3 rescue wood, 4 iron - 5 iron comes up to short.
It is also a nine hole course so i have to play it twice in the round!!!
Here is a picture of it and marked up is where i keep going plus the red cross is a hill that goes down and up to the green as the picture looks like its a flat fairway.
For a clearer picture - http://bexleyheath-golf.com/course/

View attachment 791

Would you need to fade it round or could you play it as a 3 shotter to get to the green?

Even if that is 5 iron, 7 iron, wedge?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you tried nice easy 3/4 swing with a driver ? aim it left side of fairway .. our 17th is dog leg left bout 200-220 to corner depending on tees , been switching between 3iron & 3wood , one of my mates suggest the easy driver option .. i now have 3 way of playing the hole depending on tees & weather etc ..

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming there are no hazards within range left, then that is much more favourable than having to reload after OOB on the right. Set up to hit down the left and if you go get a bit 'slicey' you have more margin of error on the right.

In my experience, it is just as hard to cosy a ball into the required position - invariable you try to steer the ball and it messes up your swing. I would go with hybrid and fully commit to it (easier said than done I know!)

BTW - do you all play in hard hats round there - talk about crossovers!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Must be a shot hole so its a par 5 anyway. If you make a 4 then you're ahead of the game. Even if you make 6 you've only lost one shot to handicap. Its a mind thing and its in your head on the tee now. You need to find a strategy that works. Persoanlly I'd be taking something I'd be confident of hitting straight, seeing where the tee shot finishes and plan the hole from there knowing I still have 4 more for my nett par

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pick out a target that is on the line you want to hit but is in the distance and high up (a high tree, even a cloud). Focus on this target and ignore everything else, line up and hit with full conviction at the target.

This takes your mind away from hazards and removes negative thoughts that will tend to make you steer the club and create an ugly shot.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep. Negative and all, this seems like a hole to be conservative at. I'd suggest you play the longest 'safe' club I have and look for making par with the pitch - though be not unhappy if you don't.

There are several holes on my course play that way, one being a little like that one.

The fact that it's your 1st would also steer me to being conservative with the tee shot - though a pull-fade is my 'natural' shape.