Night shifts...

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone on here work night shifts or any other form of rotating shift patern that means sometimes their body clock gets stuck in night mode.

In know my body clock these days seems to get stuck quite easily in night mode. I was awake till 5am before I felt I needed to get to bed. And then again this evening I've already reached 00:50 (Ten to one for mere mortals).

Now as living in a Terraced house I'm hardly going to go round doing the hoovering...lol, so what is there to do when my partner has gone to bed, well either watch the television or come on here... Or of course do both. I used to read a lot of books at one time, but somehow over the past few years haven't felt like reading too much.

Anyone else have problems like this re-adjusting to daylight hours

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over the years I've done lots of shift working (only we called it watchkeeping) and after a time I found, that for the most part, I could switch in and out of the shift patterns pretty easily.
However it did leave a hang over where, every once in a while, I just wouldn't bother to sleep for two or three days. This had distinct advantages when we were in port as, if you did a bit of basic research, you could always find a bar open somewhere.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
i had a problem re-adjusting when i worked on Liverpool Crown Courts doing a re-furb which lasted a year,and so did the trance i was in,i suppose its something to get used to but i had no interest in my golf it was not for me

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Worked nights and a rotating shift pattern for many years now, your body never adjusts to it; eating is erratic at times, sleeping as you described certainly is.

Only thing positive about it, is it gives me time during the mornings or afternoons to play and practice golf, whereas the 9 to 5`ers have trouble squeezing in games during the week.

The_Squire

Head Pro
Visit site
I work 12 hr shifts and one pattern we did was murder for the body clock, it went like this,

Monday - nights
Tuesday- nights
Wed - off
Thurs - off
Friday - days
Sat - days
Sunday - days
Monday - off
Tuesday- off
Wed - nights
Thurs - nights
Friday - off
Sat - off
Sunday - off

And the pattern would alernate for the next two weeks finishing with a weekend of 3 night shifts, the main problem was after the night shifts I would finish at 6am, spend the day in bed then have to try to sleep that night which was hard as your on night shift mode and then the next night you can't fall asleep and the alarm is set for 5am. :(

So your not the only one up through the night when not in work and it's just a pain trying to keep quiet and not wake the house.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well Overtime starts at 6am & I'm still wide awake. That's after getting to bed a 5 am & getting up at 9am to try & do a mega cleanup around the house. Still too much to try & do before christmas eve.

So must try & get some sleep I'f I'm to be up for 04-45