NFL 2024

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So another NFL season approaches, my 43rd following the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. To keep other threads free for important discussions about why LIV is good/crap/waste of space/illuminating (delete where appropriate) and why the new Cobra THX1138 driver is worth £200 more than last year's model, here is somewhere for the gridiron fans amongst the forum to discuss the season.

I will pass on making any predictions as I am notoriously bad at them (like the time on Sky when I said that Drew Brees would never be successful in the NFL) but there are enough story lines for this season. The Chiefs going for an unprecedented three peat (allowed in this sport) Super Bowl, the Lions trying to become the last original pre-Super Bowl team to make the Super Bowl, the continued hype over CJ Stroud and the Texans and just how hot Mike McCarthy's coaching seat is in Dallas (volcanic).

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nearly 40 years for me with the Fins.
Really hope that the Chiefs don't 3peat, as I now have an irrational hatred for the Chiefs (Mahomes & the whole Kelce/Swift thing being the main culprits).
Agree about McCarthy though - he's been hanging on by his fingernails for about 2 years now.
Will be interesting to see if Stroud avoids the sophomore slump (& if the Texans & Lions can continue to get it done).
Will Jordan Love be worth the mammoth contract he got after half a season of decent play?
Hoping that the Jets crash & burn - will Rodgers make it past 4 plays this year?
Desperately hoping that Tua continues to play well & we can actually win a playoff game!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
The Tom Brady era is long gone.
My New England Patriots are going to be horrific again this year.

If I'm going to watch a ridiculous game
where the horror of quadriplegia is always on the table
and chronic traumatic encephalopathy is virtually guaranteed,
I'll need a better team than that as an incentive.

Neither Boston College nor Harvard look particularly promising in amateur American football this season,
so I'm taking this year off.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I'm going to watch a ridiculous game
where the horror of quadriplegia is always on the table
and chronic traumatic encephalopathy is virtually guaranteed,
I'll need a better team than that as an incentive

Is that an American Haiku or an attempt to score 500 points at Scrabble? :D

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Welcome back" Sharkie!

Hoping for Dallas to go further this time, as last couple of seasons Dak has choked when it matters. Took a long time to get CeeDee Lamb signed-up. Perhaps they couldn't find him after he when missing in the wild card play-off versus Green Bay. Like to know the reason there Sharkie, if you know. Also Ez Elliott is back :unsure:

My 16yr old son is really now into NBA (Golden State) and NFL (Dallas) . (y)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ah the Cowboys, the anti-Christs of the NFL. As disliked as much as the Yankees are in baseball and the Maple Leafs in hockey. As in, "I support the Bucs and whoever is playing Dallas". I just have a problem with Jerry Jones who for 30 years, has thought because it was his team, he could be the GM and be succesful. And for 30 years, they have not even been to the NFC title game. Perhaps it was Jimmy Johnson after all in the 1990s....

But being really honest, I respect anyone who has supported a team for any length of time. A friend of mine has been a Vikings fan over here for 40 years, seen over 150 of their games and is still waiting for a trip to the Super Bowl.

Dallas in 2024 though? Another over-rated, over-hyped disappointment ahead and McCarthy is gone before the end of the season. Then it's Belichick (which would be disastrous and hilarious) or Vrabel (successful and annoying).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For me once more it is the Pats. Anywhere near the top two in the division is a massive success story. I have a feeling it won’t be.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
No idea how the Broncos will go this season

Managed to offload Wilson which is a positive

Nix is prob the best QB for a while there but not sure he has the support around him outside Sutton

Think it’s another season of growing for Payton’s Team - maybe an outside bet for a wild card if they can keep everyone fit

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They should have become the Washington Sentinels after the team from "The Replacements". Keanu Reaves could have worn his "Shane Falco 16" jersey to the first game - Gene Hackman as the coach.
Washington do have hope in the form of rookie QB Jaydon Daniels but he is an injury waiting to happen the way he runs the ball on scrambles - it worked at LSU in the college game but he will get killed if he tries it too much in the NFL.
They are probably good for 6-7 wins this season and third place ahead of the Giants in the NFC East. They face the Masters of the Universe in their opening game Sunday ;-)

btw Homer, I saw your old mate Rich Lambert last weekend when he came down to stay. You can imagine the message he wanted me to pass on to you :D

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very long time pants fan ,that should read pats 😜, harking back to the Bledsoe days when we're truly pants, then it was the the glory years now it's back to pants , I'm thinking that third in division would be a result and anything better as a belter of a season.

Springveldt

Visit site
Nearly 40 years for me with the Fins.
Really hope that the Chiefs don't 3peat, as I now have an irrational hatred for the Chiefs (Mahomes & the whole Kelce/Swift thing being the main culprits).
Agree about McCarthy though - he's been hanging on by his fingernails for about 2 years now.
Will be interesting to see if Stroud avoids the sophomore slump (& if the Texans & Lions can continue to get it done).
Will Jordan Love be worth the mammoth contract he got after half a season of decent play?
Hoping that the Jets crash & burn - will Rodgers make it past 4 plays this year?
Desperately hoping that Tua continues to play well & we can actually win a playoff game!
Another Dolphins fan here from when I was a kid and channel 4 started showing the games.

Quietly optimistic about this season, probably haven’t felt this good about the team since the 1993 or 1994 season. If they can avoid having 9 starters out injured like the end of last season then I actually expect them to win the division. I think Buffalo will take a step back this season due to their WR and defensive changes and the Jets will just find a way to be the Jets. Not sure how effective Rodgers will be coming back from an Achilles tear at 40 years old.

Fully expect the Pats to be in the running for the #1 overall next year.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Caleb Williams. No. 1 draft pick for Chicago. Worth the hype?

Definitely the No.1 overall selection and a more pro-ready prospect than Drake Maye or Jaydon Daniels. The success rate on first round QBs is 50% and the Bucs have contributed to the negative over the years (Testaverde, Dilfer and Winston). Williams is walking into a better situation than most as the Bears have a lot of offensive talent around him. Maye is on the worst roster in the NFL and Daniels is not a lot better. The Bears are the outside pick for a wild card in the NFC.