NFL 2019

U

User62651

A Super Bowl Sunday without the Patriots is like an Open Championship on a parkland hotel course.
I'll pass and watch an old movie instead.

The game must go on in the middle of the night for you folks. Do many people watch?

Eastern time is better than pacific time at least!;)

I will try and watch, have to see how I am on the night though, get a snooze earlier maybe.
Been following Chiefs for a few seasons now, maybe due a SB. My only US relatives (distant 3rd/4th cousins) are Kansas/Missouri based so it'd be good for them although Royals/baseball is really their game.
Just hope it's a high scoring offense dominated game after last years cagey defence dominated affair - Gurley and co never got going for rams.

Clearly Gronk a big miss for Pats this season.

Of 65 million brits I'd be surprised if a million watched the game live.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
My chances of watching have just nosedived. Directors over on Monday next week and I’m now in meetings all day in Milton Keynes. Can’t be jaded for that.
Deep joy

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Super Bowl always kicks off at 11.30pm UK time, 6.30pm Eastern Time. Local time kickoff changes to meet that requirement from the host broadcasters.
I will watch the highlights as I have no real interest in either team outside of the 49ers GM John Lynch being a friend so I hope he gets another ring as a result.
For me, the NFL season ended just after Christmas when Jameis Winston threw another pick six to lose the final game to the Falgoons in overtime.
Only 15 days until pitchers and catchers report for spring training.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
For those of you with Netflix, I recommend "Inside the mind of Aaron Hernandez", the former Patriots player who was convicted of murder whilst playing in the NFL and then hung himself in prison. He was suffering from CTE but this is a balanced outsiders' view on the events that led up to and following the murders. From contacts inside the NFL, he fell to the 4th round because of serious character concerns coming out of college and was on a par with Aqib Talib, the former NFL cornerback who was described to me as the most dangerous human being ever to play professional sports.
Watched it. No tears shed for the guy from me. Was very interesting though.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those of you with Netflix, I recommend "Inside the mind of Aaron Hernandez", the former Patriots player who was convicted of murder whilst playing in the NFL and then hung himself in prison. He was suffering from CTE but this is a balanced outsiders' view on the events that led up to and following the murders. From contacts inside the NFL, he fell to the 4th round because of serious character concerns coming out of college and was on a par with Aqib Talib, the former NFL cornerback who was described to me as the most dangerous human being ever to play professional sports.

Thanks for that, just binged it in the hotel room, brilliant stuff.
Kind of had some sympathy for him at the end but at the same time it's clear he was a crazy, badass son bitch.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Not a great NFL fan but read this at lunchtime and thought it very good, might be worth a read;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/51281357

The Lombardi belief was that while perfection was likely impossible, only the RELENTLESS pursuit of perfection could bring the realization of actual potential in the form of excellence.
Even as a fellow Italian American, I was not a fan of Lombardi because I was young at the time and saw no value to discipline and his gruff ways.

As years went by, the players who bore the brunt of his zeal for perfection virtually all agreed that in retrospect, it was largely the reason for their success, and in the long view, worth it.
The still living Packers from that era speak of Lombardi with reverence.

I look at a Croatian American named Bill Belichick, who coached my Patriots to six Lombardi Trophies, and get the impression that the relentless pursuit of perfection is still a formula that works. I never applied it to my golf game, of course, and it shows.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The Lombardi belief was that while perfection was likely impossible, only the RELENTLESS pursuit of perfection could bring the realization of actual potential in the form of excellence.
Even as a fellow Italian American, I was not a fan of Lombardi because I was young at the time and saw no value to discipline and his gruff ways.

As years went by, the players who bore the brunt of his zeal for perfection virtually all agreed that in retrospect, it was largely the reason for their success, and in the long view, worth it.
The still living Packers from that era speak of Lombardi with reverence.

I look at a Croatian American named Bill Belichick, who coached my Patriots to six Lombardi Trophies, and get the impression that the relentless pursuit of perfection is still a formula that works. I never applied it to my golf game, of course, and it shows.

What interested me more was the bits I didn't know; I knew about his volcanic temper & hard treatment of players, I didn't realise the same man would ban his white players from bars & restaurants that wouldn't entertain his black players. Remarkably brave & forward thinking at the time, yet something that I'd never heard mentioned before about him.

I hadn't seen the pursuit of perfection mantra attributed to him before, but obviously one of my old driving instructors had & drummed it into me in my formative years, and I have to say it worked and has stayed with me.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Final game of the NFL season tonight. I am calling Chiefs by 14 and taking the under (54) on the points.
Disappointing news over night that a friend of mine, John Lynch, missed out of the Hall of Fame again. But as the current GM of the Niners, he is sitting in a pretty good place in his new career.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Final game of the NFL season tonight. I am calling Chiefs by 14 and taking the under (54) on the points.
Disappointing news over night that a friend of mine, John Lynch, missed out of the Hall of Fame again. But as the current GM of the Niners, he is sitting in a pretty good place in his new career.

according to Wikipedia he has had a good career. ?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
They're actually playing a Super Bowl game today without my Patriots being involved. I understand that it's going to be official and count in the records and everything. Hard to imagine.

To what little extent that I care about a no-Patriots game, I hope the Chiefs win because they're an original AFL team (albeit first in Dallas, not Kansas City).

Plus, the Niners would join the Patriots and the (uuugh) Steelers at six Lombardy Trophies if they win.

Now if I actually had to go for a visit, then yes, in that case I'll take San Francisco over flyover country, even though my favorite hangout there, Lefty O'Doul's, has closed. Middle America isn't comfortable with my shockingly coastal values!

Sorry, Jimmy G....I know you're a fellow paisan and all, but I've got to go with Mahomes and his ridiculous haircut today....not that I'll actually be watching the game.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Perhaps if you mention you know John Lynch for the third time, he’ll get in next time ??

Too late for me to watch the SB as need to be in the City tomorrow. Chiefs for me by 37-17.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Perhaps if you mention you know John Lynch for the third time, he’ll get in next time ??

Too late for me to watch the SB as need to be in the City tomorrow. Chiefs for me by 37-17.

I'll post my picture of me holding the Bucs' Vince Lombardi Trophy next :) Not one of the two replicas that each team has but the original one.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"Watch the Americas Game episode where the Bucs won the Super Bowl. Comes across really well."

Along with Gruden and Sapp. Well two out of three ain't bad as Meat Loaf once said. Sapp is a complete and utter tool. I had the misfortune to be taking him round the Tower of London in November when the Bucs were over for an NFL Films production. The moment the camera was rolling - nice as pie and great for the programme. Rest of the time, absolute tool. And he's been like that his entire life. I'm in the background of that America's Game when Don Shula tosses the coin - you can see me in the crowd behind at the Super Bowl.