Newbie, please help

BFL

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi, basically i played golf for the 1st time a couple of weeks at a mates stag do and really enjoyed it. Played 9 holes on a par 3 and i want to start playing a bit now so looking for some irons but havent got much of a budget so around £200 and then i can slowly add bits to it. What would be the best brand to look at?

Cheers

Leigh

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly, I'd buy second hand Game Improvement irons.

You should pick up a set of Ping G5s for around £100. Then, I'd look at a second hand driver. Ping G10s go for £40.

Then I'd look at a putter that you like the look of. Gumtree and ebay should help.

Then I'd consider saving some change from the £200 to go and get a few group lessons from your local pro. These are much cheaper than one-to-one lessons and will help you with the basics before being let loose on the golfing world!

Good luck.

BFL

Club Champion
Visit site
Firstly, I'd buy second hand Game Improvement irons.

You should pick up a set of Ping G5s for around £100. Then, I'd look at a second hand driver. Ping G10s go for £40.

Then I'd look at a putter that you like the look of. Gumtree and ebay should help.

Then I'd consider saving some change from the £200 to go and get a few group lessons from your local pro. These are much cheaper than one-to-one lessons and will help you with the basics before being let loose on the golfing world!

Good luck.
Thanks for your help. I went to a pro last week for some advice and to ask about lessons and he said i should get clubs fitted so second hand will end up costing more. Is this true or was he just trying to sell me clubs?

Ive seen on the sale page some wilson Di11 for 90 quid and have read some review so they might be a good shout if theyre still available.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I went to a pro last week for some advice and to ask about lessons and he said i should get clubs fitted so second hand will end up costing more. Is this true or was he just trying to sell me clubs?

Ive seen on the sale page some wilson Di11 for 90 quid and have read some review so they might be a good shout if theyre still available.

Brand new fitted clubs are your best option. Will it make your swing better? No. Your arms, torso and legs swing the club- not the other way round.

You're a newbie- buy cheap, good brands and then upgrade over time.

Save cash on gear and plough it into lessons and games.

What would you prefer? A good swing with bad clubs or a bad swing with good clubs?

Wilson Di11s will do you fine.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll sell you a set of Wilson Staff DI7 Irons and a mizuno JPX driver for £100 delivered. You won't get a cheaper start than that.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll sell you a set of Wilson Staff DI7 Irons and a mizuno JPX driver for £100 delivered. You won't get a cheaper start than that.

I would recommend that you put this in the For Sale section with pics to comply with site rules (unless you've done so already!).

BFL- You'll not be able to reply to posts in the For Sale Section until you have 100 posts on the site. However, should you see anything you want to buy, then click on the name of the seller and send them a private message. It will then be up to them to deal with you privately.

BFL

Club Champion
Visit site
Brand new fitted clubs are your best option. Will it make your swing better? No. Your arms, torso and legs swing the club- not the other way round.

You're a newbie- buy cheap, good brands and then upgrade over time.

Save cash on gear and plough it into lessons and games.

What would you prefer? A good swing with bad clubs or a bad swing with good clubs?

Wilson Di11s will do you fine.
Thanks for the advice, ive just booked a handful of lessons with the local pro.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would recommend that you put this in the For Sale section with pics to comply with site rules (unless you've done so already!).

BFL- You'll not be able to reply to posts in the For Sale Section until you have 100 posts on the site. However, should you see anything you want to buy, then click on the name of the seller and send them a private message. It will then be up to them to deal with you privately.

Just waiting for the weekend so I can upload the pictures, hence I have not created a for sale thread yet.

Thanks for the advice.

dannyboi91

Medal Winner
Visit site
I started playing about 2 months ago. Bought myself a set of cheap clubs from gumtree which cost me a whole £75. I am glad I done this rather than buying new as I saved so much money, also if I decided to give it up after finishing a round in 100+ then I have not wasted money. I suggest you look for a cheap set of clubs play a couple of rounds and get some lessons then decide if you are going to jump in for fitted clubs. The pro would of said this as he was hoping you would go to him for the fitting and buy clubs from him.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also bought a secondhand set including a bag for £75 but from ebay. I first started playing just over a year ago and my pro won't custom fit me until next year. Infact it could well be the end of the season next year when he will do it. Have had a putter fitting though as the putter in my set was no good for me.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi, basically i played golf for the 1st time a couple of weeks at a mates stag do and really enjoyed it. Played 9 holes on a par 3 and i want to start playing a bit now so looking for some irons but havent got much of a budget so around £200 and then i can slowly add bits to it. What would be the best brand to look at?
Cheers
Leigh

Hello and welcome you had some pretty sound advice already. Have fun and enjoy! :)

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are some absolute bargains to be had, particularly on Gumtree as some people don't know what they're selling! So fingers crossed that there's something in your area.

BFL

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers guys thanks for all your advice. Will look at some cheap clubs. Looking forward to some lessons now. Went to the range tonight and hired some clubs, hit ok up to a 6 iron but drivers were a bit inconsistent.

dannyboi91

Medal Winner
Visit site
The driver is the hardest club in your set along with your 3 Iron. I am terrible with my driver so I actually tee off using my 5 iron. Do not get huge distance but almost every tee shot goes straight. Luckily my short game has improved so much since booking lessons I can still keep up with the guys driving 200+ yds

BFL

Club Champion
Visit site
So I went to the local golf shop today to try some clubs out and to my surprise I hit the cheapest irons the best. I tried some callaway x 12, callaway razr x, ping g5 and lynx black cats(all second hand) I hit the lynx by far the best and they felt really nice to hit. the guy in there was really helpful and said I was hitting the ball well and gave me a few pointers. I might buy the clubs as they felt so good. Anyone had any experience with lynx clubs?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I went to the local golf shop today to try some clubs out and to my surprise I hit the cheapest irons the best. I tried some callaway x 12, callaway razr x, ping g5 and lynx black cats(all second hand) I hit the lynx by far the best and they felt really nice to hit. the guy in there was really helpful and said I was hitting the ball well and gave me a few pointers. I might buy the clubs as they felt so good. Anyone had any experience with lynx clubs?

There's some nice ones here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Wonderf...Leisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item5af6e38444

Don't know anything about them- Lynx aren't a mainstream manufacturer but still make some crazy drivers (Boom Boom).

Were you hitting on a range? Or into a simulator or net?

Were you getting the ball up high in the air? Tell us more about your experience....

BFL

Club Champion
Visit site
There's some nice ones here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Wonderf...Leisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item5af6e38444

Don't know anything about them- Lynx aren't a mainstream manufacturer but still make some crazy drivers (Boom Boom).

Were you hitting on a range? Or into a simulator or net?

Were you getting the ball up high in the air? Tell us more about your experience....
I was hitting into a net but getting the ball where I wanted it to go. He said to me my swing is ok and alot better than nearly all newcomers and my hand eye coordination was really good.

he actually suggested I dont get lessons straight away and just keep hitting the ball as much as possible for a month before lessons as he felt I already had the basics. He told me from the swing he could tell that my shot would go mainly go right to left(which is my experience on the range) as im not opening the club enough on the back swing.

he was an alround helpful guy and I walked away glad that I went to have a chat. He also suggested which courses I should play in the area to get into it.