newbie needs advice

PurpleViking

Visit site
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm moving home shortly and was hoping someone could advise me.

I'm retiring and was looking to take up golf, without spending an arm and a leg at least till I see if I like it enough.

I found these on Amazon and thought it may be best to ask those that know if these would do for a beginner.
View attachment 28950 https://amzn.to/2RbRGhb

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Buy second hand and have lessons. That aside for a first post, bit naughty advertising equipment that could be construed as er yours.
welcome to the forum PV.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. My advice would to invest in lessons first and see if you enjoy it and then ask the teaching pro for advice. I would steer clear of these starter sets as in my opinion the quality is usually pretty poor compared to clubs made by more well known manufacturers. There are sites like Golfbidder that offer second hand sets of clubs, putters and woods. Again the pro can advise what would suit you best

PurpleViking

Visit site
Buy second hand and have lessons. That aside for a first post, bit naughty advertising equipment that could be construed as er yours.
welcome to the forum PV.

Thanks for the advice it makes sense and I was going to buy them but thanks appreciate your reply

PurpleViking

Visit site
Welcome along. My advice would to invest in lessons first and see if you enjoy it and then ask the teaching pro for advice. I would steer clear of these starter sets as in my opinion the quality is usually pretty poor compared to clubs made by more well known manufacturers. There are sites like Golfbidder that offer second hand sets of clubs, putters and woods. Again the pro can advise what would suit you best

Thanks for that that does make a lot of sense, I'll do that, excuse my ignorance Cheers

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome along mate, good luck with starting golf and welcome to the most frustrating, annoying, rewarding fun game ever. ????

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for that that does make a lot of sense, I'll do that, excuse my ignorance Cheers
No such thing as a daft question. It's how you learn by asking. Don't be shy and ask away. There are a lot of really friendly and helpful people on here and we have a resident professional (retired) called Bob (known as Bobmac on here) and he really does talk sense and will go out of his way to offer help and advice. Enjoy yourself on here. Dive in and enjoy the madness. Hopefully you and golf will click but getting lessons first will give you a firm foundation regarding technique

PurpleViking

Visit site
No such thing as a daft question. It's how you learn by asking. Don't be shy and ask away. There are a lot of really friendly and helpful people on here and we have a resident professional (retired) called Bob (known as Bobmac on here) and he really does talk sense and will go out of his way to offer help and advice. Enjoy yourself on here. Dive in and enjoy the madness. Hopefully you and golf will click but getting lessons first will give you a firm foundation regarding technique

Loving the madness already wish I had joined before. One worry frightened to take a realy good swing incase I wrap me beer belly around me neck but hay ho

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Like said above buy used and invest in some lessons dont go mental with buying what you think you need, a driver, fairway wood or hybrid and 5-pw irons, a sand wedge, putter that will get you started, if you end up enjoying the game you will replace them as you improve, then you could think about a fitting next year, welcome to the forum loads of great advice

PurpleViking

Visit site
Leave those alone.

For that money you could get top quality second hand. Whereabouts are yo

Someone will recommend a good pro to see. Or have some good stuff to sell on.

Eg I know of a full set of Ping G10 irons
Think he wants £150 for them.

But others will know of stuff about

Hi Ian thanks for your advice I'm up in Shetland but my partner is down looking at property around the Mintlaw area as her daughter has a flat near there. Many thanks.

PurpleViking

Visit site
Like said above buy used and invest in some lessons dont go mental with buying what you think you need, a driver, fairway wood or hybrid and 5-pw irons, a sand wedge, putter that will get you started, if you end up enjoying the game you will replace them as you improve, then you could think about a fitting next year, welcome to the forum loads of great advice

Thanks for the advice, I'm so glad I asked first, much appreciated.

PurpleViking

Visit site
Find a friendly pool room or bowling alley and save yourself much frustration as you approach your dotage.
I say this with the kindest of intentions, not to mention experience.

Thanks for the advice, feel the need to get out and about but may try those as well. Hopefully get a few rounds or games in before the dotage sets in. Cheers

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
SH everyday, i would check out Golfclubs4cash, or get in touch with Martin Piggot of Fairways, he takes stuff up to Orkney, he might go to shetland too, but not sure.

he is based in the Driving range at Inverness and always has a fair bit of SH gear as goes the golf centre, who are part of the same company.