Advice on finding beginner course in Surrey (Wide Fairways, good conditions)

Lukamak

Visit site
Hi guys, was wondering if you could advise few courses in Surrey area that would be great for beginner.

I have played almost all Par3 courses and think about moving up to real one.

Thanks

MACM85

Visit site
Hurtmore is a good shout. I am just round the corner and play it through winter as it holds up well. Always happy to team up for a round one weekend.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hurtmore is a good shout. I am just round the corner and play it through winter as it holds up well. Always happy to team up for a round one weekend.
Another ? for Hurtmore as a good track for the less experienced player. Plenty of room off most tees and the par 4s aren’t that long. Nice clubhouse and nice location and surroundings. It starts fairly close to the A3 but any road noise isn’t intrusive. Though as IanM, I haven’t played it for a few years.

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
I'll third Hurtmore - reliably seem to shoot lower there than anywhere else, it's not too long, there is water but it's not too tough to avoid. The front 9 does double back on itself a few times leading to some internal OOBs that can catch you out if your driving is.. directionally-challenged, shall we say! ?

I'd actually recommend Clandon at this time of year (behind the Park & Ride at the top of Guildford, not Clandon Regis!) - it's really informal, as long as you look smart enough there's no dress code AFAIK, and crucially you can just book to play the front 9, which are slightly easier than the back 9. It's a downland course as opposed to parkland, so internally it's really open with not many trees (I've played off adjacent fairways more than once!) and the rough is pretty shortish this time of year. Drop me a message if you fancy a game as I try and play there most weekends.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might I suggest a pay and play, or something less glamourous? Being very new to the game will be hard enough without the pressure of a private club.
New Addington?

Lukamak

Visit site
Thanks for replies and invitation to play together. I will definitely be in touch.

For those asking more precise location, I am currently in Kingswood but don't mind driving 30min drive.

Appreciate help guys

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I'll third Hurtmore - reliably seem to shoot lower there than anywhere else, it's not too long, there is water but it's not too tough to avoid. The front 9 does double back on itself a few times leading to some internal OOBs that can catch you out if your driving is.. directionally-challenged, shall we say! ?

I'd actually recommend Clandon at this time of year (behind the Park & Ride at the top of Guildford, not Clandon Regis!) - it's really informal, as long as you look smart enough there's no dress code AFAIK, and crucially you can just book to play the front 9, which are slightly easier than the back 9. It's a downland course as opposed to parkland, so internally it's really open with not many trees (I've played off adjacent fairways more than once!) and the rough is pretty shortish this time of year. Drop me a message if you fancy a game as I try and play there most weekends.

I agree about both Hurtmore and Clandon. Yes, the rough at Clandon is forgiving at this time of year. But the op. must have a go at the back as well; I think it is more interesting. If you ring up to book and play early before the first people on the front get to the 10th, you may be able to play the back 9.

Wandering off topic a tad, I also think the back 9 at Clandon is harder than the front, particularly for higher handicappers. But the slope index on the back is 104.

Last edited:

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I stand corrected! Nothing about memberships on the website..?

I think they closed the waiting list so that's probably why. But when checking the website, I found the dress code, "Also, unlike traditional golf clubs, we do not have a strict dress code recognising that casual elegance is part and parcel of today’s lifestyle but please wear a top".