Newbie... Army or Camberley Heath?

penfold

Hacker
Visit site
Hello everyone,

First let me start by giving a small introduction about myself and golfing history.

I'm 26 and have been somewhat of a summer golfer for the past 5 years but since deciding to give up football in January, I have been committed to beginning my "golfing career" which naturally brought me to this forum.

I have been taking regular lessons and have seen some improvement and scored my best score of 84 (13 over) a few weeks back. I have decided the next step is to join a club to get an official handicap and start to play in competitions. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 courses, as you will see in the title of the post.. Army Golf Club and Camberley Heath GC which are very similar in cost and distance from my house.

Any opinions/experiences at either of the courses would be much appreciated?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Wookie is a member at the Army and TXL is a member at Camberley. Both are top blokes, ask them nicely and they may sign you in for a game so you can try before you buy :thup:

Both lovely courses btw, I would probably sway towards Camberley as a course, don't know what either is like as a club though.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wookie is a member at the Army and TXL is a member at Camberley. Both are top blokes, ask them nicely and they may sign you in for a game so you can try before you buy :thup:

Both lovely courses btw, I would probably sway towards Camberley as a course, don't know what either is like as a club though.

Drop me a pm when you want a game although I would leave it for about 3 weeks as they are "digging up" the greens this week! :eek:

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm also happy to sign you in for a game Penfold. Our greens should be back to perfect within the next couple of weeks and I'm away next week so sometime after weekend of the 25th would be good.

I would say that Camberley is the better course of the two but obviously don't know what it's like as a club.

What is the position there on fees at the moment then as I thought it was a fair bit more than at our place?

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they are both the same price, then go with Camberley......Army is nice ( so is Wookie), but Camberley ( especially off the back tees) is pretty special. It'd be a no brainer for me.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hello everyone,

First let me start by giving a small introduction about myself and golfing history.

I'm 26 and have been somewhat of a summer golfer for the past 5 years but since deciding to give up football in January, I have been committed to beginning my "golfing career" which naturally brought me to this forum.

I have been taking regular lessons and have seen some improvement and scored my best score of 84 (13 over) a few weeks back. I have decided the next step is to join a club to get an official handicap and start to play in competitions. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 courses, as you will see in the title of the post.. Army Golf Club and Camberley Heath GC which are very similar in cost and distance from my house.

Any opinions/experiences at either of the courses would be much appreciated?

Welcome to the forum.

Like you I am on the hunt for a new track and I am local to you in Sandhurst.

For me to join, CH is a fair bit more expensive than the Army course as I would need to purchase a c-share in the club to get started (£1500) then its £2K a year subscription. A great course but I dont know if my other half would sign that off!:eek:

As a 26yr old you wouldnt have to purchase the share I believe, and your subs would be only £1K.:thup:

I havent played the Army course yet but I know a couple of people there and will get around to it this year.

I played Puttenham GC last weekend which is only 20mins from my house. Talk about hidden gem, how did I not hear about this course before?

Back on thread, good luck with your search for a new course. have you also considered North Hants - even closer to you and its an excellent track.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
North Hants is a good shout, though I understand it is expensive to join ? Camberley is very nice, and you are young enough not to notice the mountains. Haven't played the Army for years, but I never get invited.:whistle:

Just drive a bit further out and join Blackmoor. We have another forumer who has just joined and he lives much further out than you.:whistle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
North Hants is a good shout, though I understand it is expensive to join ? Camberley is very nice, and you are young enough not to notice the mountains. Haven't played the Army for years, but I never get invited.:whistle:

Just drive a bit further out and join Blackmoor. We have another forumer who has just joined and he lives much further out than you.:whistle:

Ah - you needn't concern yourself about Blackmoor since on your way there you'd have to pop in to Farnham and you'd be so smitten that you'd never want to join another club in the Surrey/Hants Borders area...:)

penfold

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't realise the amount of members from the local area. I may have to revise my list looking at some of the courses suggested!!! Any other suggestions would be great?

I actually played Army recently and liked it but wasn't blown away with the condition if I'm honest but did like the feel of the club which seemed very friendly and welcoming. I'm having a round at Camberley soon but they too are "digging" there greens up at the moment I believe.

Can anyone recommend a local pro to the Surrey/Hants borders? I am currently having my lessons in central London as I work in the city but the lessons are indoor and expensive.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would think my course is in just about the best condition around the area. We have a big amateur competition, the Selbourne Salver on Saturday, and the course is always in tip top condition for that.

Also we are not as expensive as those Surrey courses like Farnham, and we don't flood.:whistle:

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't realise the amount of members from the local area. I may have to revise my list looking at some of the courses suggested!!! Any other suggestions would be great?

I actually played Army recently and liked it but wasn't blown away with the condition if I'm honest but did like the feel of the club which seemed very friendly and welcoming. I'm having a round at Camberley soon but they too are "digging" there greens up at the moment I believe.

Can anyone recommend a local pro to the Surrey/Hants borders? I am currently having my lessons in central London as I work in the city but the lessons are indoor and expensive.

I would say that the Army condition is definitely superb from about the end of this month through to the end of September. The last 2-3 weeks has seen the greens tined and a better covering of grass on the fairways.

The rest of the year is definitely playable but with two soggy points on the course unless it rains very heavily.

North Hants is a nice course but I know lots of members and most of them admit it's not the friendliest club with lots of cliques and no drawn competitions.

I would highly recommend Jason Brant just up the road from you at East Berkshire in Crowthorne - which just to confuse you some more is another option that would be well worth considering and definitely the closest.

Richart - shall we sort a game out in May some time?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
£650 plus a bar levy of £75. No joining fee. Goes up when you are 27 though to £950 I think from memory. We also do a credit scheme from age 27 to 40 where you basically pay when you play. If you were only playing twice a month this would be a much cheaper option, and would be around £650 again plus the bar levy.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say that the Army condition is definitely superb from about the end of this month through to the end of September. The last 2-3 weeks has seen the greens tined and a better covering of grass on the fairways.

The rest of the year is definitely playable but with two soggy points on the course unless it rains very heavily.

North Hants is a nice course but I know lots of members and most of them admit it's not the friendliest club with lots of cliques and no drawn competitions.

I would highly recommend Jason Brant just up the road from you at East Berkshire in Crowthorne - which just to confuse you some more is another option that would be well worth considering and definitely the closest.

Richart - shall we sort a game out in May some time?

If you want to make it a 3-ball I would be up for this Simon.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Who's that Rich? I know Hawkeye joined recently but I thought he upped sticks and moved closer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would think my course is in just about the best condition around the area. We have a big amateur competition, the Selbourne Salver on Saturday, and the course is always in tip top condition for that.

Also we are not as expensive as those Surrey courses like Farnham, and we don't flood.:whistle:

Farnham don't flood either - it's the fields around us that overflow (once in 25yrs) :)

Last edited: