Newbie... Army or Camberley Heath?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't realise the amount of members from the local area. I may have to revise my list looking at some of the courses suggested!!! Any other suggestions would be great?

I actually played Army recently and liked it but wasn't blown away with the condition if I'm honest but did like the feel of the club which seemed very friendly and welcoming. I'm having a round at Camberley soon but they too are "digging" there greens up at the moment I believe.

Can anyone recommend a local pro to the Surrey/Hants borders? I am currently having my lessons in central London as I work in the city but the lessons are indoor and expensive.

We're having an open day this Sunday (19th) though I am away (in Derbyshire). I could almost certainly arrange for you to have a (free obviously) round with a member and afterwards a chat with other members and the club management team.

PM me if you are interested.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say that the Army condition is definitely superb from about the end of this month through to the end of September. The last 2-3 weeks has seen the greens tined and a better covering of grass on the fairways.

The rest of the year is definitely playable but with two soggy points on the course unless it rains very heavily.

North Hants is a nice course but I know lots of members and most of them admit it's not the friendliest club with lots of cliques and no drawn competitions.

I would highly recommend Jason Brant just up the road from you at East Berkshire in Crowthorne - which just to confuse you some more is another option that would be well worth considering and definitely the closest.

Richart - shall we sort a game out in May some time?
Sounds good Simon.:thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Of the 2 you are considering, I'd opt for Camberley from a course pov (I like heathland courses as they virtually guarantee all year round golf) - though Army is really rather nice. Not sure how either measure up as clubs, which depends on what you want/expect.

toffeelover

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played Puttenham GC last weekend which is only 20mins from my house. Talk about hidden gem, how did I not hear about this course before?
Thanks for the heads-up. I've not played Puttenham for about 20 years, but am looking for a nice course for a group of 'mixed ability' golfers!

I'll give them a ring :thup: will be great to go back there and see how it's come on.

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
Played there today in the Pro-Am. I do love that course, especially from 5 onwards! Lovely.
It was me chaps! As Rich said i did just join Blackmoor and its a little far but i got a good deal so cannot complain!!!!
Played with Wookie so i would say Army because he's such a sweetheart ;)

Ah - you needn't concern yourself about Blackmoor since on your way there you'd have to pop in to Farnham and you'd be so smitten that you'd never want to join another club in the Surrey/Hants Borders area...:)

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We're having an open day this Sunday (19th) though I am away (in Derbyshire). I could almost certainly arrange for you to have a (free obviously) round with a member and afterwards a chat with other members and the club management team.

PM me if you are interested.

@penfold - offer remains for Sunday - PM me if you fancy coming to have a look at Farnham and I'll see what I can arrange - as said - maybe get you a free round Sunday pm in the Open Day.

oneputt

Visit site
Hi Newbie

Just noticed your post and would suggest that maybe Puttenham should be another course in close proximity that would be worth a look.
http://www.puttenhamgolfclub.co.uk/pages.php/index.html

The proof of the pudding being in the eating why not come and try it for yourself. Experience a course that offers challenging golf in picturesque surroundings. At your age the rates are really competitive for membership. One thing is for sure you would be made very welcome. Let me know.

D

Deleted member 1147

Good job that it is only certain unnamed GM Forum visitors that do that......... :)

I can't believe anyone would have such awful etiquette, particularly a contributor to this forum :eek:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Newbie

Just noticed your post and would suggest that maybe Puttenham should be another course in close proximity that would be worth a look.

The proof of the pudding being in the eating why not come and try it for yourself. Experience a course that offers challenging golf in picturesque surroundings. At your age the rates are really competitive for membership. One thing is for sure you would be made very welcome. Let me know.
Your cheaper younger adult rates only seem to go up to 29. A lot of local clubs ours included go up to 40.

I am playing Puttenham for the first time in a charity day in May. Looking forward to it.:thup:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not played army but would have to be something special to beat C/Heath would be happy to buy a house backing into that and play the rest of my golf there if six numbers come in.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Newbie

I played puttenham for the first time a couple of weeks ago. A course with some great holes and fantastic views.

Its a very nice course which is certainly challenging. A few holes to start with when you think hey this looks an easy course but it gets progressively difficult and the views are fantastic in places. I was fortunate to get off to a good start , playing off whites managed to drive the first green (even though I didnt really know where it was :D) but then proceeded to 3 putt for par. Both me and my pp found the green in one a few holes later, a short par 4 downhill with the green sat down on the right. A birdie a piece.

Like I said it got harder and some of the fairways are very tight indeed. Cant remember what hole but theres a par 5 that you need 2 long and straight shots with trouble either side. Greens are small targets and very undulating. Good nick though for this time of year I thought.

Ends with a par 3 which seems to bother some people but not me. I bogeyed it so I cant say it was easy either!:whistle:

Then a couple of jars of Hogs Back Tea in the 19th to cap it all off, I would certainly go back.:thup:

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can't believe anyone would have such awful etiquette, particularly a contributor to this forum :eek:

I'd be tempted to write some rude remark on the ball! :rolleyes:

Would have to be a pretty good shot on some holes, like 17, though! And worthy of applause, rather than a rude remark, on the 18th! :whistle:

marshhr

Visit site
Thanks for the heads-up. I've not played Puttenham for about 20 years, but am looking for a nice course for a group of 'mixed ability' golfers!

I'll give them a ring :thup: will be great to go back there and see how it's come on.

Puttenham is a great course. Played there recently and the greens were outstanding. Better than West Surrey or Camberley Heath and very friendly people. Definitely give them a call 01483 810498 and i think they are doing some good membership offers, much cheaper than Camberley