New 'World Class' course for North Scotland....

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've got a foot in both camps, as a trials rider it is often the SSI that is thrown in the face of clubs which very often I think is BS and used as a coverall to say no, so I'm kinda sick of hearing and reading about oh the poor wee insects etc etc. However, from the economic side of things, I'm not convinced it would bring considerable tourist money to the area, though to be fair, I'm not even exactly sure where it is ??

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
They did both object when it was first proposed, but SEPA have with drawn its Objection and SNH were consulting as far as i know, no new evidence as such so very strange that SEPH have, Maybe just think they will be ridden roughshod over the same as Trump Aberdeen, which was a full blown SSI.

Or maybe they'll look at the example set by Machrihanish Dunes that has shown that careful management and working together has actually increased the flora and fauna and established a more healthy ecosystem. Believe me SEPA and especially SNH have absolutely huge power to oppose and stop developments if they so desire.

As for the Dornoch area not being able to support another top class links destination I would also disagree with that. Try getting accommodation in and around Dornoch in the height of the summer. Price it sensibly and it'll attract a lot of golfers and tourists. Get the accommodation right and your onto a gold mine. Brora is good but not in the Dornoch league IMO, Skibo is too exclusive so it makes sense to have another great track to tag onto arguably the best course in Scotland.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
. Believe me SEPA and especially SNH have absolutely huge power to oppose and stop developments if they so desire.

what about Trump then? both opposed and Scottish Gov overruled it.

And look at the promised economical dev Trump promised, so far 20 full time and a then some part timers namely Caddies.

Plus Castle Stuart is struggling, so not sure how another new course that's further away will be successful

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
what about Trump then? both opposed and Scottish Gov overruled it.

And look at the promised economical dev Trump promised, so far 20 full time and a then some part timers namely Caddies.

Plus Castle Stuart is struggling, so not sure how another new course that's further away will be successful

If Castle Stuart is struggling then they have the pricing structure wrong. I know its up for sale but unsure of the reasons behind it so I'll take your word that it is struggling. Sometimes less is more - get footfall up. To be perfectly frank its a course of two half's the lower links holes are absolutely stunning, the holes up top, especially the back 9 are pretty "meh" and reminded me of St Andrews Bay. Decent but certainly not of the quality that you have just played. And I'll qualify that by saying - in my opinion.

Americans flock to Dornoch, they totally "dig it". Almost every American that sets foot on Scottish soil with his sticks in tow has Dornoch on their itinerary. They all rate it and all make the trip. They visit castles and distilleries on their journey. Can only see another top class course enhancing that visitor power. I may be totally wrong , just my opinion.

Trump Aberdeen is hard to decipher the facts from fiction. I will hold my hands up and say I don't know if they breached any terms or conditions during the building process. The Scottish government only overruled the objection to the course being built in the first place. SNH would have had certain areas that Trump would not have been able to build his course on, they would have areas designated no go/entry sites. As I say I am unaware if these were flaunted or breached. It turned into too much of a circus to follow.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If Castle Stuart is struggling then they have the pricing structure wrong. I know its up for sale but unsure of the reasons behind it so I'll take your word that it is struggling. Sometimes less is more - get footfall up. To be perfectly frank its a course of two half's the lower links holes are absolutely stunning, the holes up top, especially the back 9 are pretty "meh" and reminded me of St Andrews Bay. Decent but certainly not of the quality that you have just played. And I'll qualify that by saying - in my opinion.

Americans flock to Dornoch, they totally "dig it". Almost every American that sets foot on Scottish soil with his sticks in tow has Dornoch on their itinerary. They all rate it and all make the trip. They visit castles and distilleries on their journey. Can only see another top class course enhancing that visitor power. I may be totally wrong , just my opinion.

Trump Aberdeen is hard to decipher the facts from fiction. I will hold my hands up and say I don't know if they breached any terms or conditions during the building process. The Scottish government only overruled the objection to the course being built in the first place. SNH would have had certain areas that Trump would not have been able to build his course on, they would have areas designated no go/entry sites. As I say I am unaware if these were flaunted or breached. It turned into too much of a circus to follow.

i see where you are coming from, Americans do flock to the area, but they only have time to play so many courses with another one, some of the local tracks will suffer, the likes of Tain, Golspie are already suffering. I have seen Dornochs AGM results and they have 16,000 visitor green fees in 2017, but thats everyone, reciprocals, Uk residents and opens.
As far as i know there are no plans to build any accommodation as part of this project. which in the summer months is in short supply, but in winter there is no demand, thats almost 5 months over winter. prob the reason no developers are jumping at the chance to build anything

The wife works for SNH and she was in Policy and advice at the time, i won't go into details, but they were ignored by Scottish Gov namely fatty Salmon, as were SEPA. Ive spoken to a few other SNH boffins and none of them were happy with what went on at Trump.

Funny enough i'm playing the championship course this afternoon with 3 members one of which is one of the ex captains who's still on Com, will try and see what he thinks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

I don't see how a few bar jobs at minimum wage is going to help the local economy.
So were do people stay and eat or buy fuel for the vehicles, whose going to supply the produce for the clubhouse etc, there’s lots of hidden extras from tourism and out of town visitors.
Look at the example of the forum visit to Trump Aberdeen, 50-60 people staying, eating and drinking in the local area, quite a few thousand was spent by those alone on that trip and we were by no means a one off.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So were do people stay and eat or buy fuel for the vehicles, whose going to supply the produce for the clubhouse etc, there’s lots of hidden extras from tourism and out of town visitors.
Look at the example of the forum visit to Trump Aberdeen, 50-60 people staying, eating and drinking in the local area, quite a few thousand was spent by those alone on that trip and we were by no means a one off.

The people who will come for this new course will be coming anyway, they come to play Royal Dornoch, its certainly not Aberdeen.
Dornoch has a very small population 1200 mostly retired. There isn't even a supermarket there. once the course is built, maybe 20 jobs, i'd imagine some of those will be poached from other clubs in the area. The course itself like others will be built by an Irish contractor same at Trump Aberdeen, with all the workers living in caravans on site.

A lot of these things get branded about and the cost of a development going into the local econ.

For instance there was a new bridge built over the Ness this year with a bypass. 10 Mil was branded about as being spent by the council. in reality the money all went to a Eire company and all that cash disappeared off there, with all the workers, living on site. no locals employed at all even the gardening company clearing up was not a local company.

The roads a great help but no money from it went into the local econ except maybe Tesco got a few extra customers

D

Deleted member 16999

The people who will come for this new course will be coming anyway, they come to play Royal Dornoch, its certainly not Aberdeen.
Dornoch has a very small population 1200 mostly retired. There isn't even a supermarket there. once the course is built, maybe 20 jobs, i'd imagine some of those will be poached from other clubs in the area. The course itself like others will be built by an Irish contractor same at Trump Aberdeen, with all the workers living in caravans on site.

A lot of these things get branded about and the cost of a development going into the local econ.

For instance there was a new bridge built over the Ness this year with a bypass. 10 Mil was branded about as being spent by the council. in reality the money all went to a Eire company and all that cash disappeared off there, with all the workers, living on site. no locals employed at all even the gardening company clearing up was not a local company.

The roads a great help but no money from it went into the local econ except maybe Tesco got a few extra customers
And who gets the money now these places are built? The forum didn’t go north to play Dornoch, some people added extra days and played other courses in the area and all needed to eat, sleep and drink.
The benefits to local communities can be gained long after these things are built.
As for the bypass I take it all these workers got food parcels and jerry cans of fuel sent over? :confused:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
And who gets the money now these places are built? The forum didn’t go north to play Dornoch, some people added extra days and played other courses in the area and all needed to eat, sleep and drink.
The benefits to local communities can be gained long after these things are built.
As for the bypass I take it all these workers got food parcels and jerry cans of fuel sent over? :confused:

as it says in my post Tesco

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Looks like the development is earmarked to enhance Dornoch. The hotel will be built in Dornoch along with all amenities. On site there will be a starters hut of sorts and the course that is it. Clients will be bussed out to the course from Dornoch. So there will be bus drivers required, hotel staff including bar and catering, cleaning, waiting staff, management etc.

The whole area will benefit once this is up and running.

I'd suggest its pretty similar to what Machrihanish Dunes has brought to Machrihanish. It has brought increased exposure, increased visitors, two top hotels and most importantly it has supported and enhanced the local community.

http://scottishgolfpodcast.com/coul-links-update/