New to the game, looking for advice on clubs!

Cooper2085

Visit site
Hey all! My kids recently started playing and having lessons, and while they've been having their lessons i've been over at the driving range "practicing".

I'm wanting to get more involved in the game but need to pick up a set of left handed clubs. I dont want to spend too much as i'm hoping to get good enough to upgrade at some point!!

I saw a cheap woodworm set which looks nice (i'm a fan of the lime green look!), and then their are a ton of wilsons around £200 to £300.

So i have a choice, buy the cheap set and maybe one "nice" club, or a set that might be better quality overall.

Any advice appreciated!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Go see the pro , who after 5 minutes will be able to tell you if you need stiff or regular shafts, he may even have something in stock you can start with.

No point in buying something that might be totally wrong for you

Good luck

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As mentioned if you can go to your local golf pro who will be able to advise you on 'best clubs for you'

Failing that check out Golfbidder, this forum and Facebook selling pages for great second hand choices.

As someone who has recently taken up the sport and understands some of the pitfalls I'd recommend sticking to known branded irons which hold a decent resale value so when you come to upgrade you won't be losing a great deal on them (check out Ping G series of irons, Cobra Amp Cell irons or Taylormade Rocketballz for great forgiving irons that will really help you get started)

Good luck and enjoy playing

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
See your pro as has been said. Ten mins with him could save you some heartache and money.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As above.

In addition, golf clubs are like cars. Stick to the prestige names, they are the equivalent to Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Bmw etc. Better a two yr old Mercedes E class than a brand new Ssangyong 😁.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mark Crossfield did an interesting review of a Wilson X31 boxset recently.

just came on here to comment the same as I literally finished watching the video a minute ago. Some great insight.. finished 1 over for the 4 holes he played with them.. they do the job get you into golf for £200 with everything

can always add more if you enjoy it

my mate started the game like that he then got his cobra irons which he plays to this day

I started with Texican Classics I think they were called.. did the job and so many people borrowed them when I got my pings a few years ago to try out if golf was for them or not

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That was a really good review. Crossfield's putting some good stuff out at the minute, is really setting the bar.

Big fan of his tbh, whilst I dont like his antics when hes out with a group of youtubers I find him to be the clown when he is doing his daily Vlogs and its just him or him and coach then I think he is fast becoming my favourite

whilst I still watch the others from time to time I find myself searching more for crossfields videos as he doesnt seem to focus on a method but to play to what you can

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Crossfield. His recent course vlogs have been great fun, especially the ones with Westy and Sullivan. I also love his coaching philosophy, love watching his live lessons, and then I'm a huge fan in regards to his constant evolution. He's constantly innovating, always coming up with new ways to improve the vlogs and all the other big youtubers tend to follow. They all have cinematic intros to their vlogs now with drones and instrumental music, they all have pro-tracer, he's constantly setting a new bar and forcing the other youtubers to step their game up. People might not like his antics on the golf course, but he's with friends and they're having a laugh. He's more than happy to laugh at himself and personally I find the antics hugely entertaining.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I say don't get bogged down with fittings specs yet, you don't know if this is for you or not. Get some clubs and get out there and enjoy the game first. I started with a hand me down set of clubs and slowly built up to what's in my bag currently.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd speak to a pro and see what he advises in terms of shaft and head and then shop around. Loads of second hand bargains out there. If you want new, then the Wilson ones Mark Crossfield reviewed would seem a reasonable starting point