New to London - advice on memberships

jamesgc

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've recently moved to London from Sydney and am looking to play competition regularly.

I live in South West London (SW13) and was hoping to get some advice on local courses which a good value for money. I don't mind driving upto 30 minutes for the right course. I work in the Slough area (Langley) so would be open to courses around there too.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks
James

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along and assuming for SW13 you're around the Kew, Brentford area. Number of courses locally including two in Richmond Park which are pay and play and I think have a club attached. There's places like Wyke Green at Syon Corner, Strawberry Hill near Twickenham and one I can personally vouch for as being friendly and a nice place to play and that's Wimbledon Common.

In the Slough area you have Wexham Park (three loops of nine there) Farnham Park and again a few withing easy travelling distance.

There are others and I'm sure others will be here with suggestions to help. Hope you find a new golfing home soon

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lots of courses along the A3 - a couple of pay as you play places are silvermere and hoebridge. Burhill is good but expensive for membership. All along the surrounding area off the A3, there are plenty of courses

jamesgc

Visit site
Thanks Homer!

Wimbledon Common looks good but it is pretty short...

In Oz a lot of clubs offer a "life style memberships which is relatively cheap but you pay full green fees and it allows to hold a handicap and play competitions at other courses that allow visitors on comp days - is there anything like this in the UK?

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wimbledon common is very short but tight and the greens are excellent normally. Downside of a short course is you don't get to use the longer clubs as much as you normally would. A great place to work on short game though

Two problems for me - you can't play on Bank Holidays and after 2pm on Sunday. Also there are many more people using the common these days which can be problematic at times

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your living in Putney, you have Richmond Park gollf club, The Richmond Golf club(other side of the park effectively) Mitcham Common or Royal Mid Surrey all relatively close to you.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've recently moved to London from Sydney and am looking to play competition regularly.

I live in South West London (SW13) and was hoping to get some advice on local courses which a good value for money. I don't mind driving upto 30 minutes for the right course. I work in the Slough area (Langley) so would be open to courses around there too.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks
James

Welcome to the madhouse. What would you consider to be the right course; by which I mean what are you looking for in a club and the course? And whereabouts in SW13? That can be a half hour rive from top to bottom at the wrong time of day!

I'd second Canmore's concerns about Wimbledon Common/London Scottish (two clubs share one course, tee times can get interesting) and the general public, also you have to wear red at all times which goes against the grain.

As for the Slough area, have a look at Burnham Beeches.

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Richmond Park courses tend to be pretty busy and slow to get around

Richmond Golf Course is great - nice clubhouse too. It is one of the more premium courses along with Royal Mid Surrey, Coombe Hill and Royal Wimbledon in SW London

D

Deleted member 1418

I'd second Canmore's concerns about Wimbledon Common/London Scottish (two clubs share one course, tee times can get interesting) and the general public, also you have to wear red at all times which goes against the grain.

Yes a couple of things I hated when I was a member of London Scottish - general public having picnics on some of the fairways in the summer........and having to wear red to distinguish between golfers and public!

And members of Wimbledon Common thinking they had the better club and golfers........!!! ;)

As BiM has said - depends where in SW13 you are really but you'll definitely find a club for you. Also get out towards Sutton and Cheam where you'll find 3 very good courses in Cuddington (my favourite out that way), Banstead Downs and Kingswood.

And obviously get yourself down to a Forum meet!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
SW13 means Barnes & environs presumably? So i guess The Roehampton Club will be your nearest. But I've no idea whether its easy to get in & l know its pricey. Richmond Park courses are next, nearest but pay & play and get busy. Wimbledon Common is nice enough for a day out (cheap too) but I'd not want it as my regular club. Too many dog walkers and arsey pedestrians. Royal Wimbledon doesn't let oiks in and they are too far up their own rear ends. Coombe Wood & Malden not too far away & both nice enough courses. Coombe Hill is a very nice place but i suspect it's neither easy nor cheap to get in. Heading west you get The Richmond Club, then Royal Mid Surrey is about the next nearest.

Plenty of stuff about - depends what you want and how big your wallet is.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm a member at Wimbledon common, it's a great club to be a member of. It's not long but you won't mnd that. It is very tight however. It's also possibly the friendliest clubhouse you'll ever visit. Comps every weekend and summer and winter four balls. Yes there's dog walkers but you'll get used to them. You hear stories of picnics on the greens but I've been a member 5 years, play twice most weekends and have never seen that! If you fancy a game drop me a PM

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
It all depends how far you want to travel and how much you are looking to spend.

get yourself into surrey and you have some fantastic options (and prices).

Ealing golf club has a good rep.

More info needed as your options are quite considerable

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
SW13 means Barnes & environs presumably? So i guess The Roehampton Club will be your nearest. But I've no idea whether its easy to get in & l know its pricey. Richmond Park courses are next, nearest but pay & play and get busy. Wimbledon Common is nice enough for a day out (cheap too) but I'd not want it as my regular club. Too many dog walkers and arsey pedestrians. Royal Wimbledon doesn't let oiks in and they are too far up their own rear ends. Coombe Wood & Malden not too far away & both nice enough courses. Coombe Hill is a very nice place but i suspect it's neither easy nor cheap to get in. Heading west you get The Richmond Club, then Royal Mid Surrey is about the next nearest.

Plenty of stuff about - depends what you want and how big your wallet is.

I'm a member at Wimbledon common, it's a great club to be a member of. It's not long but you won't mnd that. It is very tight however. It's also possibly the friendliest clubhouse you'll ever visit. Comps every weekend and summer and winter four balls. Yes there's dog walkers but you'll get used to them. You hear stories of picnics on the greens but I've been a member 5 years, play twice most weekends and have never seen that! If you fancy a game drop me a PM

I'm certain the club is a nice place & friendly - and i like the course too. But the other "traffic" on the course would do me in if i played on a regular basis. There's a bunch of us been coming for an annual get together for over 30 years now. Ok, its only one day but seems to us that the dog walkers & pedestrians have got less tolerant and rather more bolshie over the years. That not something you've noticed? Or is it something you just become immune to?

D

Deleted member 1418

If your bunker play is rubbish then London Scottish/Wimbledon Common is the best place to join as there aren't any!! And you'll like the course even more if you're a fan of par 3s over 200 yards!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you live in Slough, look at Gerrards Cross and Denham too.

http://www.gxgolf.co.uk/

http://www.denhamgolfclub.co.uk/

Denham is rather snooty and difficult to join unless you can get sponsored by existing members. The Buckinghamshire is quite close to Denham and might be a better bet. In the Slough area you could also consider Ritchings Park, Iver and Stoke Park (also rather snooty and upmarket).

Last edited: