New to London - advice on memberships

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would say there are also more users of the common today than there were 5-10 years ago - dog walkers, runners, cyclists, pedestrians etc

To be honest quite amazing how they keep the greens in such good shape

Lack of bunkers / practice facilities are another down side

jamesgc

Visit site
Picnics on the fairways and you have to wear red!!?? That's a bit odd...

I live in Barnes...

Yes a couple of things I hated when I was a member of London Scottish - general public having picnics on some of the fairways in the summer........and having to wear red to distinguish between golfers and public!

And members of Wimbledon Common thinking they had the better club and golfers........!!! ;)

As BiM has said - depends where in SW13 you are really but you'll definitely find a club for you. Also get out towards Sutton and Cheam where you'll find 3 very good courses in Cuddington (my favourite out that way), Banstead Downs and Kingswood.

And obviously get yourself down to a Forum meet!

jamesgc

Visit site
Good advice... Thank you

I live in Barnes and I don't want to pay stupid money... say around £1,200 or so a year...

The main goal is to obtain a UK handicap and play a few open tournaments at various different courses...

I'd prefer to drive 30-45 minutes to find a nice quite course within my budget and I work in the Slough area so somewhere between... I really don't like the the idea of the general public walking around on the fairways...

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated

James

SW13 means Barnes & environs presumably? So i guess The Roehampton Club will be your nearest. But I've no idea whether its easy to get in & l know its pricey. Richmond Park courses are next, nearest but pay & play and get busy. Wimbledon Common is nice enough for a day out (cheap too) but I'd not want it as my regular club. Too many dog walkers and arsey pedestrians. Royal Wimbledon doesn't let oiks in and they are too far up their own rear ends. Coombe Wood & Malden not too far away & both nice enough courses. Coombe Hill is a very nice place but i suspect it's neither easy nor cheap to get in. Heading west you get The Richmond Club, then Royal Mid Surrey is about the next nearest.

Plenty of stuff about - depends what you want and how big your wallet is.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say Ealing could tick your boxes, although I don't know how much the fees are, I suspect they'll be higher than £1200, but hopefully not by too much.

It's neatly located for you, not difficult to get to from work or from home.

I've played Roehampton a few times, which must be your nearest, it's not worth the membership fees for the golf alone. Although well maintained, the layout is average. You'd need to be using the tennis facilities and gym to get value out of it I would have thought.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Good advice... Thank you

I live in Barnes and I don't want to pay stupid money... say around £1,200 or so a year...

The main goal is to obtain a UK handicap and play a few open tournaments at various different courses...

I'd prefer to drive 30-45 minutes to find a nice quite course within my budget and I work in the Slough area so somewhere between... I really don't like the the idea of the general public walking around on the fairways...

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated

James

To be quite frank, you won't be getting a full membership anywhere local to Barnes if you are only prepared to spend £1,200, unless you are prepared to put up with the general public wandering around the fairways. Sorry if that's a bit blunt but the cost of golf around that area is much more than that. Coombe Wood do a lifestyle membership for £695 but the link to the flyer on their website is corrupted, Wimbledon Common is about £900 for full membership including the joining fee and the wandering public, and Richmond Park is £50 subs, £50 joining fee then pay as you go green fees or £90 per month/£990 up front for unlimited golf. As a guide to the cost of the others mentioned Cuddington is just shy of £1800 annually (although £100 is bar credit) plus a £2000 joining fee, Burnham Beeches is age dependant, but if you are over 30 it's about £1500 and a £2000 joining fee. Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's the way it is round this way.

jamesgc

Visit site
Thanks for the honest opinion... I sort of gathered this would be the case...

Ealing seems like a good fit for me... On the way to and from work and at £1,400.00 with no joining fee and it is sort of within my budget... Or maybe just join one of the lesser clubs in the short term just to get up and running with a UK handicap etc...

I travel a bit so wouldn't be able to fully utilise a membership at one of the better courses.

How many months in the year do you all think golfers are really active in the UK?

Thanks again for all the great feedback guys.

To be quite frank, you won't be getting a full membership anywhere local to Barnes if you are only prepared to spend £1,200, unless you are prepared to put up with the general public wandering around the fairways. Sorry if that's a bit blunt but the cost of golf around that area is much more than that. Coombe Wood do a lifestyle membership for £695 but the link to the flyer on their website is corrupted, Wimbledon Common is about £900 for full membership including the joining fee and the wandering public, and Richmond Park is £50 subs, £50 joining fee then pay as you go green fees or £90 per month/£990 up front for unlimited golf. As a guide to the cost of the others mentioned Cuddington is just shy of £1800 annually (although £100 is bar credit) plus a £2000 joining fee, Burnham Beeches is age dependant, but if you are over 30 it's about £1500 and a £2000 joining fee. Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's the way it is round this way.

jamesgc

Visit site
Ealing does tick the boxes for me... Thanks! I'm looking into it and will report back...

Do any members of the forum play there?

I'd say Ealing could tick your boxes, although I don't know how much the fees are, I suspect they'll be higher than £1200, but hopefully not by too much.

It's neatly located for you, not difficult to get to from work or from home.

I've played Roehampton a few times, which must be your nearest, it's not worth the membership fees for the golf alone. Although well maintained, the layout is average. You'd need to be using the tennis facilities and gym to get value out of it I would have thought.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You'll play all year round at Wimbledon if that's one of your aims/concerns. The walkers aren't as bad as many make out. A Saturday morning 3 ball will be about 3.5 hours, Sundays because it's 4 balls will be 4 hours, pretty much on the nose. Saturday afternoons can be like millionaire golf which for a London club is amazing!

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also - most places you join will allow you to get a County Card, which allows reduced green fees at a lot of good private courses in the UK (albeit mainly during the week)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks for the honest opinion... I sort of gathered this would be the case...

Ealing seems like a good fit for me... On the way to and from work and at £1,400.00 with no joining fee and it is sort of within my budget... Or maybe just join one of the lesser clubs in the short term just to get up and running with a UK handicap etc...

I travel a bit so wouldn't be able to fully utilise a membership at one of the better courses.

How many months in the year do you all think golfers are really active in the UK?

Thanks again for all the great feedback guys.

You're welcome, glad it helped. If you are travelling it might be worth investigating the Coombe Wood Lifestyle membership further, especially with the County Card option that someone else pointed out.

As far as active goes, I pretty much play all year round as do most at my club. It's really a matter of choice for you; most clubs are open & playable all winter, it's how much wet & cold you are prepared to put up with (he types as the snow falls outside in late April… :mad: :angry: )

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If your bunker play is rubbish then London Scottish/Wimbledon Common is the best place to join as there aren't any!! And you'll like the course even more if you're a fan of par 3s over 200 yards!

Especially ones which have a 10 yd wide entrance to the green flanked by Congolese jungle either side and a huge kick slope on the front that will most likely run it through the back over the next tee and into the Amazon rainforest.

Apart from that hole I quite like the course

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Denham is rather snooty and difficult to join unless you can get sponsored by existing members. The Buckinghamshire is quite close to Denham and might be a better bet. In the Slough area you could also consider Ritchings Park, Iver and Stoke Park (also rather snooty and upmarket).

I echo these thoughts apart from the Buckinghamshire being about 6k, would highly recommend Gerrards Cross from my research when I looked at places to join. The secretary was very friendly and the only reason I decided against it was having to use the m25 past heathrow so would never know when to set off as that can be a nightmare. Also Richings Park is definitely worth a look, have no idea re Iver.

You will be doing extremely well to join anywhere nice for 1200 unless you qualify for lower rates (U30) or something. Par for the course around here is about 1400-1700 for the full ride.

D

Deleted member 1418

Especially ones which have a 10 yd wide entrance to the green flanked by Congolese jungle either side and a huge kick slope on the front that will most likely run it through the back over the next tee and into the Amazon rainforest.

Apart from that hole I quite like the course

Think you are referring to London Scottish's 5th / Wimbledon Common's 12th? Yes, great hole - sunken green as well; don't want to have a bad swing on that tee-shot!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think you are referring to London Scottish's 5th / Wimbledon Common's 12th? Yes, great hole - sunken green as well; don't want to have a bad swing on that tee-shot!

Thats the one, utterly stupid golf hole, what are you meant to do? just hit a 4 iron 30-40 short and whack a putter down the slope to maybe make a 2 putt bogey? I mean its more or less a guaranteed re tee if you go slightly wide as there most likely are no feasible drops if you find it.

Might be ok from 50 yards closer but not from 237 with most people needing 3 wood or driver to get there.

Last edited:

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats the one, utterly stupid golf hole, what are you meant to do? just hit a 4 iron 30-40 short and whack a putter down the slope to maybe make a 2 putt bogey? I mean its more or less a guaranteed re tee if you go slightly wide as there most likely are no feasible drops if you find it.

Might be ok from 50 yards closer but not from 237 with most people needing 3 wood or driver to get there.

Weird par 3 - too long for its design

I think i just hit a hybrid and try to get within 20 yards of the green and chipped on.

Wimbledon Common is great to practice pitching/short game though, although the fairways are a bit rocky, and can ding your clubs easily

It's an enjoyable game there though, but perhaps not every week

fluffy

Hacker
Visit site
To Echo the sentiments of others:

Wimbledon Common is quaint, just don;t go there when the tennis is on.

Mitcham is pleasant and reasonably priced. Good beer crowd i've been told also.

Gerrards Cross is delightful. A little old school but I like it like that.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I echo these thoughts apart from the Buckinghamshire being about 6k, would highly recommend Gerrards Cross from my research when I looked at places to join. The secretary was very friendly and the only reason I decided against it was having to use the m25 past heathrow so would never know when to set off as that can be a nightmare. Also Richings Park is definitely worth a look, have no idea re Iver.

You will be doing extremely well to join anywhere nice for 1200 unless you qualify for lower rates (U30) or something. Par for the course around here is about 1400-1700 for the full ride.

I also considered joining Gerrards Cross GC a few years ago. The only thing that put me off was a 3k joining fee, Don't know if that still applies? If you want cheap and cheerful in the Slough area, Wexham Park is as good as any, and I was a member there for many years before joining my present club. Iver is frankly a slightly grotty little nine holer.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Might be the case that they waive it for intermediate age groups or got rid of it, but price wise there it is very competitive which I didn't expect.

Just looked, its waived for the categories U27.