New to golf, irons too advanced?

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all, basically iv been given a set of irons, they are Taylormade MB/MC combo set but

im a complete novice to the game. A friend said because the MBs (7 8 9 pw are mb) are blades they will be difficult to learn from. Do i give up on them and get rid, or keep them with the view that it may take abit more work to master but will be worth it in the end?

Thanks Tom

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all, basically iv been given a set of irons, they are Taylormade MB/MC combo set but

im a complete novice to the game. A friend said because the MBs (7 8 9 pw are mb) are blades they will be difficult to learn from. Do i give up on them and get rid, or keep them with the view that it may take abit more work to master but will be worth it in the end?

Thanks Tom

How well do you hit them. If you can get consistency and a half decent swing blades in the short irons aren't that tricky. It's a tough one though as a novice and I'd be tempted to move them on and use the money for something more game improver, with more cavity and forgiveness. Learn the game, get a swing that works reasonably and then have another think

D

Deleted member 1147

There are 2 schools of thought on this subject:

1 - Get rid of them - as a new starter you should use game improvement clubs, with big cavity backs, to help you get the ball in the air and so miss hits aren't as destructive.

2 - Keep them - bladed clubs are the purest form of iron, if you can hit them you can hit anything, and you will learn to hit the ball better because you will have to hit the middle and this will help you learn from your miss hits.

Personally I'd say if you hit them well keep them, if not try something a little more forgiving. You don't have to go for full on Ping style shovels to still get a bit of help from the club.

Good luck with your decision

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd stick with them. Harder to learn - but if you haven't played with 'easier' clubs you won't know any better and you'll develop a better feel - IMO< But if you want more immediate 'success' then I guess not.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have less forgiving Titleist irons than my pals Ping G30 irons. I feel I'm rewarded more for a better strike off the face with mine. I feel I can get a shot off anywhere on the face on his and of course it goes not a bad distance but am I really learning how to strike the ball?

Everyones differnet, but for me, I prefer the look and feel of my AP2's and how I strike the ball with them. I reckon it's personal choice and after all it's just a game and we try to make it as enjoyable as possible. Plus there's bag appeal for nicer irons. I'm shallow, I prefer to have Titleist irons in my bag than huge horrible looking game improving ones.

Lessons have also helped in that dept too.

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If he had been playing for yearsi could understand . But as a complete newbie I can't really understand how people are advising him to keep ...... Bit strange considering these clubs are designed for low handicap players .

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he had been playing for yearsi could understand . But as a complete newbie I can't really understand how people are advising him to keep ...... Bit strange considering these clubs are designed for low handicap players .

Pretty simple, if he is brand new there is no club on the planet that will help his swing. At this point its all about the swing! He could go either way, love it and play forever or quit in a month.

Blades are nothing to be scared of, they are not as forgiving as shovels but they are still golf clubs.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with both sides...

If you can hit them well then keep them. Get them re-gripped if needs be.

If you can't hit them, sell them on & get some more forgiving clubs. There are loads to be had all over the place. Gumtree, facebook selling pages, ebay, on here, sports direct etc etc. You don't need to spend fortunes to get started.

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty simple, if he is brand new there is no club on the planet that will help his swing. At this point its all about the swing! He could go either way, love it and play forever or quit in a month.

Blades are nothing to be scared of, they are not as forgiving as shovels but they are still golf clubs.

I understand your point , but an off centre hit on a blade is going to be way worse off. As a complete newbie you need all the help you can get.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand your point , but an off centre hit on a blade is going to be way worse off. As a complete newbie you need all the help you can get.

Lets say you sliced it... Club head open to path but it comes out the middle of the club.... CYA!

Lets say you sliced it... Club head open to path but it comes out the tow of the club. It might not make it to the rough... So is forgiveness really all that wonderful?

If your a nooby then any bat will do as its all about your swing and not about your kit. Does not look like this chap is coming back to check on our opinion anyhow.

Last edited:

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Keep them if you want to learn to play golf to a high level - get to a single figure or Catagory 1 golfer (Cat. 1 is a handicap of 5 or less). You'll learn to strike the ball perfect - you HAVE to strike the ball perfect (well... almost) to get good shots from them.

If, however, you want to go out and play on a Sunday afternoon with some friends, or are just not too bothered about becoming a fantastic golfer but want to play golf for the enjoyment more than anything else, sell them on and treat yourself to something aimed at a high handicapper. You'll be able to hit the ball to a decent level a lot quicker, and less-than-perfect shots will not be so destructive as others have said.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
But if its a slice Alex is there a club on the planet that'll give a good outcome

I thought the forgiveness factor was in the benefits to the shot outcome when its simply an off center hit

Maybe he works and will login tonight to check on replies

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
But if its a slice Alex is there a club on the planet that'll give a good outcome

I thought the forgiveness factor was in the benefits to the shot outcome when its simply an off center hit

Maybe he works and will login tonight to check on replies

Both my examples are the same slice, one is out the sweet spot, one is off the toe. No, there is not a club on the plant that will close the face to path for him. My point was that at this stage of the chaps golf journey only his swing is relevant, what he hits it with is largely irrelevant.