New to Golf and this forum. Just a quick hello and question

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Firstly winbase. I kinda know that a mat isnt going to make me a great putter, but I was so much a fish out of water, hopefully it will give me a feel for how the ball comes off the club, I was SO shocked at how fast it came off. I do agree though, I need some good on green practice, I will be getting ask my instructor how I can get some green practice.

In my opinion, putting mats are ok, but just a front room carpet works just as well. just cut a circle of paper the same width as a hole & use that.

You are right in what you say with taking an iron off the tee. If the driver goes awol & you end up 3 off the tee through penalty, you may as well have taken the iron, kept it straight & used the spare shots to make up any difference in length.

I can't talk though. I know if it goes well I can hit a 270/280 drive. but that is 1 in 20 drives. Still reach for the big stick in case it works. I should learn the lesson myself.

A lot can be said for the ball you use as well. If you just use random balls you find on your travels you don't get used to how a certain ball performs. I found myself playing better with one brand/model of ball.

I am not suggesting you go & get the most expensive ball because the pros use them, just stick to 1 brand/model.

I am a 28'r, I started last year with 144. Went round couple of weeks ago in 121. It has been a slow progress for me as I only had 1 lesson, try to get to the range as much as poss but life gets in my way.

The lessons will help, as will the range time but I found that course time is the best way for me to improve. Good luck with it & keep us updated!

There are lots of helpful people around to get advice or opinions from here too.

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site
A lot can be said for the ball you use as well. If you just use random balls you find on your travels you don't get used to how a certain ball performs. I found myself playing better with one brand/model of ball.

I am not suggesting you go & get the most expensive ball because the pros use them, just stick to 1 brand/model.

I think too much is made out of what ball you use especially as a beginner. I've read tests where a selection of handicappers from scratch to 28 use a variety of hard/soft balls to see what difference they really make, and the consensus usually is not a lot. If you *think* it helps then possibly it will, but the reality is performance wise it's not worth worrying about if your shooting 90+, so I would say don't get hung up on it, go for value, and forget the snob comments like 'oooh im playing a ProV1, sniggers at your top flight', just snigger back when they dump a couple of £3 balls in the woods :)

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think too much is made out of what ball you use especially as a beginner. I've read tests where a selection of handicappers from scratch to 28 use a variety of hard/soft balls to see what difference they really make, and the consensus usually is not a lot. If you *think* it helps then possibly it will, but the reality is performance wise it's not worth worrying about if your shooting 90+, so I would say don't get hung up on it, go for value, and forget the snob comments like 'oooh im playing a ProV1, sniggers at your top flight', just snigger back when they dump a couple of £3 balls in the woods :)

Maybe I mis-read your response, but to clarify my point a little.....

From personal experience of :
Using a Dunlop DDH for 1st 3 holes.
Lose the DDH off 4th tee.
Put a noodle long & soft into play for next few holes.
Loose the noodle on the 10th tee.
Put a srixon distance in play etc.

My putting was inconsistent, the short chips to the green were all over the place. Partly being a newbie but also thanks to the ball response off my clubs. I could really feel the difference.

The DDH were like rocks, the noodle like a bouncy ball.

My point was, use 1 brand/model to reduce the response of the ball being erratic.

I now only use srixon distance. I like how they feel off all the clubs & now I use 1 brand/model I can "predict" how it will respond to my putter, how far it will go with a certain amount of strike etc.

I don't go for snobbery with balls or clubs. People play with what they feel works for them & in their budget.

So I am not saying use a pro vi cause the pros do. I am not saying you should use budget balls cause you are new/high handicap. I am merely saying, sticking to 1 brand/model MAY help with consistency as it worked for me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome @Chris1976x to the emotional roller-coaster that is golf - and this forum :)

You do realise you've got hooked on the hardest, toughest, most mentally excruciating, tormenting and idiotic game ever invented? You do realise that...?