New Titleist irons revealed today

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loving the look of the AP2's but it'll be the 718 version at the earliest that I'll be trying, no chance of any new shinies at the moment.

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Crossfield said the he was surprised at how easy the MB was to hit.... certainly is stunning. And also loving the look of the T-MB's.

CB has always been a massively undersold iron, as the AP range is also very good!

Since Silvermere demo day, and now my 915 3 wood going in the bag, Titleist is starting to take over my life! Sorry Callaway!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As the keen eyed among you may have probably noticed today, Titleist has just taken the covers off its new 716 shineys, plus new 816 hybrids. For those that haven't seen them, here's some links below. Let us know what you think and any tech or other questions you have!

Here's our launch home page with anything and everything on, otherwise see the links below for your preference: http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/gear-news/new-titleist-716-irons-81164

Titleist 716 AP1 Irons
Titleist 716 AP1 irons launched
Titleist 716 AP1 irons review

Titleist 716 AP2 Irons
Titleist 716 AP2 irons launched
Titleist 716 AP2 irons review

GM compare Titleist 716 AP1 vs AP2
Compare Titleist 716 AP1 and AP2 irons

Titleist 716 CB Irons
Titleist 716 CB Irons launched
Titleist 716 CB Irons review

Titleist 716 MB Irons
Titleist 716 MB irons launched
Titleist 716 MB irons review

Titleist 716 T-MB Irons
Titleist 716 T-MB irons launched
Titleist 716 T-MB irons review

Titleist 816 Hybrids
Titleist 816 Hybrids launched
Titleist 816 Hybrids review

I know this might be an unanswerable question, but are there any statistics that could compare the AP2 710 with the CB 716?

Reason for asking, I changed to the XR Pro's at the beginning of the season, looking for more iron distance and forgiveness, basically had a shocking season, distance control was all over the place, consistency was non-existent.

I've put the AP2's back in the bag this week and it's like night and day, the control is back immediately.

So, considering either the 716 CB's or AP2's.

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
I know this might be an unanswerable question, but are there any statistics that could compare the AP2 710 with the CB 716?

Reason for asking, I changed to the XR Pro's at the beginning of the season, looking for more iron distance and forgiveness, basically had a shocking season, distance control was all over the place, consistency was non-existent.

I've put the AP2's back in the bag this week and it's like night and day, the control is back immediately.

This bit has nothing to do with the clubs other than a bad fit, unfortunately! :)

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This bit has nothing to do with the clubs other than a bad fit, unfortunately! :)

Disagree, it was a great fit at their hq, the specs where identical to the AP2s. Problem is more to do with the head being built for distance, I got so many flyers this year it was ridiculous.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

titleist 716 AP2 - 716 CB

only got a sneak try out of the 6i's

6i’s average #’s across 10 strikes - DG X100's in both

AP2 6i 30º - BS 132mph LA 14.9º SR 6190rpm PH 33yds Carry 189

CB 6i 31º - BS 130mph LA !5.2º SR 6550rpm PH 35yds Carry 182

speaking to a titleist guy he said that the 716 CB’s had a pretty ways similar MOI to the 714 AP2’s (guessing that's due if anything to 3i -7i having tungsten toe/heel weights) - though still would not class either as 'forgiving', guess 714 AP2 MOI tad better than AP2 710

716 CB’s felt, sounded a tad softer off face the 716 AP2’s had that little ways more of the titleist ‘click’ off face, sounded so felt a tad harder, maybes firmer

don’t know if that helps you any

also reading between the lines you were/are a pga pro or low am - the XR pro’s with the cup face tech plus tad stronger loft you’ve only got to change the AoA + the forward shaft lean to really tweak the launch angle & spin loft a few more degrees to hit the equivalent of a real hot flyer, my experience when hit a few on trackman on their launch - no good at all for reliable distance control just went a ways too far with very small change at delivery

you still got to be striking either the new 716 CB’s or the AP 2’s pretty near the button every time - as ever with either of these hit it a tad low off face & you’ll lose around 10+yds carry

am gonna wait to audition both the TM PSi Tour's, & the new Callaway Apex Pro's - even though the images around so far of these looks like they've changed the dna design build some

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
titleist 716 AP2 - 716 CB

only got a sneak try out of the 6i's

6i’s average #’s across 10 strikes - DG X100's in both

AP2 6i 30º - BS 132mph LA 14.9º SR 6190rpm PH 33yds Carry 189

CB 6i 31º - BS 130mph LA !5.2º SR 6550rpm PH 35yds Carry 182

speaking to a titleist guy he said that the 716 CB’s had a pretty ways similar MOI to the 714 AP2’s (guessing that's due if anything to 3i -7i having tungsten toe/heel weights) - though still would not class either as 'forgiving', guess 714 AP2 MOI tad better than AP2 710

716 CB’s felt, sounded a tad softer off face the 716 AP2’s had that little ways more of the titleist ‘click’ off face, sounded so felt a tad harder, maybes firmer

don’t know if that helps you any

also reading between the lines you were/are a pga pro or low am - the XR pro’s with the cup face tech plus tad stronger loft you’ve only got to change the AoA + the forward shaft lean to really tweak the launch angle & spin loft a few more degrees to hit the equivalent of a real hot flyer, my experience when hit a few on trackman on their launch - no good at all for reliable distance control just went a ways too far with very small change at delivery

you still got to be striking either the new 716 CB’s or the AP 2’s pretty near the button every time - as ever with either of these hit it a tad low off face & you’ll lose around 10+yds carry

am gonna wait to audition both the TM PSi Tour's, & the new Callaway Apex Pro's - even though the images around so far of these looks like they've changed the dna design build some

Great info, many thanks.

With regards to distances, knowing it'll go a bit shorter on a mis-hit has got to be better than wondering how far past it might go on any given shot.

Defo back to the forged irons for me.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, I'll come out and say it....
They're OK, they look like Titleists
The MB's look like MB's, the CB's look like CB's, the AP.....you get the drift.
Sure, there's tech in the heads to make them perform but, looks wise, at a glance I'd struggle to separate them from the previous incarnation - AP2 apart..
Nice but very Titleist......not that that's a bad thing..
Just can't get excited about clubs that look so similar to the last ones.

That would be my view too
Not a lot has changed in looks, except the cavity designs in AP range
So surprised at some of the ( drooling ) reactions on here......

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK, I'll come out and say it....
They're OK, they look like Titleists
The MB's look like MB's, the CB's look like CB's, the AP.....you get the drift.
Sure, there's tech in the heads to make them perform but, looks wise, at a glance I'd struggle to separate them from the previous incarnation - AP2 apart..
Nice but very Titleist......not that that's a bad thing..
Just can't get excited about clubs that look so similar to the last ones.

Just noticed this and it struck a chord.

I think deep down this is the reason I've not thought about getting the CB's the last couple of times I've changed clubs, they look so 2000.....

Tempted now though.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the 716 looks way better than the 714. I appreciate I might be alone.

dsc2043.jpg

reviewcbhero.jpg

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The difference between a cast and a forged club - much greater distance control with the latter, versus probably better overall distance with the former. I know which I'd rather have, certainly for mid irons down.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would be interesting to see where they place the AP2/CB in the ranks. Who is it aimed at etc. My theory is that it's AP1, AP2, CB then MB. Could be wrong. I reckon I could see myself kitted out with those CB's

D

Deleted member 15344

Would be interesting to see where they place the AP2/CB in the ranks. Who is it aimed at etc. My theory is that it's AP1, AP2, CB then MB. Could be wrong. I reckon I could see myself kitted out with those CB's

The CB's will be aimed at the lower HC who are confident in their ball striking and give just a little bit of forgiveness

They are blades with a bit of muscle behind them

They are like the TPMC or S55

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The CB's will be aimed at the lower HC who are confident in their ball striking and give just a little bit of forgiveness

They are blades with a bit of muscle behind them

They are like the TPMC or S55

Cheers. Could well be Ap2 for a bit yet then. Prefer the look of CB. AP2 looks very heavy and chunky. I guess it's designed to get some meat behind the ball.

D

Deleted member 15344

Cheers. Could well be Ap2 for a bit yet then. Prefer the look of CB. AP2 looks very heavy and chunky. I guess it's designed to get some meat behind the ball.

Will all depends on how well you strike a ball

Or how happy you feel with the clubs in your hands

D

Deleted member 1147

The view from above, of the 710 AP2s, is anything but clunky, and I doubt that the 716's are much different.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The view from above, of the 710 AP2s, is anything but clunky, and I doubt that the 716's are much different.

I have them and they are not chunky. I mean the back of the new ones are chunky looking compared to the CB's and the 710's

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
Rick Shiels review of the AP2 and CB's are quite revealing. Its good to see as the yardage loss froma slight mis hit is considerable and I would suggest very similar to the 714's
The AP1 does look much better though and even though he says its for high handicaps I believe a couple of Titleist staffers are considering using them.
The CB and MB in my view is a CB and MB, they have changed so little over the years, aesthetics only. I can hit any of them, but not consistently and maybes if I want fun in golf I would choose an AP1 AP2 combo set