New PING G30 low spin driver

Fish

Banned
Visit site
They can but if you saw Crossfield's and Shiel's videos Ping are claiming something like a 400 rpm reduction in spin with the new one over the standard G30. But on 2 shots both with the new 'reduced spin' one Crossfield got a difference of nearly 2000 rpm purely down to where he struck it on the head. So for me a handicap golfer would struggle to actually get consistent reduction in spin rates as if Crossfield is getting that much difference. Then you add in the inconsistency of the delivery angle most handicap golfers would have compared to Crossfield, then I am sure the average handicap golfer will get even more variation. So how much a low spin model will help the average handicap golfer is debatable in my book. Much rather have more forgiving models.

And have you won some kind of competition of something with all that driver testing?

I've not seen that video but I struggle to understand why someone like Crossfield would have a spin in excess of 4500 to start with to be able to reduce it by 2000?

Neils Tappins video here shows some good stats for him reducing spin with comparable swing speeds against the standard G30. It has to be said though, they [Ping] have aimed this or at least stated that it will suit more accomplished players with faster swing speeds who are seeking more distance and control.

It did reduce my spin, not as much as some other drivers but it did reduce it over a good few consecutive drives, but more importantly for me, I increased my ball speed off the face significantly and my dispersion was much improved.

Its a very nice club but you do need it to be fitted, like any driver IMO, the changes that were made across all the drivers were plentiful to get the perfect set-up, it really has opened my eyes and makes me wonder now how people get on with "off the shelf" purchases!

http://bit.ly/1BWuqXl

Fish

Banned
Visit site
fish is the new face of Internet golf videos, I believe we are just waiting on paternity test results from both Rick shiels and mark crossfield. Rumour has it, fish fathered them both in the 70's when he was in the armed forces travelling the world...

:rofl:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've not seen that video but I struggle to understand why someone like Crossfield would have a spin in excess of 4500 to start with to be able to reduce it by 2000?

Neils Tappins video here shows some good stats for him reducing spin with comparable swing speeds against the standard G30. It has to be said though, they [Ping] have aimed this or at least stated that it will suit more accomplished players with faster swing speeds who are seeking more distance and control.

It did reduce my spin, not as much as some other drivers but it did reduce it over a good few consecutive drives, but more importantly for me, I increased my ball speed off the face significantly and my dispersion was much improved.

Its a very nice club but you do need it to be fitted, like any driver IMO, the changes that were made across all the drivers were plentiful to get the perfect set-up, it really has opened my eyes and makes me wonder now how people get on with "off the shelf" purchases!

http://bit.ly/1BWuqXl

Think there's been some misunderstanding. From memory his average spin is around 2000 ish on drivers, possibly a bit lower on the low spinning models. And thwt was what he achieved with the new G30. But he hit one shot with a very low spin rate (1400?) and another with a very high one (nearly 3400?). These figures may not be completely correct but it's the principal. Both were kind of mi***** where he was very high or low up on the face.

But I do agree and take on board that on average spin rates will be reduced and also Ping, to their credit have stated that this club is for more accomplished players with a higher swing speed. Unlike other manufacturers who kind of sold low spin forward CG as a panacea for all, and neglected to mention that you really need to be an accomplished player with a decent swing speed to take advantage of it. And in fact if you are not these things and you lose the forgiveness that these clubs generally don't have, then you will probably be worse off getting one of these clubs. ;)

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Fish,

i am interested to read that you underwent a comprehensive fitting for a new driver recently. You seem to have tested a number of manufacturers across and wide price range - i wonder what your feedback would be regarding value for money and performance of perceived "lesser" brands.

I recently went to test the Ping G30 and compare it's performance vs my G15 - there was very little significant difference between the two models and certainly not sufficient improvement to warrant an additional £250. However, i did try the Yonex Ezone Xp and although the appearance may take some getting used to the performance was rock solid.

The staff member who fitted me was very knowledgeable and said that Yonex offer the best VFM in terms of the quality of the products they use in their shaft and club head. He said it was down to their knowledge and experience in racket sports which use graphite frames.

What did you think of the Yonex?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hi Fish,

i am interested to read that you underwent a comprehensive fitting for a new driver recently. You seem to have tested a number of manufacturers across and wide price range - i wonder what your feedback would be regarding value for money and performance of perceived "lesser" brands.

I recently went to test the Ping G30 and compare it's performance vs my G15 - there was very little significant difference between the two models and certainly not sufficient improvement to warrant an additional £250. However, i did try the Yonex Ezone Xp and although the appearance may take some getting used to the performance was rock solid.

The staff member who fitted me was very knowledgeable and said that Yonex offer the best VFM in terms of the quality of the products they use in their shaft and club head. He said it was down to their knowledge and experience in racket sports which use graphite frames.

What did you think of the Yonex?

I preferred the XP out of the Yonex drivers I tested today, as you state, it is pretty solid, my miss-hits were still straight, I didn't carve any of the drives even with off centre hits, I didn't like the graphics on any of heads but I got the feeling that Yonex are more about their shafts than anything, especially as you say with their association with racket sports etc. I got some very good carry distances with the XP but I don't think I would progress any further with it, it does what it says on the tin, if you know what I mean.

I think the whole experience has shown me that its easy to be drawn into brand snobbery, possibly unknowingly because I was surprised by 3 drivers which I hit extremely well and got some very good stats from, they were, in no particular order, Yonex XP, Wilson D200 & Benross Hot Speed2.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I posted in another thread that the improvement in Drivers in the last few years has been so little - because of the limits - that it's only new or very old Drivers that are really worth the prices. Launch Monitors are going to make this more and more obvious! So OEMs are going to have to do something different on the Marketing front pretty soon!