New putter.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I love my bettinardi both in looks and performance. But I still have a look around and am always tempted - atm I have toyed with getting a scotty.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tashy, which version is it?

I have the Stroke Lab, a pp has the Works one. Nothing between them, both crackers. They give you so much confidence on shorter putts and generally I put much straighter with it.

Odyssey stroke lab 2 ball fang putter

apparantly copy and paste in bold makes it better ???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Odyssey stroke lab 2 ball fang putter

apparantly copy and paste in bold makes it better ???
I'd heard the same, spooky ?.

I have that putter and I highly recommend it. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear, or is it ?. If you like that style of putter it is excellent, very stable through the stroke.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tashy

If its this version or the o-works model https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/7119/Odyssey_Putter_Stroke_Lab_2-Ball_Fang.html then simply go for it. I have the o-works model and apart from being a numpty and swapping it out today on a whim it is an excellent putter. So stable and with a good feel. I've been holing out really well (which makes todays decision even worse) and last week rolled putts in from all over the show

Tashyboy

Visit site
Well that never muddied the waters did it. Popped into Golfsupport to have a look at the Odyssey fang. They had one in. After having a play before he brought the putter in from the warehouse. It quickly became obvious that 33” is the length for me. Not 34” which is the one I have at the moment. I know it’s a cliche but the inch makes a differance. It stops me dropping my index finger on the shaft. What really surprised me was the grip. Coz I have girly size 8 hands I am happy with a normal grip. However when having a play the 33” clubs I played with had a fatter grip and it felt “ better”. Things were really getting clearer. Not.
One of the guys then came over. Me and him go back years. We have a good rapport and I have had a lesson or two off him over the years. He is a Liverpool fan. So there’s me, Rich the Liverpool fan and the first guy who follows Utd Having a natter.
Rich says ” here try this” it was a taylor made similar style to a Scotty Cameron Newport. It felt nice, very nice. I was very surprised. He then says it is a Taylor made which is out today for demo for sale on Feb 28th. However unlike the scotty it has a wedge shape on the top of the head to the handle. It looks odd but the balance is lovely.

Things have become more educated but not clearer. ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Before you decide, make sure you take a look at the new TM TRUSS range, not only is it an awful name, they're hideous looking putters too!

2-10.jpg

3-8.jpg

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Jeez that is ugly. I saw one on the telly at the waste management, and wondered what it was. Ugh. Revolting.

I have gone back to my 1980 BeCu Ping B60 for the winter. It suits slower greens quite well.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Companies have been making putters for years and are collectively, apparently, spending millions a year on R&D.

But ultimately a lot of putters look almost identical to the Ping Anser from c. 50 years ago. And most of the other designs are some kind of modified mallet that have been pretty common for the past few decades at least.

I also believe that it's likely that you will ultimately adapt to whatever putter you have. So there is something to be gained by sticking to a putter, getting lessons with that putter and practising.

So ultimately my guidance is get a decent putter that will age well, in materials and design, put it in your bag and leave it there for a long time.

FYI - Graeme McDowell, who putted the spots off it to win in Saudi (despite slapping it about the course for most of the weekend) has had the same putter for most of his career (albeit he has a few copies of the same putter). So is effectively still using the same putter that he won the US Open with in 2010. And he has unlimited access to as many shiny new putters that he cares to try... yet sticks with his old half mallet.

08-graeme-mcdowell-Odyssey-White-Hot-No-7-putter.jpg

Tashyboy

Visit site
Crow that’s the one. The thing is though that When he handed it to me, it was in a way that I could not see the wedge as your looking straight down the line Of the shaft towards your ball. The wedge acts as a counter balance.

Fugly, but it did feel nice. I could be wrong but am sure he said it’s from one piece of milled steel or chocolate or whatever it is like a scotty, to go up against a scotty. My first thoughts were like it’s comparing Bella Emberg to a supermodel.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Before you decide, make sure you take a look at the new TM TRUSS range, not only is it an awful name, they're hideous looking putters too!

2-10.jpg

3-8.jpg
Those are singlehandley the ugliest clubs i have ever, ever seen.

Uglier than even cleveland VAS

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Crow that’s the one. The thing is though that When he handed it to me, it was in a way that I could not see the wedge as your looking straight down the line Of the shaft towards your ball. The wedge acts as a counter balance.

Fugly, but it did feel nice. I could be wrong but am sure he said it’s from one piece of milled steel or chocolate or whatever it is like a scotty, to go up against a scotty. My first thoughts were like it’s comparing Bella Emberg to a supermodel.

A counter balance to what?
The only thing I can think of is a counter balance to good design.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
"Spending money on new shiney clubs is not going to improve your golf "

Is advice I dont listen to myself ??

D

Deleted member 21258

snip sick picture snip

You didn't mention, are you thinking of gaming it;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They are, but if they work who cares? ?
Me!
If the reason for the Truss is to make b,ade style putters as stable as mallets....what have they made mallets too..:unsure:

They're also being slightly liberal with the truth in claiming these are a unique design.
Rick Shiels found a couple of extremely similar looking putters fro a while back....
And they want 250 notes for them....:eek:

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Me!
If the reason for the Truss is to make b,ade style putters as stable as mallets....what have they made mallets too..:unsure:

They're also being slightly liberal with the truth in claiming these are a unique design.
Rick Shiels found a couple of extremely similar looking putters fro a while back....
And they want 250 notes for them....:eek:

Here's another similar looking one he didn't mention from that great development centre Aldridge in the West Midlands and home to Harold Bird & Sons, I give you the Avenger model, 1960s or early 1970s.

1580750049850.png

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I have often stated the opinion that the next putter designer to offer an effective model will be the first one ever.

I've stopped wasting money (for now) on the newest technology putters, because I always end up going back to either the Ram Zebra that I bought in 1978 or one of my hickory-shafted replicas of 1920s/1930s putters. The former is still a decent putter to the minimal extent that putters can be decent; the latter ones just look cool without performing any worse than anything else.

I add the "for now" because eventually somebody will fool me again with the next "can't miss" gimmick.
I'm only human.