New Kitchen Advice

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Was looking at kitchens recently. We’re moving and want to upgrade, all I want to do right now is find a price list for units so that I can see if my budget will work. Seems no one gives basic carcass price lists, we have to go sit down with a designer to get a cost. A complete waste of time for them and us when all I need right now is a basic idea.

Anyone know where I can get a cupboard unit price list from?

Try DIY Kitchens, you design your own and get a price.

yandabrown

Visit site
Was looking at kitchens recently. We’re moving and want to upgrade, all I want to do right now is find a price list for units so that I can see if my budget will work. Seems no one gives basic carcass price lists, we have to go sit down with a designer to get a cost. A complete waste of time for them and us when all I need right now is a basic idea.

Have you looked at IKEA? Ours is 15 years old and still going strong.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Spent 2 hours yesterday sitting down with a designer and the process is so frustrating as they dont like to reveal unit by unit prices and hide everything behind various sale discounts etc

What I would say is if you are redoing the whole kitchen then the units cost doesnt have to be that expensive and isnt actually that big a proportion of the works when you take into account worktops, appliances, fitting, flooring, electrics, plumbing etc and they are probably harder to budget for than the units

If you go to someone like Wren they will quote you a rough price based on how many units you want

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wickes, IKEA?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Spent 2 hours yesterday sitting down with a designer and the process is so frustrating as they dont like to reveal unit by unit prices and hide everything behind various sale discounts etc

That’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid for now. Just want to know if I can afford a sit down ??

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid for now. Just want to know if I can afford a sit down ??

Not sure if this will help but as a guide

Supply only:
The cheapest quote to start was just under 6k, for that we got: 6 base units(500 or 600), 800 pan drawers, tall oven housing, 800 larder cupboard, integrated dishwasher, single oven, induction hob, laminate worktops (approx 5m in 3 pieces), sink and tap

It got progressively worse from there (upgrading doors, adding internals to corner units, a breakfast bar and quartz worktops) took it to just above 10k

Both excluded fitting

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Supply only:
The cheapest quote to start was just under 6k, for that we got: 6 base units(500 or 600), 800 pan drawers, tall oven housing, 800 larder cupboard, integrated dishwasher, single oven, induction hob, laminate worktops (approx 5m in 3 pieces), sink and tap

It got progressively worse from there (upgrading doors, adding internals to corner units, a breakfast bar and quartz worktops) took it to just above 10k

Both excluded fitting

Just went for a walk around Wren. Kitchen design come a long way since we last did one, pleasantly surprised at the cost estimates too. Have to wait until we move now but at least have an idea of what to expect.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Supply only:

Both excluded fitting

Any idea of fitting cost?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Looking for experiences and recommendations around wine coolers…and if you have one…integrated or standalone (under worktop).

The integrated ones are mighty expensive, we could certainly use one and it would nice…is there an expectation (actual or growing) that folks are looking to have one in a new kitchen?

D-S

Visit site
Looking for experiences and recommendations around wine coolers…and if you have one…integrated or standalone (under worktop).

The integrated ones are mighty expensive, we could certainly use one and it would nice…is there an expectation (actual or growing) that folks are looking to have one in a new kitchen?

If your wife is already worried about energy costs (in another thread "My Mrs got quite upset yesterday evening when our cost for the day ticked over £14, saying she’s not working just to pay for our energy.") isn't having a fridge just to cool your wine going to increase household stress levels?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If your wife is already worried about energy costs (in another thread "My Mrs got quite upset yesterday evening when our cost for the day ticked over £14, saying she’s not working just to pay for our energy.") isn't having a fridge just to cool your wine going to increase household stress levels?
Indeed it might…but if she wants one she just going to have to accept the running cost of having one…

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

A wine cooler? I use the fridge or the back step in winter.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I recently installed a Wren kitchen for a client - he'd been quoted about £4500 for Wren to install it. I did it for £2600, and that included a few extra additions that wouldn't have been included in the Wren price for install.

I know they're generally more expensive than say Howdens - who I'd always recommend, but of course Wren are offering helpful payment terms and such like, which makes them attractive - but if you can - try and get a few quotes for an independent contractor to carry out the install, you might save yourself a few quid.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I recently installed a Wren kitchen for a client - he'd been quoted about £4500 for Wren to install it. I did it for £2600, and that included a few extra additions that wouldn't have been included in the Wren price for install.

I know they're generally more expensive than say Howdens - who I'd always recommend, but of course Wren are offering helpful payment terms and such like, which makes them attractive - but if you can - try and get a few quotes for an independent contractor to carry out the install, you might save yourself a few quid.

I get that but often easier said than done. Not always easy to get a reliable contractor.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Do you mean Howdens are cheaper for unit/ appliance costs? Just asking because the Wren site reckons they are cheaper on their comparison scale. I confess that I didn't even look further at Howdens yet - am only just embarking on the investigation process, having not actually moved into the house yet.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Your £2600 is pretty much what I’m expecting to pay for installation by our builder of our Howdens.

Interested if any currently doing a new kitchen are bothering about a wine cooler. We have a place where we could easy have one, bit tbh we are not too bothered - my Mrs isn’t exactly a wine connoisseur and I don’t indulge…just wondering if it’s something that most folk have installed…from what I’ve read here probably not.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Your £2600 is pretty much what I’m expecting to pay for installation by our builder of our Howdens.

Interested if any currently doing a new kitchen are bothering about a wine cooler. We have a place where we could easy have one, bit tbh we are not too bothered - my Mrs isn’t exactly a wine connoisseur and I don’t indulge…just wondering if it’s something that most folk have installed…from what I’ve read here probably not.

Not planning on a built in cooler myself, maybe useful, but happy with the built in wine racks I've seen in Wren. Can put a bottle of wine in the fridge when I want to chill it.