New Kitchen Advice

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks more and more like we might have to go down the recirculating route so any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Separately. We plan to have a carpenter build a ’Utility cupboard’ for standard side washing machine and a dryer stacked and want this to be solid with a proper door for sound baffling. The space for it is tight front to back. I’m thinking we just need the door to be able to close with a small gap for any vibration. From wall to front face of door I’m thinking 750mm will be sufficient for the machines plus the framing and door. Thoughts.
Is the 750 internal carcass or excluding including door?
Wheres the electric plugs, water inlet and waste plumbing?
Have you checked on the depth of new washers and condenser dryers?
Have you considered how they might be access if a repair is needed?
Being inside a carcass will make them noisier.

Where is your cooker hood going to be in relation to the outside wall?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is the 750 internal carcass or excluding including door?
Wheres the electric plugs, water inlet and waste plumbing?
Have you checked on the depth of new washers and condenser dryers?
Have you considered how they might be access if a repair is needed?
Being inside a carcass will make them noisier.

Where is your cooker hood going to be in relation to the outside wall?
Will cogitate on these matters.

750mm was exterior size including door. But I will make it what is necessary and sufficient. We are using our current washing machine and drier and my 750mm was essentially a minimum exterior dimension back to front based upon their current installations.

Cooker hood…ducting run to external wall would be about 6m max with one right angle bend.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will cogitate on these matters.

750mm was exterior size including door. But I will make it what is necessary and sufficient. We are using our current washing machine and drier and my 750mm was essentially a minimum exterior dimension back to front based upon their current installations.

Cooker hood…ducting run to external wall would be about 6m max with one right angle bend.
Just keep in mind that machines have been getting deeper as people want greater capacity, and product ranges have shrunk alarmingly. A 750 deep unit externally, will now only leave you around 80mm for all services which sounds plenty but depending on where they are can leave you short and in trouble further down the road..

6m run for a hood is too much. Can you not put the hob and thus hood on an external wall?
Recirculation is possible with most, but you will probably need to replace the charcoal cartridge every 3 to 6 months, and they can be expensive …if you want good results.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just keep in mind that machines have been getting deeper as people want greater capacity, and product ranges have shrunk alarmingly. A 750 deep unit externally, will now only leave you around 80mm for all services which sounds plenty but depending on where they are can leave you short and in trouble further down the road..

6m run for a hood is too much. Can you not put the hob and thus hood on an external wall?
Recirculation is possible with most, but you will probably need to replace the charcoal cartridge every 3 to 6 months, and they can be expensive …if you want good results.
Makes me think we could duct to the side rather than the back…that way could be about 4m

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are there such things as booster fans that can be installed in the duct to help things along...somehow connect to main hood switches...?
There are,but not quite what you’re wanting.
There are some that do hoods for external motors( Miele and Weston come to mind), but even then you are talking more about a commercial system (and cost).I used to have a single motor telescopic hood, but when I had a second consrvator it became obvious things would have to change as the exhaust was blowing out the wall straight at the window height and if they were open the exhaust filled the conservator. So I changed the telescopic SIemens for a Miele under cupboard type with twin motors. I then increased the hole through the wall to 6 in and ran galvanised ducting up the outside to an elbow then out to atmosphere. The total duct length is about 2.8 metres with a total of 3 elbows. Because it’s in 6 inch duct it mitigates the length and the air is blasted out with vengeance.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There are,but not quite what you’re wanting.
There are some that do hoods for external motors( Miele and Weston come to mind), but even then you are talking more about a commercial system (and cost).I used to have a single motor telescopic hood, but when I had a second consrvator it became obvious things would have to change as the exhaust was blowing out the wall straight at the window height and if they were open the exhaust filled the conservator. So I changed the telescopic SIemens for a Miele under cupboard type with twin motors. I then increased the hole through the wall to 6 in and ran galvanised ducting up the outside to an elbow then out to atmosphere. The total duct length is about 2.8 metres with a total of 3 elbows. Because it’s in 6 inch duct it mitigates the length and the air is blasted out with vengeance.
I shall have a discussion with my builder and kitchen fitter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Getting towards the point of ordering appliances for our new kitchen.

Anyone got any experience or knowledge of combination oven/grill/microwave. It seems that these tend to not have a turntable for microwaving and that for some that is a problem. Indeed the AEG one we’ve been spec’s for has, in some places, poor reviews based upon that along…other places reviews are not so critical. Confused.

If we go down a different route and choose to go free standing MW, any thoughts on putting it in one of the kitchen wall cupboards?

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Anyone got any experience or knowledge of combination oven/grill/microwave. It seems that these tend to not have a turntable for microwaving and that for some that is a problem. Indeed the AEG one we’ve been spec’s for has, in some places, poor reviews based upon that along…other places reviews are not so critical. Confused.

If we go down a different route and choose to go free standing MW, any thoughts on putting it in one of the kitchen wall cupboards?
Yes, plenty:)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

We have a Neff one. It works perfectly well. Until you have used it as an oven, the the microwave is disabled until it cools. It’s not often a problem for us.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I find these poor reviews are from people who don't know how to use them because they are not used to them. Blame the tech rather than the fact it's user error

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On
I find these poor reviews are from people who don't know how to use them because they are not used to them. Blame the tech rather than the fact it's user error
The main complaint seems to be the lack of a turntable for MW heating means you have to turn the dish during heating. My experience is that most ready meals will tell me to uncover and stir half way through…well surely I’d simply then put it back in turned ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The main complaint seems to be the lack of a turntable for MW heating means you have to turn the dish during heating. My experience is that most ready meals will tell me to uncover and stir half way through…well surely I’d simply then put it back in turned ?

Yet with the flatbeds (which I have) you can fit so much more stuff in the microwave itself without it getting stuck ie big plates ..

Plus they are soooo much easier to clean.. just spray down no stupid turn table that falls out of place again and again

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The combined standard oven/grill/microwave one (as you have?) specd for us…

https://www.johnlewis.com/aeg-kme52...VibbtCh1pPQroEAQYAyABEgIdXvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

…is expensive and the negative reviews (mostly about about no turntable) have put my Mrs off one, and that‘s a pain as it takes us down the route of stand-alone standard microwave plus integrated small oven with grill, and that might require a rethink of our kitchen layout, unless we can safely put the standalone mw in a cupboard.

I'd get it and tell the wife to read the manual lol

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

We went separate oven and separate built-in microwave (i.e. not on the worktop). Far easier imho.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We went separate oven and separate built-in microwave (i.e. not on the worktop). Far easier imho.
Separate small oven in addition to a main oven, plus built in MW? Or no small oven but main oven plus microwave? And where’s your grill…? Just doing a bot of canvassing of option. We have a small oven with grill in our current standalone cooker, but I could count on one hand the number of times we have used the small oven. So we are questioning our need for a 2nd oven- but where then a grill…?

D-S

Visit site
Separate small oven in addition to a main oven, plus built in MW? Or no small oven but main oven plus microwave? And where’s your grill…? Just doing a bot of canvassing of option. We have a small oven with grill in our current standalone cooker, but I could count on one hand the number of times we have used the small oven. So we are questioning our need for a 2nd oven- but where then a grill…?
We went with built in Neff oven and a built in Neff microwave/grill. Always thought I might need a second oven but haven’t really felt the need except fo Christmas. Now our Ninja dual basket air fryer will give me many more options at Christmas and I’m glad we never went with the 2nd oven.